LPPaintedPonys - Cherry FOALED 31 AUG - PICS pg 12; Stuffy FOALED pg 6,Tory FOALED pics pg5, Koalah

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a handsome big boy!! And I love your story about Stuffy's early days.
default_yes.gif

Many congrats to both of you!!

wow what a beautiful big boy! congrats!! and how awesome about the age thing with your grand daughters
default_smile.png
so very cute!

he looks gorgeous!

What a handsome big boy!! And I love your story about Stuffy's early days.
default_yes.gif

Many congrats to both of you!!
ThanX!

I've just been thankful that Stuffy has always had a good "Momma" attitude. Maybe it helped that she was raised with other mares and foals? I do not know.

Stuffy couldn't regulate her temperature at first - even in the house she wore the girls' sweatshirts. I don't have any pics where I put two on her with the bottoms pinned together in the middle so that the arms covered all 4 legs but I did get this one in my living room at the time (we didn't have our furniture yet - so that made it much easier to have a "horse in the house")...

a3ea.jpg

Madira feeding Stuffy her Mare's Milk replacer (not sure if we were still getting mild from Patty or not - she dried up really fast!).

79ef.jpg

2169.jpg

This is the only photo I have of Stuffy riding in the truck... it was taken the day we picked her up from the vet clinic. I then had to go and pick up Skye from school and since Stuffy was acting like she needed to "go", I scooped her up and set her down on the grass while waiting for class to get out for the afternoon. Of course, then the whole class came out to see her! I was either lucky or all the "stuff" in her system kept her from getting sick - cause there were about 30 kindergarteners that got to pet her that afternoon before we left to go home.

While I've been thankful not to have any more orphans of any kind, I CAN move my kitchen table out of the kitchen, put up a sturdy doggy gate and raise another one that way if needed in our current house (couldn't easily do that in the last two)...

WE don't know if Stuffy was actually early, or if she was a "dummy foal" or if her dam just wasn't interested in taking care of her or if she went tooo long before getting to nurse since she was popped under the fence into her sire's pen. By dates, when I saw her covered, she was not early but she was only two when bred... and in very poor shape when I bought her.

I warned you guys... cuteness overload!!

Awww Paula, these pictures are adorable with your granddaughters!
wow what a beautiful big boy! congrats!! and how awesome about the age thing with your grand daughters
default_smile.png
so very cute!

he looks gorgeous!
It will be interesting to see if either of the grand daughters take to the ponies like their mom and their aunts did! Some people have stated to me that I forced our daughters to "like" the ponies, but since I've been around so many toddlers and youngsters - I've found that not to be true. If the girls' truly hadn't enjoyed it, life could have been very miserable indeed.

When we were in MT, the girls had limited exposure - I went from working part time, to full time to LOTS of overtime and got to the point where they stayed almost all the time in my parent's home even tho I had a place of our own (Larry was in Saudi at the time). My step dad had been seriously injured on the job as a maintenance supervisor for many of the truckstops up on the "high line" (upper interstates of MT) - swept off the roof of one of the pump covers by a wind burst and really "broken up"... The girls' helped, in their own precarious ways, to bring Dad back - one step at a time as he took care of them for me and they "helped" him take care of his and mom's 3 full size horses and our 3 ponies (when Stuffy was born). His accident had occurred not long after I'd returned home in 93 and they didn't tell me as I was having problems with my pregnancy with Sierra and then coping after she was born for a while. I wasn't prepared for Dad's condition when I DID get to return for a visit in early 95 - total shock!

Two years later, we returned to NC, but since we had a home in a development, the ponies couldn't stay there, LOL. We found a vet about 8 miles from us who leased a whole 4 acre section of land to us behind the vet clinic (actually think the total property including the vet clinic was 5 acres and we ended up with 3 fenced and screened by trees and irrigation ditches from the clinic). BUT that meant getting the oldest - Skye - on the bus for the end of her 1st grade year every morning and then taking the other two out with me to the ponies. We would spend several hours out there - feeding and each pony was groomed while we were there. The girls would help as they could - Sierra often sat backwards on Patty and took a nap that way (I have one pic of that). Madira, "girly-girl", usually preferrd to sleep in the truck - of course w/ the air on if the doors were shut.

Then back home for lunch, naps (while I alternated between napping with them and cleaning house), Skye getting home - some homework and snack, then back out to the ponies where the process was repeated!

I did take out door type toys out to the ponies and there was a tobacco barn where we stored hay, feed and tack the toys. But the girls seemed to enjoy the help they were able to do and they were learning, by exposure, how to deal with the ponies... and have always seemed to enjoy it. When they took lessons, I supported them - if they wanted to go further - they did. If they needed to back off - we did that too. They all rode western, english - basic dressage and jumping, speed events and trail riding. My youngest became the main "Pony Jock" - riding all the 2 & 3 yr olds as they were ready. Often times we hauled them to local shows and if they did ok - we had several that were shown under saddle in w/t classes w/ only 15 actual rides...

Then moved, they didn't want to show so much so we started doing the trail riding thing and we had a ball!

The granddaughters aren't exposed to the ponies daily (yet?) and aren't always thrilled... So we'll see if they develop the interest that our duaghters had. None of our daughters have wanted to do the regular everyday work with the ponies - not sure any of them would be able to set up a feed program by themselves w/o serious help (they all know how to read, but!). Only the youngest is into daily schooling/training - the older two DO still enjoy riding and can do the required grooming both before and after - but they aren't interested right now in the day to day conditioning and were very surprised when I said they couldn't haul out horses to do a 3 hour trail ride recently...LOL.

Rio is 2 days old. Turned out in the barn paddock with the other mares/foals and the yearlings & 1 2 yr old. When mhy other fence is redone, the yearlings & 2 yrold will be moved out of the "baby nursery". The bottom pic shows him with his dam, Stuffy and his two year old sister, Wyndy, is following them around. Not sure now if Wyndy is going to stay mini height...

13apr19rio422a.jpg

13apr19rio433.jpg

13apr19rio421.jpg

13apr19bun444.jpg

13apr19bun448.jpg

Pics of Bunny. She's become pretty photogenic AND yesterday while I was out and about, she came up to me to be petted and scratched...

And one of her exploring a feed bucket I'd set down to feed others -

13apr17bun338.jpg

And pictures of Echo. I need to take a bunch of him this weekend - most haven't turned out... His dam is my "runaway mare" and hard to deal with. I'll have to spend more time with him at feeding times, as she's already teaching him that "staying away" is good!

13apr19ec429.jpg

13apr19ec440.jpg

13apr19ec441.jpg

Here he is on the 17th with grand daughter Gwen and daughter Skye. He is 7 days old.

13apr17ec352.jpg

Oh my gosh! they are all so adorable! Stuffy is so cute in his sweater! I bet the kids are having a blast with him...
default_thumbup.gif

So, we are preparing for the next one. I can't remember the exact dates she was covered and my stallion report is "buried" and I haven't dug it out. For some reason I don't have the actual dates on my Breeding page on my laptop...

She spent three days in a row going thru two hot fences (4 strands of high Tensile wire with two strands of "hot rope" - and when I checked they bottom one was hot enuff to knock me to my knees). I finally got tired of putting her back where she was supposed to be and just left her to run with Iggy and Stuffy at that time. Want to say it was from the 2nd of October that that started... That would make her due in late August or early September.

Here's a few pics of "Cherry" - Dynamics Cherishthemoment - taken yesterday mid-morning. "U wanted to see me? R u sure u want to take distance pics? I'm headed your way...". Any time she sees me or Larry, she comes up and buries her head in our chests or bellies - it's great!!!!

13aug3che615.jpg
13aug3che616.jpg

and the side view from the 31 of July.

13jul28ch1313.jpg

She was last officially measured at 43" at the withers, but I think she's grown since then. She's needing a bit more weight, but she sometimes leaves her feed. I'm starting to feed her 3x day so that she gets her feed w/o having to leave any... This foal is by "Iggy" (All That Syle N' Class). This foal will be homozygous for black and for Tobiano. She carries one bay gene and he carries one silver gene - so we shall see what color we get (black, bay, silver black, silver bay - w/ guaranteed spots!)! She's starting to bag up, but think she has a ways to go yet. I just want a healthy baby but hope for a filly to keep to breed back to one of our other boys in the future (thank goodness it would be a while!). She's been stalled at her breeders' and at the previous owners place, so may start bringing her in at night to the "stall" in our carport OR I've just set up the fencing by our barn for an extra large grassed pen that is safe for a foal. I don't want to overgraze it and it was mowed last Thursday, so will wait to put her in it (she's grazed the area before). If not raining, I'd rather she foaled on the grass. I just like that, myself. It's not far from the house, but can't see it w/o going outside. We'll see.

I will start getting more preggo pics later this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any "good" pics of the babies. Got some "suckie" ones of two of them - will try for some more in a little bit and again this next week...

I did get a couple that I guess I can show - they are far from good ones... 2 of Bunny (silver/wh filly), 1 of Rio (silver/wh colt) & none of Echo (blk/wt colt).

Yes, Bunny looks like a palomino and no, I haven't sent in her color test yet.

13jul20bu332.jpg

13jul20bu333.jpg

He's been led about via a "figure 8" (lead rope wrapped around his chest, crossed over his back, and then looped around his hindquarters), but this was his first time with the halter and lead rope on and I do believe he's pouting! In the barn, he's easy to catch and does stand tied - with a belly rope that loops around his barrel, thru his front legs thru the collar and tied to the fence. All the foals are standing that way now...

13jul20rio328.jpg

You have gorgeous ponies ! and cute grand babies
default_smile.png
I love Echo !

THANX everyone for the compliments!!

Wish I could get some more decent pics of Echo - he's so hard to get good shots of. I'm just happy that I can catch him in the barn and he occasionally comes up to me in the pasture (when I don't want to catch anyone, of course). His dam is the little witch that is soooo hard to deal with! I used to spend a lot more time with the babies, but with so many right now to start working in harness and lots of farm maintenance going on - don't have any of the 3 foals where I used to by this age... sigh.

Haven't been able to have the bon fire yet - the rain keeps coming on the days/"weekends" that hubby and kids can come out! 2 of the 3 daughters are working nights and the middle one is getting ready to switch to nights which might mean we see her again, but maybe not with also going to school. Larry has switched to days for the next 5 months (he's worked nights the whole 27 years we've been together, with only occasional days for classes, so this is HARD for him. He's a regular "vampire" and this daytime stuff - bothers him - plus is a major paycut - yikes!). He's only just begun to be a "normal" human, and has 5 more months of it... I didn't realize that it would be so hard to share "my" bed every night. Now, we are both restless sleepers constantly bumping into each other (not a good way, ROFLMAO!!!). Back to bonfire - without burning it, we can't haul any more "tree parts" to it. So they are just sitting where they were dropped... UGH. Well, at least the front yard is now clear - and Larry wasn't happy when he realized that not only did Iggy pull them up to the bonfire, but I threw them into the pile. He's worried that it's now too large and that when we do set it off, it will be too huge - taking a chance starting the tree off a ways (but huge and bushy this year) and possibly damaging the tin barn... We shall see. Right now, just too much rain, can't even get the bonfire going!!! Will need diesel or kerosene for that...

Didn't get any pics in bright sunshine earlier. Usually too bright at this time, but is cloudy and supposed to get more rain tomorrow. So may get some decent pics this afternoon...

Have Oly that I want to work in the round pen and work on having him "catch me" and easier putting the halter on (his 2 yr old hormones and the girls are driving him to distraction, but he's got to learn you still have to have manners). He's now wearing his bit calmly, will be adding harness parts this week - starting with a surcingle. If everything works out, and I like his disposition as I work with him this winter (and he doesn't get sold), he'll be put to Cherry next spring for a 2015 foal.

I'm thinking about the others I'd like to breed him to - I'd like to cover at least 2 mares but haven't decided yet on whom the 2nd should be... Maybe Cherry's 3/4 sister (same sire - Graham's Little King Lee) - Cassie? Wonder if he'd add some bulk to her - I think I'd get too refined a foal breeding her to Iggy - though that was whom I'd initially purchased her to breed to... Can you guys help with that decision? I don't mind opinions at all. I highlighted Oly, Cherry and Cassie's names with their web pages (hope that is OK?) if you'd like to go check them out! Got lots of time, though, will try for breeding as early as mid-February when the mares start coming into heat. Our weather is cold and can sometimes get snow at that time here, but usually don't. And since we did this year, probably won't get snow/ice in 2015. I love the early babies that can then be weaned by May/June... I just have an "easier" time with that for whatever reason.

O - and won't be breeding any if I don't sell some (this IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT and hope it isn't taken as such)... I'm where I am - can't take on any more if the numbers stay the same. I've had plenty of calls lately - but I don't seem to have what everyone is looking for. Either they want young and "dead broke" to ride for a kid or they want young and certain colors (a lot of comments about my "ugly tan" ponies!!), but all want at prices below what I have invested in each of them. And none is interested in well trained to ride and drive - at the prices they state they can afford - but mares are in their late teens and early 20's. Would be funny but it isn't... I've dropped the prices on several to much lower than a lot of other folks but the ones that seem to be selling in our area are the ones on Craigs List for less than $200. NOPE, not what I have. Besides, if they can't do at least what I'm asking for some, they'd probably not be able to afford their everyday care. I will continue to work with what I have and love on them and get them ALL going in harness and utilize them in turns, w/o selling, it that's what I need to do. Eventually, some will find the great homes they deserve and then I'll be able to breed for a couple more... when the times are right, LOL.

Sorry - guess I needed to vent a bit. Just got another call - different person but almost an exact quote to one I got 2 weeks ago (maybe a gf/bf or husband/wife)! She did start out asking some good questions that I took the time to answer - then my blood ran cold with this. She stated (same as he did 2 weeks ago) ..." you have so many in your pastures, I thought you could just give me one..." !!!!!!!!!! I was seeing red as I hung up!

OK, sorry bout that! Back to Mommas and Babies!!!

Will be looking for some name choices for new foal - "Iggy" (All That Style N Class) and "Cherry" (Dynamics Cherishthemoment). Our farm name is LP Painted and some that I have come up with - LP Painted:

Dynamic Style - filly barn name - Dyna or D or ? ; colt barn name - Mic or ?... I like to try to keep similar as that's how we match them to their papers .. Or -

Cherished Style - filly - barn name??

StyleNmoment -

Momentous Style

Dandy Moment

Dandy Cherished

We have a Classic Bell - barn name of Classy - so don't really want to use "Class" or "Classic". Also have a FlashNfluff - barn name of Flashi (just finished her 2nd show season, daughter of Iggy from another mare).

O - I like "Birdy" and could use that a number of ways as a registered name for a colt or filly (tho fits a filly better)... hmmm... It all depends on what fits - I often work with something that "pops" right after birth and work it into a registered name. But then I have lists, too!

& might have to be careful - have found some names while pretty and/or workable - "come true" as to type... Ayre Games was "Ari" - and that colt was a tall, leggy, light bodied (airy!) fella to this day. I love the name "Sly" - but maybe it wouldn't be appropriate? We too have had a "Rascal" - mainly cause that's what stuck with his personality! "Minx" - you can only guess (her new owner re-named her)!!! "Vixenation" - shortened to "Vixen" .... ???? She FIT THAT! Would eventually love to have a "Foxy" - but have enuff hussy type mares, LOL. A Patch E (apache) was a rough and tumble kinda guy - especially at first. "IC" was named after the weather - but for a long, long time - it more applied to how she related to us humans. "Frosty" was the same - only a colt. Lacey & Velvet (both out of Satin) turned out to be pretty nice, little loves! They were full sisters to Vixen, born in a different month/time of the year... Comet & Rocket aren't named just space themes based on their dam, Star, but because they are both "zoom, zoom" type of colts!! Soooo.... AAWWWW this has helped raise my spirits!!

What do you all think????

UHOH, maybe I should shorten this "blog"?

WOW!! What a read!! (just like the posts I somtimes do - I call them epistles LOL!!) Great to hear all the news - sounds as though you manage to keep pretty busy LOL!!

Cant wait for some updated pics of Cherry and keeping my fingers crossed for a safe foaling and a gorgeous healthy little baby!

Good luck!
default_yes.gif

So - you up to doing brainstorming on names? I'd love to have a list to choose from...

Updated pics! Finally got one of Echo I REALLY LIKE! The other two... better than "haltering day",

ECHO -

13aug8ech796.jpg

RIO - also a 3/4 facing shot and one enjoying a good back scratch!

13aug8rio803.jpg
13aug8rio776.jpg

and got two shots of Bunny (same sire as Rio, he's the darkest silver foal we've ever had and Bunny is the lightest!) -

13aug8bun762.jpg
13aug8bun802.jpg

Latest posts

Back