Magic Marker Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It always makes me nervous when I haven't felt the baby move. I once went a whole week without seeing my mare's baby move. I was relieved when I just happened to see it kick 3x in succession. I then went I couple days more before seeing movement again. Hopefully, yours is due to baby lined up and in position!

Sounds like they are really almost ready to go!! Nipples will fill with foaling -- so keep watching them VERY carefully and VERY often! Sounds like it won't be long now!

Safe foaling!

Diane...

This is Kari... I sent you a message (via yahoo) a couple of days ago, asking about an Appaloosa stallion...

Toni and I are considering adding Appaloosa to our color line up... I've been pouring over Appy Mini websites for a few days and would appreciate any guidance you may give us.

Thank you,

Kari

sounds like your girls are getting close! they shouldn't take much longer now
default_smile.png
though it seems the girls this year are holding out on us with the babies LOL.

love the name Kari
default_smile.png
I have a pet named Kari.

Sorry. I sometimes forget to check that one. but have it set to notify me! Going out now to look!!!!!

Last edited:
So sorry. I have that open 24/7, but I forget that after a few days Yahoo shuts it down looking for the password again -- so it stops notifying me of incoming mail. I have to do better!

I sent you a reply!
default_thumbup.gif

Since the two remaining mares have come to a standstill, here's a couple pictures of the first three babies. Dice is a month old and stuck up. He thinks people are going to eat him. Dash and Diva are 2 weeks old. Dash decided to be brave lastnight and came up to me. Diva loves poeple and readily comes up to you. I tried to get a picture of the two boys, to show the size difference. The picture is a little too far away, Dice won't get too close. The boys are two weeks apart in age, but 6"(LOL) apart in size. Here's also a picture of two of our kittens from the four litters earlier.

SANY0665.JPG

SANY0660.JPG

SANY0661.JPG

SANY0669.JPG

SANY0673.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you say "V'd". This is Annie this morning. The liquid from her nipples is turning to a cloudy color and her nipples are filling. Freckles nipples are filling, but the liquid is clear.

SANY0674.JPG

Looks like you will be seeing a baby soon
default_thumbup.gif
Don't leave her alone from now, get your blanket and move into the barn
default_smile.png
Is someone at home during the day watching them?

Safe foaling
default_pray.gif

I'm home 24/7. We had to move horses around, so the two remaining mares are in the backyard. Had to separate the stallions, so they are in the individual stalls. Annie(she is blind in one eye) is very attached to Freckles, so they stay together. I sit on the backporch and watch them.

Certainly is moving ahead -- just beautifully!! You're going to have another BABY!!!!!!

Safe foaling, and I'll be looking for the announcement!

Annie foaled last night about 11 pm. It was a red bag and we were unable to save the foal. She was a sorrel tobiano (highly likely homozygous). From the baby's appearance, we think she wasn't as far along as we thought. We measured the foal and she was about 17 inches high. We think she wasn't due until mid-June. The first stallion we bred her to was a black frame overo. (Annie is smoky black splash homozygous tobiano.) After we moved to Tucson last June, Annie came back into heat (about 45 days after breeding her to Hawk) and we bred her to a bay homozygous tobiano stallion with splash. Either stallion could have produced sorrel tobiano... Without DNA testing, we'll never be sure which stallion was the father...

Based on the pics below, can anyone tell if the foal was premature?

With heavy heart,

Kari & Toni

SANY0676.JPG

SANY0678.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry for your loss . ...just heartbreaking (((HUGS))))

Red bags are scary for sure. Hoping Annie is doing ok

I've no experience in preemies but she looks fully developed to me

but others will know better

again I'm so sorry

Thank you... I'm going ahead and milking the colostrum (we didn't do it for Shadow)... I wanted something 'good' to come out of it. Kari

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful baby girl. I really feel for what you're going through. Luckily your mare is still with you. It doesn't lessen the pain, I know. Best wishes to you and your mare. And big hugs to you.

I am very sorry for your lose
default_sad.png
I am sending prayers for poor Annie. Was it a dysocia? Please let us know what happened to help the others learn.

The filly looks fully formed and not premature to me.

I did some research on 'red bag' last night and this morning. The correct term is placenta previa... premature detachment of the placenta... The typical 'red bag' is from the fertilized egg attaching itself too low in the uterus or too close to the cervix. The placenta can grow over the cervix and this is what is seen as the 'red bag.' The placenta detaches, is expelled first and then the foal. If you get to it in time, you cut through the placenta, reach in and pull the foal out. However, there is still the risk that the foal is oxygen deprived and results in a 'dummy foal.' It takes only a few minutes for the foal to suffocate.

Sometimes the placenta detaches and the foal and placenta are delivered at the same time. If the placenta detaches and the foal is without oxygen en utero, the foal suffocates inside the mare. When delivered, it is stillborn.

Cause for placenta previa can be endophyte toxemia from fescue hay contaminated with the endophyte fungus (common in eastern states such as Missouri). Placentitis (infection of the placenta caused by bacteria entering through the vulva) can cause premature detachment... and, I also read, if the placenta is attached too low, the foal can lay against it and the pressure causes detachment. In normal pregnancy, the placenta is attached to the uterine wall above the foal...

Last night, I assume the placenta came out before the foal or right after the foal and the foal couldn't break out of the bag quickly enough and suffocated. Placentitis and endophyte toxemia causes tough bags as well... So, two things happened... The placenta detached too quickly and stopped the oxygen flow AND the bag was too tough for the foal to break out of on its own when it was delivered...

It is also quite possible the placenta detached inside Annie even a few days ago and the foal had already suffocated... We did notice that all movement stopped about 3-4 days ago...

If a mare has placentitis (infection of the placenta), it can be remedied by administering antibiotics about 30 days before the foal is due...

Unless I have a necropsy done, I won't really know what happened.

I bought this mare last May with her yearling filly. The previous owner had a hard time delivering the foal (filly) the year beore and the filly was damaged in the hind quarters during delivery... In retrospect, I don't know if this caused a uterine infection or not... I also don't know if a uterine infection can last two years. Annie is well-fed (primarily alfalfa hay) and had no issues this past year. She is blind in one eye as the previous owner didn't know she had an eye infection and never treated it. She is also 16 years old. In all other respects she acts like any other horse in our herd. She is low on the totem pole, but for the last 3-4 months she has been with only the pregnant mares and she buddied up to Freckles... Freckles sometimes pushes her around, but most of the time they eat together and stand nose to tail and scratch each other or just flick the flies off each other with their tails...

Kari

Latest posts

Back