Lyme Disease and broodmares...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
One of our broodmares was diagnosed with Lyme Disease this spring, was treated, and seemed to be fine. She was open at the time because she had an infection in 2009, but that has since been cured. She didn't settle this year either, even though we knew from US she was producing follicles and the stallion was not the issue. We just had her re-checked for Lyme and found out she still has it, so is back on Doxycycline.

Has anyone had any experience with Lyme Disease in a mare (or any other species for that matter!), and were you able to get her bred? I am beginning to think there might be a connection, but my vet has no idea. Lyme Disease is pretty common around here - this is the second of our 9 horses to get it - but not that many people are trying to breed. I am just hoping that we can get her cured this time and get her safely in foal in 2010!!! Any ideas would be appreciated!

I purchased a mare that had lyme disease in 2007 and aborted because of it that year and then was unsucessfully bred back or 2008...I bought her and tried again for 2009 and was unsuccessful, so I sold her. I think maybe with a vets help and regumate you might have a chance for 2010! Good luck!!!!!!

(p.s. the woman that bought her says she thinks she is bred for 2010, but not confirmed)

Thanks Shelly - that was very helpful and what I was afraid of. I will check her again after this course of treatment and keep treating her until she tests OK. I will try to breed her in the spring, and can use Regumate if I need to. I would love to know if your sold mare is bred and carries to term! I wish her new owner well.

If we can't get her bred, we will likely show her, as long as she is sound.

do some online research on "fetal lyme disease" online. Much will come up as humans but yes it is common for lyme disease to cause early abortion in humans as well as transplacental infection and problems with conception. Just because they claim she's "cured" i'd be very skeptical. don't know if you know this about me but i've been being treated for almost 10 years now for lyme. I'd be happy to answer more questions if i can help you if you'd like to contact me privately. Lyme is NOT a pretty disease and causes many issues.

Thanks Boinky, and yes I did do a search online for this. I found that fertility/miscarriage, etc are issues for women with LD, as I suspected. And that the Lyme Disease can be transferred to the baby. Living in CT, I do know several people who have or have had Lyme Disease, but as far as I know, none of them were trying to get pregnant. I also know that Lyme can affect other organs including the heart, and it is very scary. I am sorry that you are having to deal with this. I think maybe I should get myself checked again.... You don't always know when you get bit by a tick, and clearly the ticks are here.

I do not want to give up on this mare!!! She is the sweetest thing and had 2 lovely foals before we got her. I just trained her to drive and she also jumps, does halter obstacle, and is our "lead line pony", so if we can't get her bred, she will have plenty to do! I think she could still do halter at the ripe old age of 10 too!

I read a few studies on pregnancy with LD recently that claimed if you were proactive with antibiotics while pregnant throughout the whole pregnancy the risks seem to lower... might be worth finidng out which ones are safe for the fetus and treat throughout pregnancy.

Latest posts

Back