Lunging

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleDstables

Reaction score
Ok, so I taught my mini mare Angel in about two days how to lunge on the line w/t/c whoa, and free lunge w/t/c whoa, and turns.

But, my coming two year old Diva, won't lunge. no matter how I try to approach the situation... It's quite frustrating. I taught her half sister so easily, I swear this attitude is from her mother's side of the family! She is quite a bit more fearful than Angel, so she freezes up when I ask her to walk, and absolutely won't move, and if she does, it's a few rigid steps, but I still reward her for it. I stay behind her the whole time, so I'm not bocking her path at all...

I'm just wondering if there is anything to get this girl to lunge, because I'm tired of walking/trotting her in hand for exercise!
default_wacko.png

You could try free lunging if you have the space, or a roundpen. I hardy ever work my horses on a lunge line anymore, they all know how to lunge on a line, but that is not my personal faverite way to work them.

I know, ignoring the problem will not help, but i would try free lunging.

I just do not like having to fight with a 24ft lunge line and have my hands full with a line in one and whip in the other. Start it out simple free lunging, teach her that a "kiss" means move and that will help on the line imo. Its easier if you can move around and have your hands free i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, yes I agree with Leeana and maybe start with free lunging, she may be more encouraged to be more forward moving without the lunge line on. I would also suggest doing worry about the walk for now, just focus on really getting her moving forward in a good trot or even canter, till she gets the idea. Also if you feel safe doing so, you could try free lunging her with her sister. I do this with my geldings as I have one thats very forward moving and the other is a little, well, not so forward. When I free lunge them together it encourages them both to be forward and they also seem to enjoy it more. This way she'll learn by copying her sister as well. But of course only do this if they get along well and if you feel it will be safe, there is often a little jostling and nipping at first till they settle and get used to it.

Anna
default_smile.png

I've tried the free lunging as well, and she still freezes up, and trys to stick by my side like she's a weanling!

I think I'll try the free lunging with her sister, that would probably be my best bet.

Back