Lymphoma in 30 year old arab

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
My husband has an elderly gelding, 30 years old that hasw had a lump on his chest for over a month. It looks like a bee sting and that is what I thought it was. Then Sunday night when he came into the barn for dinner I noticed that his sheath looked swollen, hubby said it probably needed cleaning as he hadn't done that task in awhile. Well then yesterday morning when he came in for breakfast he was swollen all along his belly on both sides and the sheath was worse. Called the vet, cryed all night as did hubby prepared for the worst. Vet was here first thing this morning and concured with what I thought Lymphoma and now he has fluid build up between his front legs and the gland under his jaw is enlarged. She said his heart murmor that he has had for years is not any worse, and all other sounds good, no fluid in lungs, no temp. still eating and all body functions are a go. SWhe drew blood for a cbc and I'm to give him medicine once a day to help remove the fluid, a diuretic. I've been keeping the big guys in the barn during the days because of the flies and putting them out at night weather allowing. I'm to keep him comfortable.

Do any of you have experience with the cancer? I'm certain that at his age it won't be long before we send him over, but I don't want him to suffer at all.

Terri I have a 24 yr old gray Egyptian King son with a melanoma near his rectum.Vet says that is not what will kill him.With cancer of any kind there are often some you can't see or feel.I just keep an eye on it.It has grown some, but he is still pooping ok. Not much help here. It is difficult to see them aging and have health issues. I can really relate to that. Here at our farm we have old horses,old dogs and old people.Hope your old guy stays comfortable.

Thank you Bev, the obvious yesterday hit me like a brick, I know that old horse need to pass, and although it hurts I am strong. The hard part yesterday was in telling hubby about his beloved guy. So many tears were shed. We are waiting on blood work results, but you know I realize he is old and it is not looking good. Ironic, I just sold a mare and the money she brought in was just the amount the vet charged. Seems I can't win in the finance dept.

I have never experienced it in horses but our dog (an young Boxer) had it, and he did not live long at all after the diagnosis. He went off his food, and we gave steroids to help him get his appetite back, and then he went off again. We kept bumping up the steroids, and finally one morning he just let me know it was time, and we had him put to sleep that day. I wish you and your husband the best for your your gelding.

I am so sorry you have to go through this with the old guy.1 of my horsey friends told me many years ago that our animals tell us when they are ready to go.I have witnessed this several times with my older animals and will have to go through it several times again soon.my Corgi is 14 and her daughter is 12.1 mare is 25 (good health)her 24 yr old sister with IR and hoof issues, 23 yr old gelding with malanoma,22 yr old sister with IR and me with joint issues(that won't kill me-just makes me grumpy) and Karl with high blood pressure, diabetes, and sight and hearing issues.It is very difficult to say goodbye to our beloved pets.They give so much and ask so little.Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

The bloodwork confirmed the diagnosis. Why did my vet even suggest sending him to Leesburg is beyond me. I can't afford to throw money away. It's not like he's five he's thirty. Anyway after I speak to hubby tonight and get with the backhoe guy we will decide on when. Sad, but must be done before the pain begins for him.

I agree, we usually know when our animals are ready to go. They don't imagine, or dread, or wonder "what if" like we do. My australian shepherd took to laying apart from us in another room. When I asked her to come and be with us, she did, but her instinct was to go off by herself.

In the wild, we wouldn't want the end that would be inevitable for them.

Animals can be a heartbreak.

I am so sorry. This last act of love is the hardest part of owning our beloved animals. Hugs and prayers are with you both.

Thank you all for the kind words. We went and picked up a backhoe yesterday and put it behind the barn for when needed. The vet is scheduled to come out this Fri. at 4, in the meantime if he acts like he is in pain or colics we are to call right away. Hoping he can hold out till Fri. Hubby is holding it together much better then I thought.

Latest posts

Back