macaroni salad

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
We are having a big family reunion and I'm in charge of making macaroni salad.
default_unsure.png
Would you share your family secret macaroni salad recipe, please?!

I use a cooked dressing for both macaroni and potatoe salad

The ingredients are ; (approx. since I don't measure)

milk (1 cup)

white sugar (1/2 cup)

vinegar (1/2 cup)

olive oil(1/4 cup)

dry mustard (1 tbspn)

Mix and heat to dissolve sugar and mustard then....after you have tasted the mixture for desired taste......add some corn starch to thicken the mixture

Once thickened to your desired consistency, add a large cup of Mayonnaise and thoroughly mix again.

I just throw the homemade mixture together and taste until it's a flavour I like, then I add the cornstarch or flour to thicken and once thickened and smooth, add the mayo.

I know some people will throw an egg in the cooked mixture as well. That will just make it richer and higher in calories. I usually do not use the egg.

Just took a look on the web and saw this one...sounds a bit like my cooked dressing; I highlighted the red part of their recipe and this is what I cook, however they aren't saying to cook it.

4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

1 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup distilled white vinegar

2/3 cup white sugar

2 1/2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard

1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 large onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped

1/4 cup grated carrot (optional)

2 tablespoons chopped pimento peppers (optional)

Add to Recipe Box

My folders:

Add to Shopping List

Customize Recipe

Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.

In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, carrot, pimentos and macaroni. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, but preferably overnight.

Here's a link to a few recipes from Hellmanns Mayonaise. My Mom always made the potato Salad from the hellmanns mayonaise bottle and everybody always made my Mom bring the potato salad anytime there was a party!

http://www.hellmanns.com/recipe_search_res...2macaroni+salad

Mine is not fancy but everyone likes it:

Macaroni

chopped celery

chopped onion

chop up boiled eggs

1 can of chicken of the sea tuna fish (optional)

dash of mustard

salt and pepper

mix with Miracle Whip

top with paprika

default_saludando.gif

Mine is not fancy but everyone likes it:
Macaroni

chopped celery

chopped onion

chop up boiled eggs

1 can of chicken of the sea tuna fish (optional)

dash of mustard

salt and pepper

mix with Miracle Whip

top with paprika

default_saludando.gif

This is almost my Grammie's recipe, too! Just add an APPLE and you have it! The tuna and the apple and a ton of flavor!

Lucy

I just made one this past weekend.

1 box of mini bow tie macaroni (looks pretty)

1 can of peas (yes peas)

2 carrots sliced really thin

1 small onion use about 1/2 or so finely chopped

huge handfuls of golden raisins

huge handful of chopped walnuts

2 stalks of chopped celery

add a dollup of ceaser salad dressing &

a dollup of catalina salad dressing

some lowreys seasoning salt (I don't do much salt)

and mayonnaise to your preferred consistency

YUM

Wow, these recipes look great. Isn't it funny how many ways you can make one thing.

I also make very simple Macaroni Salad.

Boil Elbow macaroni until just tender

Depending on how much I want to make is what determines how much of everything I use.

Chopped onions,

Chopped hard boiled eggs (you can actually buy hard cooked eggs in the grocery store now)

Chopped sweet pickles, or if I'm really lazy, pickle cubes in a jar.

Mayo (I only use Kraft)

Salt and Pepper to taste.

I also like mine warm when its first put together.

Good luck at your Family Reunion.

I just made it this weekend too! It's easy and you can make any size batch you need. Here's my version:

Cook whatever salad pasta you want. Rinse with cold water when cooked.

Hard cook at least 4 eggs (I cook mine with the pasta!). Cool by running in cold water, then peel and chop.

Chop: onion, celery, lots of pickles (I use home made bread and butter pickles. Some like sweet, some like dills, just use whatever you prefer).

Mix pasta, chopped veggies and eggs. Top with quite a bit of miracle whip (funny, I can't STAND mayo) and I add probably 1/4 cup of the pickle juice too. Mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.

Yum!!

Like Marty, I often add tuna to make a meal out of it and put it into a tomato that I've made an open flower out of (don't know how to describe that!)

Jayne

My "secret" ingredient in my macaroni salad is Hellman's Sandwich Spread.....nothing else will do!!

Add that in with Hellman's Light Real Mayonaise, yellow mustard and then add your macaroni and what may have you.....very tasty!!!

Another flavor.

Macaroni, of course.........

Cooked shrimp, cut into large pieces

Grape tomatoes cut in half

Green peppers chopped

Onion chopped

Chopped black olives

Feta Cheese

Either prepared Italian dressing or oil/vinegar

Also make tuna one similar to Marty but add green peas

Basically, mac salad uses up some left over/smaller amounts of various veggies. shredded cheeses, most any dressing you want to throw in their and go! I love them, most any variety.

I have just returned from Wal-Mart and I bought 6 lbs. of macaroni.
default_wacko.png
I never knew that there were so many different ways to make macaroni salad. My thanks to all who posted their recipes. You gals are the best.
default_yes.gif

Well I know you are already making your salad by now Debbie but I thought I would throw my version in here too. Ha! you know where I got that don't ya? Ha.

I'm a sour cream fan.

Do any noodle you want but one of my favs is the triple colored twist noodles.

Cool the noodles in the frig. I leave my noodles firm cause you know how they absorb the liquids from the dressing.

2 finely slice carrots, one cluster of small chopped pieces uncooked broccoli, 1 half medi/Lg fine chopped sweet onion(vadalia), 3 stalks medium sliced celery, a couple chopped hard boiled eggs, and really any vegie you like made into bite size easy to chew pieces.

I mix real mayonaise and sour cream in equal parts about a cup each. You might want to add more of each once you mix it in to the noodles if it isn't wet enough. I like my mac salad real moist.

Mix a few small squirts of yellow mustard, I don't use a lot.

Mix into the mayo, sour cream and mustard about 3/4 cup chopped pickle or chuncky relish.

Mixe the mayo/SC stuff into the vegies and throughly mix.

Loosen the cooled noodles so they aren't clumped together. Dump the mayo/vegies mixture on top the noodles, add salt and course ground pepper on top and then gently turn it over from the bottom of the bowl to mix it. Test and add more salt/pepper if needed to taste. You can also add other spices like celery seed, chives if you like.

Chill a couple hours. Its better the second day!

All these recopies sound yummy. Will print this off to add to my LB recipe collection. We may have to do an LB Recipe book. Ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I know you are already making your salad by now Debbie but I thought I would throw my version in here too. Ha! you know where I got that don't ya? Ha.
I'm a sour cream fan.

Do any noodle you want but one of my favs is the triple colored twist noodles.

Cool the noodles in the frig. I leave my noodles firm cause you know how they absorb the liquids from the dressing.

2 finely slice carrots, one cluster of small chopped pieces uncooked broccoli, 1 half medi/Lg fine chopped sweet onion(vadalia), 3 stalks medium sliced celery, a couple chopped hard boiled eggs, and really any vegie you like made into bite size easy to chew pieces.

I mix real mayonaise and sour cream in equal parts about a cup each. You might want to add more of each once you mix it in to the noodles if it isn't wet enough. I like my mac salad real moist.

Mix a few small squirts of yellow mustard, I don't use a lot.

Mix into the mayo, sour cream and mustard about 3/4 cup chopped pickle or chuncky relish.

Mixe the mayo/SC stuff into the vegies and throughly mix.

Loosen the cooled noodles so they aren't clumped together. Dump the mayo/vegies mixture on top the noodles, add salt and course ground pepper on top and then gently turn it over from the bottom of the bowl to mix it. Test and add more salt/pepper if needed to taste. You can also add other spices like celery seed, chives if you like.

Chill a couple hours. Its better the second day!

All these recopies sound yummy. Will print this off to add to my LB recipe collection. We may have to do an LB Recipe book. Ha.

Hmmmmmm, could you get that via North Dakota, ha!

Thanks for the recipe Mary! I think I shall give them all a try and declare a LB winner!!

I have just returned from Wal-Mart and I bought 6 lbs. of macaroni.
default_wacko.png
I never knew that there were so many different ways to make macaroni salad. My thanks to all who posted their recipes. You gals are the best.
default_yes.gif
The walmart stuff is really good
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back