LPPaintedPonys - Cherry FOALED 31 AUG - PICS pg 12; Stuffy FOALED pg 6,Tory FOALED pics pg5, Koalah

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you Chanda - they are all fantastic (and a credit to you Paula!), but there is something about Echo that really appeals to me too.
default_yes.gif

Assuming Echo is a filly. Trade you Echo for a cute yearling silver colt? Don't think hubby would even go for a trade, but I can dream.

Sorry ladies. I was hoping for a filly, but Echo is the last colt by our first stallion... All of his last foals were colts - in 2008, 2011 & 2013.
default_sad.png
On a good note, Echo moves soooo much like his daddy! I purchased his sire hoping he'd cross well on larger pony and horse mares and was very lucky as that is exactly what he did! It was great and he made an awesome riding pony for our daughter as well. This young fella may be the same. He moves like a good, long strided riding horse - having that "Shetland pony" look, LOL.

Thank you for the looks and compliments!

Here's some pics of Cherry. This is our .... "I wanna have some.... baby". She went thru two fence lines to get to Iggy last fall. One wasn't hot, I can somewhat understand that. The other - not only did it have our high tensile wire with fence posts every 8', but it had 2 hot ropes that were definitely still hot when she went thru it. I was getting ready to go back to OH and had my daughter caring ponies for the two overnights hubby and I did. So after the 3rd day, I left her in with Stuffy and Iggy. Knew she'd be pregnant. Wasn't a terrible thing, just hadn't planned on breeding her yet. Wanted her actually going in harness first and maybe even shown a bit before planned on breeding her.

This will be a very nice foal - hope the "real pony" lives up to what the bloodlines on paper do!! Kinda getting excited now.

13aug8che768.jpg
13aug8che778.jpg

Need to do side views and try to get a shot of her udder...

Sorry ladies. I was hoping for a filly, but Echo is the last colt by our first stallion... All of his last foals were colts - in 2008, 2011 & 2013.
default_sad.png
On a good note, Echo moves soooo much like his daddy! I purchased his sire hoping he'd cross well on larger pony and horse mares and was very lucky as that is exactly what he did! It was great and he made an awesome riding pony for our daughter as well. This young fella may be the same. He moves like a good, long strided riding horse - having that "Shetland pony" look, LOL.

Thank you for the looks and compliments!
Well, then, I don't feel so bad, cause I don't need any more boys around here, right now.

Diane -

Quite possible. Everyone in our family has asked if he's staying. As a possible stallion prospect and if not, as a permanent gelding for the grand daughters. I'm really enjoying his 2 yr old 1/2 brother(not related to AJ) and think that that mare/stallion cross may have been a great one in Echo...

Maybe the hole AJ left will be filled somewhat by his last son. Those are HUGE pony prints to fill, though. He's got time, we purchased AJ as a pretty uppity 3 yr old (he came off the transporters' trailer on his hind legs and screaming "I HAVE ARRIVED" and to this day I remember wondering what I'd gotten myself into, LOL) - but AJ became an awesome pony in his own right, and rather quickly. He's been missed...

***Edit - after writing this I went to check AJs page, and then started going thru AJs Baby page... Hadn't worked on it in a while, need to attach pics to the little thumbnails. So I'm going to work on that now... Too hot to clean anything in the barn at the moment and when I go back out, I'll be hosing ponies off. With heat index, supposed to reach around 110* today.

AJ sired some pretty awesome crossbred ponies over the years for us.. IF Echo is retained as a stallion, I'd like to cross him on an arab mare that I have. Should get a really nice foal from that cross is Echo develops and passes his genetics on to his respective foal. That's a dream mating to think about! Wonder if we'd get another 1/2 arab pony large enough for me to ride? IF SO, that one wouldn't be sold! While I love how our "Blizzard" did, I've missed having a pony to ride... Blizzard is by AJ out of the Arab mare that is the dam of the mare I'm thinking of putting Echo to in the future! How's that for twisted, convoluted dreaming??? - Edit ***

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, in between checking on each of the mares we are all looking at, can you spare a few moments to look over AJs Baby page and let me know what you all think?

I have most of them done (the ones that we had foaled out here). I have to do a new on-line photo album with pictures of the rest after I find the pics again. I had AJs Babys at Webshots and my albums there were deleted (they had my old email addy and I didn't get the notice that they were shutting down). I have removed those links from the thumbnails that had those and everything should be good now.

The babies not having pics other than thumbnails right now are the 2 fillies from 1995; Spirit - 99 mare; Nitro - 2000 gelding, Birdie - 2000 mare; Twister - 2001 gelding; Silver Sun and Storm the Reef - 2003 colts; "Sandy" - 2004 mare and Grasshopper - 2005 gelding. I have to get some pics of a couple of them, if I can... I no longer have the pics either...
default_sad.png

Here's the link to AJ's Foals. I hope it's OK to ask this? Now I have to work on other farm animals and get some pics posted of them!

I also think that Echo would be worth running on to see how he matures - he certainly has that "I'm a boy" look about him!!

Took a peek at your AJ page - some very lovely babies there. He certainly was a brilliant stud for 'outcrossing'.
default_yes.gif

Let us know if you manage to update all the missing pictures please.

I finished all the photos except for 3 - don't have any of the colt called "Grasshopper" and my hardcopy photos of the two fillies (before I purchased AJ) are packed up. Thought I had them somewhere, but I didn't...

I see I haven't posted any pics of Cheri lately either!!

Here's a couple from earlier this month...

13aug15che1745.jpg

13aug15che1746.jpg

13aug15che1747.jpg

Most of the udder pics I've gotten, I've deleted as they simply look like black blobs! Didn't get any today - will make sure I update pics again tomorrow (I have more to load in a minute).

Here are the pics from Saturday (taken with my phone, camera was in the house). Got a pseudo one of her udder from the rear (hard to see, LOL).

13aug24che1918.jpg

13aug24che1917.jpg

13aug24che1916.jpg

13aug24che1915.jpg
She's still pretty tight here - not sure how much she will "lengthen" as a maiden.

13aug24che1914.jpg

I don't think she's quite ready. Every couple of evenings, she refuses to clean up all of her feed (that little bucket is just about full with the amount she gets) and tonight is one of those nights. Last night was the first night I got fluid out of her udder - completely clear - like water but very sticky. She's butt pressing some and has started rubbing her tail. Her "hoo haw" and her tail are still "tight", but inside her vulva IS starting to get a darker pink w/ red streaks. I've set up a foaling pen on grass for her and she's been in it. It's by the barn, but can be seen if I step out to the carport. Trying to decide if I'm going to leave her in there or if I'm going to start moving her down to the carport where there is still a 10x10 stall (dog kennel). I kind of want to move her down here to the house,
default_smile.png

I hate switching feeds this late in a pregnancy, but I'm switching all of my broodmares over (SLOWLY) to a broodmare/growth feed. Just hasn't been working with the feed they are all on (Nutrena Safe Choice) - even with the broodmare supplements. Part of that is the hay quality this year, but honestly, I haven't been happy the last couple of years...

As her belly has gotten larger, Cheri has lost weight on her topline which I'm not happy about - she was looking GREAT. My other broodmares have lost a tremendous amount of weight this summer, slowly changing them back to broodmare feed, too. They will put their weight back on as they get switched and will finish putting it on after I wean their babies. I've been getting them out on the grass, too, which seems to be helping a little.

Also thinking about adding a 3rd feeding to the broodmares. Will have to think about that - currently pastures aren't set up where that would be easily done... The last two years, I've weaned foals at 4 months of age and they haven't done well, so wanted to wait a bit longer before weaning them. When I put the mares on grass - they go by themselves and I leave the three foals in the pasture they are in - for up to 8 hours at a time during the day. If I do that every day, I could feed them a "lunch" which will bring them to 3x daily of feed. I'll see how it goes...

And here are some pics of the boys from their first baths and 2nd haltering session on Saturday.

Echo (the black/white colt) is doing AWESOME! I even worked on his hooves - trimming them for the first time while he stood quietly. I made sure that I didn't keep him held up too long, but didn't let go if he was fussing either. His dam is TERRIBLE about being handled and touched and hasn't had an official farrier visit since February 2012 when our farrier said "...that's it, I'm not dealing with your idiot anymore..." I also spent 3 hours working with her (i'm now sporting 4 sets of bruises where her lashing hooves managed to catch me even though I was paying attention and being careful - yes, I'm very sore and she's very NASTY about having her legs and feet handled). I DID get her to stand still, finally, and let me pick up each hoof (for only a few seconds on the hinds, but that's ok!). She lashed out again yesterday, but didn't take as much work to get her back to standing. I hate to admit it, but today, I wasn't moving well and decided it would be a mistake to work with her - especially since I was home alone. I will work with her again tomorrow, though.

Here's a couple of shots of Echo!

13aug23ec914.jpg

I "trained" his mane (braided it down with lots of "Goop") to the left - 4 two reasons - one it doesn't cover up his white spot on the right side and it is just like his sire's now! I normally prefer manes to be on the right side.

Here's 2 side shots -

13aug23ec924.jpg
13aug23ec926.jpg

and a headshot taken from one of the original shots -

13aug23ec923h.jpg
13aug23ec926h.jpg

Here is Rio. Gosh, he's sooo TINY to me (Echo's sire is 45" & dam is 40"). Rio's sire is 40" and his dam is 37" at the withers... AND Rio is still TINY! I can't get over how much difference there is between the three foals. Before I do Rio's single pics - here's one of all 3!

13aug23mix913.jpg

Here is his headshot that I really like

13aug23rio942h.jpg
13aug23rio938h.jpg

13aug23rio951.jpg

After I turned him loose and he rolled...

13aug23rio963.jpg

He's just ADORABLE!!

This time, I didn't get good pics of Bunny. She was terrible about her bath (just introducing her to water/hosing). Funny, her dam isn't bad at all about water or grooming - but Bunny, is not a sweet bunny heart when it comes to being groomed. I've kept my elbows ready for her to "hit" - cuz' she's fast with her teeth when you touch her chest and faster with her hind legs when you touch her belly. She then stood pouting after I got her wet ...

13aug23bun911.jpg
fuzzy, but shows size diff between the two foals (born 15 days apart - same sire)

13aug23bun931.jpg

13aug23bun932.jpg

She looks happier after she's been turned loose!

13aug23bun973.jpg

She's leading nicely, too. Just wasn't happy about grooming or washing.

and I can't resist! I got some OHLALA type shots of the boys! Cupid is a 2010 full brother to little Rio. Comet (2011) & Rocket (2012) are full brothers sired by the same stallion out of a 13 hh Arab/Hackney mare. Sami (2008) is out of a 13.3 hh Arab mare but by AJ (same as Echo).

13aug23mix886.jpg

Aww poor Bunny!! Great pictures Paula - thank you for bringing us up to date with your handsome chips.
default_yes.gif

Well, I'd gotten some pics of Cheri, then when my SIL used the camera - they disappeared! Darn it. To me, they didn't show any changes (at least viewing them on the camera). In fact, at both 9 pm and at 1 am (before I went to bed) she was still tight thru the croup, her milk was testing no where near ready (what little I could get). This morning was only the 3rd day in a row I'd been able to get any fluid ot of her teats - she wasn't happy bout it either. Sooo... REALLY DIDN"T think she was ready.

But she's a maiden! Maybe should have guessed? At 6:30, I had a still wet around the ears colt, in the fog... He looked bright red (with plenty of white) - which wasn't possible since both parents are homozygous black. So...??? I checked Cheri - she has a not quite full udder but her teats showed evidence of nursing. Her vulva wasn't any more soft or relaxed than last night or at 1 am - and NOT BRUISED either. WOW. He's not a teeny-tiny colt, but good sized for a maiden mare... She passed the placenta and he had already shed most of his "slippers" - he's an active little fella.

So - here is Dan D (Dandy or Dan dee).

13aug31danD052.jpg

13aug31dand063.jpg

A quiet moment -

13aug31danD060.jpg

Cheri is an EXCELLANT 1st time momma! He's nursing and doing all the other stuff he should. She cleaned up her breakfast and I'm getting ready to go give her lunch, too.

DanD is a very nice colt though I'd really been hoping for different plumbing. His tiny bit of "black" between his ears (will be his forelock) and that bit in his tail is charcoal colored - so I'm going to say he got his bay gene from momma and a silver gene from daddy. Silver bay, homozygous black, homozygous tobiano. His page is already up (I only had to change "Cheri's Foal" to his name and add th pictures & link his album)... Dan D.

Latest posts

Back