Lunging my 4 year old Paint Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelsey - Vandy's Farm

Reaction score
This is a video we took of my APHA mare Ryley. She has had an issue with charging and bucking while she is lunging. I think she is just playing but either way it is a very dangerous habit!
new_shocked.gif
We are working to get rid of it asap! haha enjoy the video.
yes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDAxFAdKdy4&hd=1

UPDATE:

Here's a vid we took a couple days after the first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y0jw70o0UQ&feature=feedu

Here is a new video of Ryley. We took this a couple days after the first.

It has some clips of her being bad... Some of her being good and some of her jumping
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
She is gorgeous, love the color.

Hope you don't mind a bit of advice, just something you could try- She's lunging towards you in the beginning of the video, and for me, that's a biiiig no-no. Try asking her to walk out to the circle rather than trotting, so that she won't buck, remains calmer, and won't be inclined to think it's time for a game to see if you'll back off. If she comes toward you, use your body language, stomp towards her, make yourself look big, shout a firm "NO!" Don't let her point her butt towards you. Don't back away, because that's what she wants, and you're the boss.

Once she gets going she looks great, it's just that initial asking her to move out. Great job and such a lovely mare.
default_wub.png

Rebecca

Hi

I agree with Rebecca. Do some natural horsemanship with her. You can get her to respect you. Dont back off if she comes at you, make yourself the BOSS mare!

She is a beautiful horse, my fav color.

What a beautiful horse!

I am not an expert by any stretch, but are you left handed? Can you hold the lunge whip in your right hand and the line in your left? keep the whip in your right hand lift it at least level with your elbow, not pointed down and do point it towards you mare, and she may stay AWAY, not come AT you. Good luck with her she is lovely!

Robin

Hey!

Yes, I'm definitely open to friendly advice!
default_smile.png
Thanks a bunch
yes.gif
I will give that a try next time I exercise her.

I am right handed.
biggrin.gif

She is gorgeous, love the color.

Hope you don't mind a bit of advice, just something you could try- She's lunging towards you in the beginning of the video, and for me, that's a biiiig no-no. Try asking her to walk out to the circle rather than trotting, so that she won't buck, remains calmer, and won't be inclined to think it's time for a game to see if you'll back off. If she comes toward you, use your body language, stomp towards her, make yourself look big, shout a firm "NO!" Don't let her point her butt towards you. Don't back away, because that's what she wants, and you're the boss.

Once she gets going she looks great, it's just that initial asking her to move out. Great job and such a lovely mare.
default_wub.png

Rebecca
Thank you for the advice
biggrin.gif
I will definitely give that a try. You are right. It is just when she starts lunging or reverses that there is a problem. Once she gets some of her energy out she usually settles down. But, I've never had a horse do this.
rolleyes.gif

I agree, very pretty mare indeed.

Just curious how is she on the lead? Is she pushy or bossy at all? Before you lunge her, walk her around and command her while on the lead line. do circles and stop , go, back up. Try having her give to pressure also. That way by the time you get the lunge line on her she is already tuned into listening to you. Her posture at the start is refusal and intimidation. Her ears are pinned, nostrils flared and it doesnt seem like 'play' to me. ( my video was choppy so forgive if I am mistaken)

I had a paint mare who was very much like yours. We did lots of close lead contact and exercises and it made a huge difference.

She is young and just trying to establish herself. How is she at feed time?

I agree, very pretty mare indeed.

Just curious how is she on the lead? Is she pushy or bossy at all? Before you lunge her, walk her around and command her while on the lead line. do circles and stop , go, back up. Try having her give to pressure also. That way by the time you get the lunge line on her she is already tuned into listening to you. Her posture at the start is refusal and intimidation. Her ears are pinned, nostrils flared and it doesnt seem like 'play' to me. ( my video was choppy so forgive if I am mistaken)

I had a paint mare who was very much like yours. We did lots of close lead contact and exercises and it made a huge difference.

She is young and just trying to establish herself. How is she at feed time?

Thanks! I love her.

She is very good on lead. This is really the only major problem I have with her. She leads great, trailers, cross ties, saddles....etc. She also gives into pressure very well. But, I have not worked her just on the lead right before lunging so I will give that a try. Thanks!
default_smile.png

No, you may be right she may not be playing...either way it's not a good habit and needs to stop! You can tell when she is going to do it because her whole body language changes and she gets this look in her eye.

She is good at feed time. She loves her food but she is not pushy and doesn't kick at the other horses.

Honestly that sounds just like my mare. She was also that age. Have you started her under saddle yet?

I will have to look through old videos and see if I can find the ones where she is doing what yours is... she didnt charge us though, just bucked and crow hopped like a wild mare.
default_wacko.png

Honestly that sounds just like my mare. She was also that age. Have you started her under saddle yet?

I will have to look through old videos and see if I can find the ones where she is doing what yours is... she didnt charge us though, just bucked and crow hopped like a wild mare.
default_wacko.png
Yes, she was broke by the previous owner as a three year old.

Thanks
default_smile.png
But, your mare got better??

She did, and it didnt take long. My mare was also broke as a 3 yr old but she was still green when we got her. She had a bucking issue, when she would refuse under saddle or when she spooked. It seems it was just what she had learned to do, so we spent a lot of time working with her and she turned out good. She was very responsive to the bit and did great under saddle. Although occasionally she would give a buck to see where she stood. She was a bit high strung so I eventually sold her and last I knew she was going to be trained on barrels, she was a really fast mare.

I dont have the videos of her on this computer but here is a picture.

Jan08.jpg

She did, and it didnt take long. My mare was also broke as a 3 yr old but she was still green when we got her. She had a bucking issue, when she would refuse under saddle or when she spooked. It seems it was just what she had learned to do, so we spent a lot of time working with her and she turned out good. She was very responsive to the bit and did great under saddle. Although occasionally she would give a buck to see where she stood. She was a bit high strung so I eventually sold her and last I knew she was going to be trained on barrels, she was a really fast mare.

I dont have the videos of her on this computer but here is a picture.

Jan08.jpg
Awesome
default_smile.png

Thanks for the info! Your mare is super cute.

Try a smaller round pen to work her in until you fix the problem. It looks like to me she is trying to be in control and how your lunging she looks like she is but that is JMO. Bad habits are very easy to pick up and so hard to break. My mare when i bought her all they did was take her to a show and run her so everytime i put my foot in the sturps she tried to take off. It took LOTs of ground work and work in a smaller pen just to be able to trail ride her. I want her to run at the time asked for her to not everytime so it was a horrble habit to break and took lots of time. Matter of fact we still work on that daily. She also was very disrespectful cuz her last owner let her do that to them and now she never turns her butt to me in stall or anything like that she treats me with respect. Like i said it took awhile and lots of work but now she is the sweetest girl and very respectful. Also remember your mare is 4 so she is young and habits are picked up fast so always keep that in mind but stop it asap. I agree lots of horsemanship,ground work and smaller pen would be a great place to start and in no time she will be right where you want her to be.

Try a smaller round pen to work her in until you fix the problem. It looks like to me she is trying to be in control and how your lunging she looks like she is but that is JMO. Bad habits are very easy to pick up and so hard to break. My mare when i bought her all they did was take her to a show and run her so everytime i put my foot in the sturps she tried to take off. It took LOTs of ground work and work in a smaller pen just to be able to trail ride her. I want her to run at the time asked for her to not everytime so it was a horrble habit to break and took lots of time. Matter of fact we still work on that daily. She also was very disrespectful cuz her last owner let her do that to them and now she never turns her butt to me in stall or anything like that she treats me with respect. Like i said it took awhile and lots of work but now she is the sweetest girl and very respectful. Also remember your mare is 4 so she is young and habits are picked up fast so always keep that in mind but stop it asap. I agree lots of horsemanship,ground work and smaller pen would be a great place to start and in no time she will be right where you want her to be.
Unfortunately, I do not have a small pen or round pen, just a big arena. She actually did a lot better yesterday. I did some ground work with her before. She still needs a lot of work but she is showing some improvement. She is respectful of everything else.....it's just this one issue. She has good ground manners and is good under saddle. Thanks a bunch for the info and suggestions
default_smile.png

She is a beautiful mare.

Just a few thoughts. Have you ever thought about using a lunge cavesson on her? It would offer you some more control. Don't get a flimsy nylon one though. Something sort of like this:

http://www.beval.com/Products/Leather-Lunge-Caveson/2002009.aspx Just an idea.

I would definitely get after her for that charging and bucking behavior. She isn't playing, and even if she were, she's too big to have that be funny.

I would have her do transitions while on the lunge, not just canter around. She gets to the point where she is tuning you out and just going round and round. I would do a lot of work at walk,trot, and whoa with changes of directions. Let her canter when it is your idea, not hers. Keep her mind busy.

She is a lovely mare and it is obvious that you love her
default_smile.png

Angie

Very nice looking mare! Great name also. My mini does the same thing sometimes. One time he is great, next day he acts like your mare. It could be she is also just a little bit lazy and trying to push to get her way, when that doesn't happen, she listens. Good luck.

She is a beautiful mare.

Just a few thoughts. Have you ever thought about using a lunge cavesson on her? It would offer you some more control. Don't get a flimsy nylon one though. Something sort of like this:

http://www.beval.com...on/2002009.aspx Just an idea.

I would definitely get after her for that charging and bucking behavior. She isn't playing, and even if she were, she's too big to have that be funny.

I would have her do transitions while on the lunge, not just canter around. She gets to the point where she is tuning you out and just going round and round. I would do a lot of work at walk,trot, and whoa with changes of directions. Let her canter when it is your idea, not hers. Keep her mind busy.

She is a lovely mare and it is obvious that you love her
default_smile.png

Angie
Hi Angie,

Thank you for your advice. I work with her a lot on transitions yesterday and she was doing a lot better. That is a great idea and I will work on them a lot more. The cavesson might be a good idea but it is a little pricey! I'm a poor college student...hahahaha

THANKS!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back