Lungeing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
I was wondering what the best routine for lungeing is?

How many times per week?

How long should each session be?

(for gettig them into show shape)

Thanks for any advice

I use my round pen for lunging, vs. a lunge line.

When I'm getting them fitted out to show, my 2yo and older show horses work up to go for 20-25 minutes every other day at a trot, divided so they go about the same amount of time in each direction.

Yearlings I work up to lunging about 15 minutes every other day.

I would try to put some obstacles in while you lounge. If you think about it, there just running in circles over and over again, they get bored. Yes they will be physically fit but mentally fit, no.

I do the same as Jill, but I excercise mine 6 days a week. I usually give them Sundays off. After they have cooled down, I do a backing exercise for a few minutes, builds up the rear end.

I think it depends on the horse a little bit. My gelding stays in pretty good shape just trotting a few times a week. Of course, he runs himself silly playing in his paddock every morning, but he keeps himself trim. My stallion on the other hand is stalled and doesn't have a paddock to run in so I have to lunge him every day. We usually are running for at least 30 minutes but because it's the only time he's out of his stall I usually do groundwork for another 20-30 minutes. I lunge him over little jumps, through cones, over a dirt mountain in the arena, try to keep it interesting. Our groundwork includes my makeshift version of an obstacle course.

And they are both looking very nice right now I must say!

sorry, stupid dutch girl again
default_wink.png

Lunging a yearling? If ANYTHING is bad for the legs it's lunging (becouse the weight comes on the inside legs)

I rather walk or take them next to a bike to train them in LONG lines...

Anyway, depending of the ground you lunge on (sand is more heavey than grass for example) I'll lunge up to 20 minutes (10 left, 10 right).

Make a lot of gaith changes (walk, trot, whoo, trot, walk, lope, walk, trot, lope, whoo, trot, walk, lope, etc)

sorry, stupid dutch girl again
default_wink.png

Lunging a yearling? If ANYTHING is bad for the legs it's lunging (becouse the weight comes on the inside legs)

I rather walk or take them next to a bike to train them in LONG lines...
She clearly said she is round penning and not using a line. If her round pen is large enough there is no issue with this IMO

I go back and forth between round pen and putting a couple out in the arena and free lunging them in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
line or no line, working on an circle is just not good for the legs and joints of a young horse

Thanks very much for the replies
default_smile.png

I wont be lungeing my yearlings lol just my mares and geldings.

I also have a great obstacle course to break it up abit and so they dont get to bored.

Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back