Lumps all over

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Just had a call from mini owner who found his one mini covered with lumps all over. Approx size of quarter and raised about 1/4". Other mini in same pasture OK and 3 mini's in adjacent pasture OK. Did not see bumps this morning , so they just appeared today. I have never experienced anything like this , but Im sure somebody out there in Mini land has. Your views will be appreciated.

Sounds like hives. Call the vet out to take a look in person, and perhaps prescribe some dexamethasone for the horse's relief.

Andrea

I had the same problem. My stallion started breaking out this year and I'm not sure what caused it. Ended up giving him a series of three Dexamethosone shots, which cleared it up right away...Until a week later when he broke out again. Now he's on Dex powder. I'm giving it too him for three days, then giving him three days off, then starting it again. The hives clear up right away, so I hate to keep him on it continueously. Seems to be working this way. Hopefully when the weather changes this winter, he wont break out for awhile.

Here are a couple pictures of his neck the last time he broke out with hives.

100_0047.jpg

100_0044.jpg

Erin

ouch that sure looks painful!

This is bad. Check for things like wasps nests, ants, nettles or something in the hay, and your food and bedding. You could have a bad bag of something. Check the pastures too. Also shampoos, conditioners, fly and sheen sprays.

We had a horse break out in hives once. For the life of us we couldn't think why until my one son asked if it could have been caused from the apple he gave him the day before. Sure enough he was allergic to apples. So you might think of anything different that was fed to the horse. Vet put him on steroids and pain meds for a couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the thing Marty, I have checked into everything.

It started while he was at my friends boarding stable. He'd been there off and on for the last 6 years. Always used cedar shavings, cleaned on a regular basis. He started breaking out while he was on Nutrena Safechoice. I switched to Triple Crown Lite a few weeks later, thinking maybe it might have been the grain (even though he'd been on Safechoice a long time). He still broke out. Hadn't changed his hay until after he broke out the first time, he continued to break out. I've decided it must be something enviromental, like weeds, bugs, pollen, ect. Ya know all those things that you can't really control. Poor guy. He doesn't seem to be bothered when he breaks out or than hes a little more itchy.

Erin
default_sad.png

Erin, does he do that at your barn?

If not, maybe its cedar shavings vs pine.

Has anyone painted the barn or fence?

Could he be eating wood?

It's like he got attacked in a nest of something.

Also I had one break out from blade wash used on the clipper blades. Check that too.

Have you tried a medicated bath? Like iodine or betadine?

I'd hate to see one of those things explode on him.

He's gorgeous by the way.

Shavings with toxic trees shavings mixed in can do that (sumac, black walnut, I am sure there is others) We had a quarter horse years ago, before the home computers/internet and all the info that is available now, that broke out in hives just like that, it was the bedding.

Carolyn

Something he has laid in, check the bedding or loafing area.

Checked this morning and am advised that the geldings lumps are all gone and he is fine. He monitored him closely last night and at no time did he appear to be stressed or in pain. Was not able to hook up with a vet. In checking the pasture he found an ant hill with the grass pressed down in the immediate area showing that the horse had been laying down there. Google suggested "fire ants" which can be serious if enough bites, but they are not around here and perhaps our ants are less toxic which may account for him being totally content despite the swellings/bites. Thanks for all your replies.

Theia had all over hives earlier this season... though not as big as yours Erin!! Vet and I were both pretty sure the mosquitoes where causing it for her. He decided not to use any drugs on her...so I just used a fly repelent that also kept the mosquitoes off her...and no more problems.

I just have to make sure I keep her sprayed. Wish I could use a sheet on her..but she tears them all up.
default_rolleyes.gif

My mini gelding had these exact same things a few weeks ago, gave a call to my vet and she said that their just bug bites (which they were) all I can say is look for Endure flyspray or a roll on War Paint form Valley vet suplly you can order online at valleyvetsupply.com or whatever their site is. The endure works very well

also, if this horse is young then that may also be a cause of this becuase as many fo us know the skin is much thinner as apposed to an older horse best of luck
default_smile.png

Unforunately, yes he does break out at home as well. Hes outside 24/7, so nothing buy dirt or grass to lay on. The fly repellent doesn't help anymore. Haven't bathed him recently, so couldn't be anything I used there. I dont ever clip him, so nope, nothing there either. I haven't done anything different this year than I've done the past 6 years that I've had him. I think hes just slowly developed an allergy to SOMETHING. I have the Dex powder and give it to him for two days on a lil grain, then wait a couple days and give him some more. He clears up right away. He had a couple tiny bumps on him tonight, but of course this was the night I was suppose to start giving it too him again anyways.

Erin

Latest posts

Back