lumpectomy is done

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Gosh but yesterday was a busy day. We left here at the crack of dawn to meet with my oncologist. He is a real nice guy. Reminds me a lot of Mr. Rogers!!! He spent at least an hour and a half with us. He told us the history of radiology treatments starting from prehistoric times right up until today. (or at least that's what it seemed like). He explained in detail what he's going to do and then he showed me the "savi" device which will be implanted in my breast next week. OK, now I'd done my homework and I already knew what it looked like, HOWEVER, I had no idea how large it was. How he's gonna get that thing in my teeny, tiny boob is beyond me. But I guess he knows what he's doing.

The actual procedure yesterday was sorta like the biopsy. Except that second lump was way deep and it was painful when he removed it. Luckily, the removal part only takes 7 seconds. And he counts down for you: "done in 7....6.....5....4...3...2...1" I figured I could stand anything for 7 seconds. So it was no big deal.

I do,however, have what amounts to a small garden hose hanging out of my boob. I wasn't expecting that. It's probably as big around as a pencil, hangs out maybe 6 to 8 inches and is attached to a spacer inside my breast. They want to hold it open until the pathology results come in. And the dang thing may be flexible but on the end there is a really hard plastic end that pokes the heck out of me under my arm. I'm going to put a baby sock on it and tape it on when I change the dressing this afternoon. That should fix that little problem.

I'm uncomfortable, but not in pain. I will probably take some advil just because I want to be able to function today.

One of the worst parts is no showers for the next two weeks. WHAT??? I love my showers. I can take a bath, but only the bottom half of me. The top has to have a sponge bath. And no washing my hair in anything other than a sink. So, I've got long hair and small sinks....maybe it's time for a haircut? I'll think on that one.

Here's the great part. This type of cancer was confined (they think). If it reoccurs, it'll be quick, in the next 5 years. If I can go that long cancer free, then they consider me cured. Not in remission, but actually cured. So I have that to look forward to.

I'm home now until Sept 3, then I'll go to Nashville to stay until the 11th or 12th, depending on how much treatment they decide I need. I've already heard from the Hope House and I have a reservation there. And it's really close to the hospital (like a half a mile) so I won't be keeping my car there. I'm planning on walking over to the hospital twice a day for my treatments because parking is a nightmare.

All it all it could have been much worse. I feel very optimistic and am thankful we caught this so early. (And at this point I still have two boobs). Although one is substantially larger than the other as it is quite swollen. My poor little size B bra is really working!

Great to hear things are going along in your favor. Will keep you in thoughts and prayers.

Continued to prayers coming your way. Treat yourself to a few washes and styles at the salon, or go to a small salon where you feel comfortable enough to clue them in and just tell them you would like to have it washed and blown out. Hope the worst is over for you and you will be on your way to recovery!

Great news! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

So happy to hear all went well. CONGRATULATIONS!! Now hoping and praying you will remain cancer-free for the next 5 years!!
default_luck.gif

Happy to hear your Good News!! I agree with Carolyn treat yourself to a few hair salon visits! Even if you just go for a shampoo and blow dry you certainly deserve it! I will keep you in my prayers for continued healing and to be Cancer free!!

Definitely get a new hair do!!!! That is always a pick me up, new cut, alittle color,( you deserve it!!!) plus it will be so much easier to take care of. Keeping you in my prayers!

hugs to you. You are a trooper! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Very valuable information for everybody.

If you get a shower massage thing you can do your spot shower of your lower half and keep things dry around your surgery site. If I sit in a tub I get a UTI really quickly, so we use shower massage and it is very easy to keep specific parts dry if you keep it on the soft water setting for spray and if you buy the shower massage with the extra long hose you can spot clean spray body part wise where ever you want. My sprayer hangs all the way down to the tub.

Also, you can lean over the tub to wash your hair using the shower massage and it is better than using the sink and your hair doesn't hang in the drain and get gross. I have done this many times and it works well. Keep your long hair if you want to. Shower massage thing is not all that expensive and easy to install just test out the spray settings and drape a towel over your shoulders just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back