LWO positive stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
Ok, I am taking the plunge and buying a LWO positive stallion. Now this winter I will be testing a few of my mares to make sure they are not carriers, before spring when I would be breeding them.

What are the + and -'s of owning one in your opinion.

I realize I will have the expense of testing mares also, but I am so in love with the color patterns I have been seeing, I do realize it is just icing on the cake also, but I love a nice looking cake!
default_yes.gif
:

So do I need to test only my tovero mares, or all of them with blue eyes? I do have other stallions, so he will not be my only one, but I want to know that the mares are not carriers, I don't want to chance a LWO foal, my heart could not take that.

Right now I have 3 that I know I need to test for sure.

With LWO, I think it is better safe than sorry.

So, if you "think" the mare may carry it,,,,,,,,,,,,the cost of the test is way less than the emotional cost in the long run.
default_yes.gif
:

I totally agree with Carolyn. If you even have a hint, then test. When do we get to see a picture of him?????? :bgrin

Liz V.

I'll post a picture as soon as I fully own him, I just put a deposit on him today!!!!! I am sooooo excited! :lol:

I have a LWO stallion that is solid except for a tiny snip on his nose. We would have never even thought about testing him. He has also has brown eyes. His dam produced a LWO foal when bred to an overo so his breeder suggested we have him tested.

With him, if I don't know the mares background, solid or not, I have them tested. You just never know. The test isn't that expensive anyway.

Another question I have is.........Can a LWO + stallion produce solid colored foals too?

Another question I have is.........Can a LWO + stallion produce solid colored foals too?
I have seen solid babies come out of VERY loud LWO+ dam or sire bred to VERY loud + or - LWO (big horses). It's all a crap shoot in breeding for those overos.
default_smile.png
I have seen the same two crossings throw totally opposite in color patterns also.

Liz V.

Absolutely, just as any other Pinto can produce solid colored foals if they are heterozygous. A LWO + horse must be heterozygous in order to survive. Therefore, it has a 50/50 chance of passing or not passing the gene.

Thank you..... Now, I do have a cremello mare, possibly perlino, would I have to have her tested for LWO since she is not a pinto....and is a double dilute?

Wasn't sure on the dilutes.

well just because she's a dilute doesn't mean she carries LWO. but any horse can carry it, so have her tested. and some really light horses (i.e. double dilutes, grays...) it may be hard to see hidden pinto markings. but even if she appears solid, still get her tested.

congrats on the new stallion! i love overos!

I agree with the others, definately do the testing, its reasonable and then you won't worry. We have had mares with very minimal markings test hetrozygous and others that were more obviously marked test negative. You really don't know until you test
default_yes.gif
:

Congrats on your new stallion!!
default_smile.png

Well, the ONLY minus with a LWO is that you SHOULD NOT breed him to another LWO mare. Not can't, but shouldn't. We have several mares that need tested before we'll breed them to our guy. One is a solid sorrel with one blue eye, the other is a silver dapple pinto with a blue eye. The fillies by him all have one blue eye, too.... (he has two blues)

Other than that, I can't think of any other bad things!! :bgrin

Lucy

I'm assuming you are talking about Lethal White... right?

TONS of horses are carriers, even non pintos. Also, the even if you breed two carriers together there is only a 25% chance they will have the syndrome and die. Also remember that they may die as an early embryo, meaning the chances of getting a true foal with lethal white is pretty low, around 12%. I personally think its the responcible thing to do to test the two to minimize any chance like you say. I wanna see the boy too, I LOVE overos
default_smile.png

It might be
default_smile.png
I pulled that number out of my memory. 25% is the theoretical amount, but most of those are lost before the owner even knows the mare is truely pregnant.
default_smile.png

I also disagree with Nathan that it is only 12% full term birth losses. I believe there would be no more early losses than any other combination, and that the 25% live births is what goes into the equation of 25% loss due to LWO foals.

AND, as Frankie said, even if it was only a 12% loss, that is far too many. Why take the chance on losing a whole year for a dead foal when it can be avoided by breeding differently.

I agree! A "responsible" breeder would never knowingly breed two LWO carriers together! :no:

And just to show you that YES, LWO carriers can definitely produce solids...I am going to post photos here of all three of the offspring that my LWO Stallion "LTDs Moonstruck" and my mare "Tiger" had here for me.

As others have said....you can always get a solid...even when breeding a LWO to another pinto! (unless one of them also carries homozygous Tobiano!)
default_wink.png
:

These are the parents...

f0664cbe.jpg.thumb.jpg
f097a27f.jpg.thumb.jpg

1. Kickapoo's Laced By Moonlite

f5a4f8f1.jpg

2. Kickapoo's Mohogany Moon

ed729dc6.jpg

3. Kickapoo's Apache Moon

ee7ce4dc.jpg

Dona those are perfect examples! I love your horses and have enjoyed watching your foals grow!!!
default_wub.png
:

So can a regular PINTO also carry this gene??

I thought it was safe to breed a pinto to an overo. Am I incorrect on this??

I was planning ot breed my overo mare to our black & white pinto -- Can someone tell me more on this please??

I have ehr bred to our blue roan this year-- hoping for a blue roan pinto .

By "regular pinto" do you mean tobiano? If it looks like a tobiano, it could still be a tovero and carry the LWO gene. We have a LWO+ mare and we test any (tobiano-appearing) pinto stallion we might breed her to. We know someone with a tovero stallion (who looks like a"regular" pinto) who bred him to a Rowdy-bred solid color mare and had a lethal white foal. For $25, why take a chance?

Latest posts

Back