Lymes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strikersmom

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone here dealt with or known someone who had a horse with Lymes? My little guy may have it, we won't know until Tuesday because of the holiday. I've done searches and it seems similar to what I'm dealing with. I noticed a couple weeks ago he was "off" but then its been so darn hot that no one is moving much.

I'd appreciate any ideas or words of encouragement.

They will be testing for WNV also but they say that comes on quick.

Thanks.

A worried sick Chris

I have never dealt with it, so have nothing to offer, but just want to offer best wishes and wish you luck with him/the results.

I'm sorry but I have no experience either. Hope he'll be fine and your avatar is lovely!

PS I see this is your first post and I'd like to welcome you to the best place in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

My friend currently has Lymes disease. I know that its not quite what you are asking for, but I will see what information I can get for ya from her. She has talked about horses with Lymes disease and some symptoms.

Amanda

Unfortunately, I have LOTS of experience with Lyme Disease!!

2 of my kids and 3 of my dogs have had Lyme's.

What are the symptoms you are seeing?

Is your horse limping, acting run down feverish, arthritic?? My kids and my dogs all had pronounced limping and this was the most obvious sign??

I had a mini I thought had it, she became VERY lethargic and then would not move, she was too stiff & sore to move on her left leg. I was sure it was Lyme's but it turned out to be an infected tick bite in her armpit, but not a lyme carrying tick. My vet said Lyme disease in horses is VERY unusual even in our area where it is very prevalent.

The good news is it is VERY easily treated and only takes a month for them to completely recover. One month of antibiotics does the trick.

Welcome to the Forum. Don't have any horses with it, but one of my dogs, a Shih Tzu has it. She is just finishing a one month regime of antibiotics and is doing great. It is very easily cured, at least the symptoms are. They also had put her on 5 days of a mild pain killer to make her feel better while the antibiotics were starting to work. So, if your horse has it, it's a whole lot better than some of the other things he could get.

Ginny StP

Latest posts

Back