Macrame

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My sisters and I are getting together today to make macrame plant hangers. Haven't done macrame in 30+ years. All the supplies are different than "back in the day". Now paracord and cotton rope are used. Hope to post a photo of a finished hanger later.

Those were very popular when I was growing up in California. I have a little book that gives you patterns for macrame horse tack, but I've never tried it. I hope you will post some pictures of your work.

I used cotton macrame rope and my sister used paracord. The rope was a little hard to work with; propbably won't buy it again. It was a little challenging figuring out the knots but we were both pleased and I'll make another. I'm using this one for some hoya plants that will set inside the fish bowl. It will be indoors. Haven't figured out how to hang it yet. The cotton cord is not suitable for outdoors.
What kind of horse tack?hanger.jpg

Nice, I imagine it's hard to keep up on all those knots and twists. The little book has patterns for halters, bridles, breast straps and I think cinches. I will have to find it.

I remember making those when I was a kid! We had one that we used off and on until about 5 years ago when if finally rotted through at the bottom. They were fun to make. I'd love to be able to do a halter.

I found my little book, it's 24 pages (plus an insert) and paperback: Macrame Horse Tack by Carol Peterson
She had a shop in Riverside, WA, Carol's Custom Macrame, back in the 80s. It's got instructions for making breast collars, headstalls, halters, reins and a lead rope but all for full/average size. Looking at it, I remember why I never tried to make any of it. o_O If anyone here would like the book, let me know, it would fit in a 8" x 10" manila envelope, and I would be happy for someone to get some use out of it.

I found my little book, it's 24 pages (plus an insert) and paperback: Macrame Horse Tack by Carol Peterson
She had a shop in Riverside, WA, Carol's Custom Macrame, back in the 80s. It's got instructions for making breast collars, headstalls, halters, reins and a lead rope but all for full/average size. Looking at it, I remember why I never tried to make any of it. o_O If anyone here would like the book, let me know, it would fit in a 8" x 10" manila envelope, and I would be happy for someone to get some use out of it.
Sounds intriguing, but it's probably beyond my skills. If one could go to a workshop and have a tutor it would help. There used to be folks on here that made all sorts of tack out of baling twine. It must have been done with macrame.

Hi, apologies for commenting on an old thread, but if you've still got the book I'd very much love to have it, and I'd be happy to cover shipping!

Latest posts

Back