Made a Wood Horse Feeder Myself

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
Actually, it's made out of scraps of tongue-n-groove pine (49 cents) from Menards which I cut in 19" lengths. Then, I bought three (3) 2x2's to make the frame to attached to pine pieces (screwed them in place). Then, for a finishing touch, so the babies won't hurt themselves on the edges, I screwed a piece of finish trim (shaped as a rope which we used on our kitchen cabinets) over the top. Here's a close-up with the foals munching away!

FeederClose.jpg

My Swiss husband is unhappy that I used "expensive" screws and doesn't think it'll stand the test of time!
ohmy.gif
My friend, Capt Dan, who did the interior work on our house (whom I helped), said that my "screw job" is definitely an "overkill" when he inspected it.
biggrin.gif
Hmmm, I wonder who to believe! LOL!

FeederFar.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!

Cindy

saludando.gif

Great thread!

(1:30am here...)

Yesterday Hubby and I set posts in the ground (concrete on bottom, attached to rafters on top) in Q's 12'x20' stall and today (after I sleep and wake up) we will construct the feeder. The feeder is for round bales.

I like how you spaced the slats for ventilation. I will bring that up with Hubby...

Heidi

Great Job! Maybe hubby is worried you're getting a little too handy?
whistling.gif
I love to see neat things like this, keep up the good work!
thumbup.gif

Great job! I would keep a close eye on them though. If they (or one) starts bullying in that close a situation, someone or a few, may get pushed away and not get any. May have to get the tools out and make another
smile.gif
You did a good job!

GREAT JOB!
aktion033.gif

I love to us women use our skills! I made the wall hay racks in our 4 stalls. My hubby was surprised. He said I didn't know you knew how to use a saw!( we've been married 6 yrs!
wub.gif
) I said to him I still don't think you know how to use the washing machine! But I'm praying one day you'll surprise me!! LOL!
biggrin.gif

Keep the ideas comming!

Leya

aktion033.gif
Good reply, Leya!
aktion033.gif

Sure wish I had a "comeback" like that, puts things in perspective! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cindy,

Great Feeder!!! It looks well made to me and will certainly help on wasting hay!

The horses all look so well behaved and content!

Sooooo!!!!! NOW when can we place our orders????
aktion033.gif

Your hubby is just just plain jealous that you showed him up and that he didn't think of it first! I like it and I think it works well. They sure are enjoying it.

I think you should make another one too so they can spread out more or pull it away from the fence so some can go around and get on the other side! I like the way you left space too for air and also if someone puts their foot in it, it's wide enough so that it won't get stuck. Genius!

I think you're a genious woman!! I think it'd be a good idea too to put it so they can eat from both sides! By the way, little Jubi is a doll
wub.gif
, he sure did stay small, didn't he? His momma Lucy was open this yr but she needed a yr off, had 4 foals in the last 4 yrs, and they all looked like Jubi except one. Back to the hay rack, neat idea!
yes.gif

Kenny started earlier than me...I'm a night owl so I sleep from about 3am to 9 or 10am. Today, I went out and worked with him from 10am until 5pm with NO lunch break! I must confess that if I eat lunch, I crash and must snooze for a few hours...so no lunch today.

Manger is nearly complete.

We still have to figure out how we want to close the bale into the manger so until this bale runs out, we can think up ideas. We also didn't install upright slats on the front of the feeder...I didn't want Q to rub her mane, but we may need to do something to hold the bale in....

We did screw an old broom head to the corner of the feeder, this will prevent any scrapes and give her a place to scratch!

We dug the hole for the gatepost and Kenny had already run power down to the barn 'area' last year (which wound up in the stall...) so we have cut Q's stall area so she can't tromp on the uncovered power piping. We will dig it over to the tackroom area next weekend and level the floor of the barn.

Kenny loves animals, but has never been around horses except during our marriage. We only keep one horse at a time because his job would not allow him to keep a horse fit and I can't exercise two.

Q was fabulous today!

She hung out near us and never even FLINCHED when the pneumatic nail gun was shooting nails and hissing air, when Kenny disconnected the hair hose to change tools and it would give a big hiiisssss, air compressor would go off and sound like a jackhammer, power saw cutting lumber and spitting sawdust....never batted an eye.

Unspookable, I tell ya!

I'm whooped. Here are some pics:

Heidi

This is Kenny and Q:

jq.jpg

Q in the stall area w/ manger:

kp.jpg

Manger:

ch.jpg

Manger w/out hay, showing construction, solid red oak floor, red oak front and back, half-side w/cattle panel for ventilation, still need entry door for bale:

cd.jpg

Cindy,

That looks great!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

I was going to tell your husband to 'simmer down' but thought it a little rude, Oh I just did!!
wink.gif
wink.gif

They are only screws!!

Well your horses look thrilled with your carpentry!!

I have to laugh because my husband is a "Yes Man", he always says Yes but half the time he isn't listening!!

So when I hooked up the trailer to go get my latest addition all he said was "Are you selling a horse or buying one?" I said I am going to pick up the horse I have been talking to you about for over a month, he said "Oh yeah, right!!!!!!!"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing your handy dandy idea with us
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back