M.T.G and tail bags...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Richelle

Reaction score
okay so I've started using M.T.G on my guys today and I followed the directions on the bottle. Even on the back it says for better results braid and put up. So I put their tails in a tail bag. Though two friends said wrapping with M.T.G can be dangerous as it has burnt hair and made it fall out.

So what should i do? what have you guys done if you've used it?

I like the product but it did not like all of my horses. I did have a couple react from it.

Make sure you start wil very CLEAN hair. More reaction is caused with any dirt left behind. Also I'd check it at least 2x a week to make sure there are no problems. Anything left on hair and then in the "dark" has the potential to cause problems (fungal, hair loss, skin reaction).

That said, my trainer (well his wife), washes the tails of all their show horses before winter sets in and wraps their tails (below the bone) with vet wrap and seals it with tape. Tail must be throughly dry before wrapping. They have never had any trouble and the tails grow and don't get ripped, eaten, or broken over winter.

I don't use either, and I have three stallions that their tails all drag the ground. Ones tail drags around a foot. One the one we still hsow it has to be trimmed before showing. All I do is wash and brush out using cremem rinse once a week, soak down with show sheen and brush through. I do the same with manes and one has a mane that goes down to his knees. They are also thick and shining.

Personally I hate MTG but plenty of people around here use it and I've heard (second hand knowledge so take with a grain of salt) that braiding it and getting the ends up off the ground is good BUT not to wrap or bag the tail.

My mom used it on her mare after another horse chewed the tail off and she didn't braid or wrap her tail. Still seemed to work. Greasy stinky mess though IMO.

MTG is a good product - I don't soak the hair with it. I use it on the tail bone. But I make sure the tail is clean and then rub some into the skin. Braiding it is optional, you are mostly saving the tail ends. Most horses rub their tails out at the tail bone and that is where the loss comes from, IMHO>\.

I use Quic Condition 2, spray it on about twice a week. I don't wrap, and have long thick tails, that are soft and not brittle and don't break easily. I was wrapping, but honestly, had more breakage that way, so now I just use the Quic Condition and leave it down.

I need help getting my mares tail to grow back
default_sad.png
. The previous owners for some unknown reason tried docking her tail with a rubber band. She was so infected when I found out that she was close to dying. I only had her a couple of days by that time. Well the vet shaved partial of her tail and then the bottom fell off. Now we only have a tail that is about 9" long. My poor poor baby has nothing to swat flies with.

I am so sorry to hear that they did that to that poor mare. You can braid in cotton strips of cloth into what is left of her tail and you have an automatic fly swatter.

One trick is to not brush or comb the tail dry unless it is completely tangle free. Always brush or comb it when wet, as the hair has more elasticity and can stretch better when wet, therefore less breakage.

I am so sorry to hear that they did that to that poor mare. You can braid in cotton strips of cloth into what is left of her tail and you have an automatic fly swatter.
That's actually a great idea! Poor little thing has mild fly bite allergies. Even when spraying her with fly spray she gets terrible welts.

Brilliant idea, but perhaps some baling twine mixed with the cotton strips (or instead of), so there is a little oomph to the swatting, cotton strips might not have enough stiffness and body to go after flies.

The Arabian Ranch I worked for during college, kept tails braided to keep clean and help wiht growth for the show horses, and they added a baling twine "tail" below the wrapped up braid (not the dock, just the hair braided and wrapped) to give them a fly switch.

Latest posts

Back