LP Painted Ponys - 2016 foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintponylvr

Reaction score
So, may have Tory carry into 2016, not sure at this point! BUT here are the 3 Jr girls I'm suspecting of being pregnant for Jan-Mar or so...

1st up -

KoKo - LP KoKo Pagasus H (yes, we know "Pegasus" is spelled wrong -that's how her sire's name is spelled) - a solid silver mare that is heterozygous for black and silver. Her foal by Wizard will either be silver bay or bay tobiano (could be heterozygous or homozygous for black) or chestnut tobiano carrying a bay gene and maybe a silver gene. We purchased her in 2009 when she was 4 months old. She is started in harness (VERY green) and has worked both single and as a pair while logging. I last measured her at 40+" in height, but think she's a bit larger than that now.

Here she is the day after we got home. That tail is all Iowa cockle burrs - so was her mane and a large portion of that tiny body!!

09sep22ke592.jpg
09sep22ke614.jpg

My favorite pic of her at 18 months old.

10oct9ko758.jpg

More harness training at 2 1/2. Yes, this mini harness breeching and hip straps are too small for "her wideness". The headstall (no blinders) and the surcingle fit... The orange are driving lines I braided out of recycled haystring from our roundbales.

11sep25ko404.jpg

13jan28ko638.jpg

Logging single! This is a LARGE log and she pulled it uphill and thru 2 sets of pasture gates before she couldn't budge it anymore. I then hitched her as a pair with Cupid and they moved it the rest of the way into the pasture I wanted it in as a "box" obstacle...

13aug30ko019.jpg

it wouldn't let me post more than the 6 photos... I'll post a 2nd page on her w/ her current "preggo" pics now...

KoKo - these are shots taken since July 2015. I HAVE seen movement from the foal (last hoof trimming), so know that she is pregnant besides "looking preggers".

15jul29ko193248.jpg

15aug25ko0851.jpg

15dec25ko105324.jpg
15dec25ko103802.jpg

15dec25ko103638.jpg

15dec25ko103559.jpg

Next up is "GG" or LP Painted Silver Toy. "GG" was purchased in utero (Bell, her dam, was pregnant with her when I purchased Bell as a 3-in-1 package w/ a colt at her side. She was born on June 10th, 2010 - not long after Vicki and I had started hauling ponies together over to take lessons in driving. I had started driving Bell single in May and "GG" went w/ us from about 10 days of age on. She spent part of her time loose, part tied to the trailer and part tied to her dam.

Pics of "GG" from foal-hood -

What I walked out to see right around the corner of our house (after feeding in the morning - OF COURSE) - "Cupid" the partially clipped colt was born in Feb so is 4 months old...

10jun10gi099.jpg

How "GG" got her name - See the butt marking? Those of you in "my age bracket" (50 and up), may recognize the Fischer Price Toy Giraffe, also sold by Avon for a while... "Giraffe" didn't work for me - so it was shortened to "GG" & her registered name became "Silver Toy".

10jun10gi110.jpg

"Working" w/ her dam. She is 2 months old here.

10aug3be826.jpg

Part of "GG's" driving training. She wasn't real keen on umbrellas for a while!!

13jan6gg503.jpg

13mar16ncwhma878a.jpg

"GG" and her dam, "Bell", creating goodwill at a local church...

14oct25church441.jpg

Pictures from this year (I have to go get some from yesterday, 1st. Didn't load them, I guess...)

15jul29gg193108.jpg

15aug25gg0859.jpg

15nov17gg101458.jpg
15dec25gg105216.jpg

15dec25gg121932.jpg

Not really a good "preggo" shot, but fun! I don't have as many shots of her as I thought - none of her left side since Aug!

15dec25gg103618.jpg

So, "GG" is a whole lot of single genes - Ee, Tt, Zn. The resulting foal will be tobiano (homozygous?) & can be bay/silver bay (black base- heterozygous or homozygous) or chestnut carrying a bay and possibly a silver gene.

and 3rd is "Ami". "Ami" is a 2010 mare that we purchased when she was 2 yrs old. She is double registered AMHR B and ASPC (Foundation type). Last time I measured her, she was 36" at the withers - our smallest mature pony. She is a solid colored silver like KoKo and heterozygous for both black and silver. Her foal, by Wizard, will be a tobiano and can be either bay/silver bay or a chestnut carrying a bay gene w/ a possibility of carrying a silver gene.

I only have pics of her as a baby that were sent to me by previous owner (that were given to her by breeder?), but I didn't get/don't have approval to post those here... SO - here are 3 & older shots -

Sierra (our youngest daughter) showing Gracie (a little older than 2) how to hold a single rein. Gracie's mom, Skye - our oldest daughter, is in the roundpen with another pony...

13jan27ami625.jpg

fitting her mini harness - 3 Aug 2013

13aug3ami719.jpg

13sep11ami126.jpg

14mar28cuam7061.jpg

14jun28amcu686.jpg

14sep14ami649.jpg

and the weather went to "poo"... no pics. The wind is moving things around a bit more than I like. We have had some lighter stuff - re positioned nicely. I met up with and went to lunch with another friend after my doctor's appointment. Started raining there while we waited for the electrician to come check out some problems she had and I had to hit the road (thought I was going to get a load of hay this afternoon, NOT). Later she sent me 4 pics and it took forever to realize that a garage type building that she had had anchored down with wind anchors had had them ripped out, the garage building (12x16 or 20) had been sent cartwheeling thu 2 of her fence lines (that wern't hot at that point). She spent the afternoon moving stuff from what had been a protected garage, into another building. Thankfully she has perimeter fencing around her whole 3 acres - she'll be repairing the interior fences (2 of them) tomorrow.

The girls are moving along. I want to get pics of their udders this weekend, but that's really hard to do when it's foggy/misty or pouring.

Tory is back to looking preggers again, too!
default_new_rofl.gif

Here's pics of "GG" and "KoKo". DO NOT BE drinking coffee or wine or other fluids when you look at "GG's" pics - I made a funny. I don't want to be responsible for your computer dropping dead due to spray!!

"KoKo" and not the best pics at all! 2 photos have todays date on them - it's not even daylight yet. Will need to fix those later. You'd never know that 2 weeks ago, the granddaughters and I combed out her mane (forgot to trim her tail and didn't braid it yet).

16jan16ko153009.jpg

1st udder pic. Again, far from the best but starting to show some development. This is the first "recognizable" pic of this area, LOL.

16jan16ko153051.jpg

Her head turned to the left throws it off a little (more pronounced), but the baby is on the right side.

16jan16ko153106.jpg

16jan16ko153116.jpg

And "GG". These photos show how a well proportioned, beautiful pony (OK, I AM prejudiced) can be turned into a terrible looking pony. Just by the proportions being changed by bad positioning!

16jan16gg153133.jpg

1st udder pic. There IS development, but it doesn't show in this "bad" pic... "Halloooooo up there! Any one making milk? HELLoo...HELloo..HEllo...Hello...hello...oooooo... ". She didn't appreciate that at all...
default_whistling.gif

16jan16gg153212.jpg

16jan16gg153238.jpg

16jan16gg153253.jpg

Her mane and tail were also one's combed out by the girls. I braided her tail and put it up, but it will need to come down and be rebraided in the next week or so to prevent it from matting... You can also see that even though her head is turned slightly to the left, her baby is on the left side. Might be more pronounced to the left if her head was completely straight.

So, will get "Ami's" & "Tory's"photos hopefully today. It's supposed to rain this AM and it's really gross looking outside right now. Wind is gusting 12mph, too. YEAH...

Diane - good for you!!

Bonny - I know how rare it is/was in Welsh. Surprising that it was never truly seen and then in just a couple of years, two ponies showed up with it (the mare was in TX - not sure if she's still there). The stallion was in Canada and went to another owner/possible breeder in Canada - but I've lost track of him... It's my understanding that the Cremello stallion in Florida carries silver as well, but I've never seen a silver foal by him. AND just like the stallion in Canada - I've lost track of him. Not sure if he's still standing at public stud or not.

I both wanted to breed an Arab mare to the stallion (AI from Canada) and purchase the mare from TX but neither worked out...
default_sad.png

This freezing rain can go away!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonny - Thank you for the offer. While I DO like Riot, I'm not quite ready to do the 1/2 welsh breeding.

I'm already "tired" of bays. I'm "over bayed" at the moment and will be as long as we use Wizard (all foals guaranteed to be bay pintos or chestnut pinto w/ bay gene - homozygous for both bay and tobiano. If a mare passes a silver gene, can have a silver bay or chestnut carrying both a silver and bay gene. If a mare passes a cream gene, buckskin or palomino). In all actuality, I DO love my bays - we currently have 1 solid bay arab mare; 2 bay tobiano mares that are 1/2 sisters to Wizard, Wizard, & a bay tobiano 1/2 shetland gelding. Plus the two new babies that are both bay (& beautiful) tobianos. Looking at our pastures right now - you will see a wide variety of colors again. We also have bred & raised many solid bay arab/arab Xs and & both purebred & 1/2 shetland bay tobianos - of varying shades.

14jul18mix0852.jpg

13aug23mix877.jpg

I was soooo excited when I got back into raising purebred Shetlands, to be able to put together a group of silver and silver tobiano mares AND for a short time a silver tobiano stallion. I currently have 4 purebred shetland daughters of his to carry on with - 1 needs to be tested as she MIGHT be homozygous silver. I also have a silver bay tobiano daughter that is 1/2 shetland (out of Arab/Hackney mare).

These 3 - Flower & Bunny are 1/2 sisters by Iggy (homozygous black, single silver, homozygous tobi). Flower is 1/2 shetland - know she carries 1 bay gene, 1 tobiano gene, 1 silver gene and 1 "E" for black base. Don't know if her bay dam gave her an "E" or an "e". Doesn't really matter - hadn't really planned on using her for breeding. Bunny is homozygous black (both dam and sire are). She has not been tested yet for tobiano or silver - she could be single or double on either or both. Her "light" coloring lead me to believe she is homozygous silver... GG is unrelated to the pair, but also a silver black tobiano (single genes for each).

14jul10mix245.jpg

This pair of Iggy daughters, out of two very different mares, are always together. In the first pic the dams of the two are the darker/larger mare at the very back and the lighter mare closest to the fillies - ground driving as a 3 abreast hitch with the full sister the lighter mare in between. The fillies will make a great LITTLE pair (some of the smallest that Iggy has sired for us) and later they should produce some nice foals to carry down the line... Hard to believe they are coming 4 yrs old this year!

12may1clsh670.jpg

13apr9clsh155.jpg

15feb19mix098.jpg

I am looking forward to using Echo - a black homozygous tobiano (wish he was homozygous black like his sire). With some of the silver mares, he will sire chestnut tobianos.

Soooo...

Yesterday when I "felt" the girls while doing hoof trims (didn't get pics, sorry), wasn't impressed with udder possibilities.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

TONIGHT - both KoKo and GG have have started shopping!!!
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_488.gif
Sorry, though, no pics tonight either - too dark!

SOOO, I promise tomorrow, I will get piccies! and I want to braid up KoKo's tail.

Ami - I'm not so sure about. In the ice storm, she seemed to lose some weight. Now I'm thinking that she may just be "fat", but I will wait to see and will continue to take pics. I could swear I saw movement in her flank/belly a while ago, so... DUNNO for sure.

Hmm, it's gotten late! I did sleep in since I was up until almost 1. I've got to get outside. Will be taking the pics promised!

I got PICS!! IN alphabetical order -

AMI - the one as I last stated, I'm not sure about right now. After getting her "pedicure" yesterday, she took off bucking and running. I've had pregnant mares do that but they have a tendency to move differently than she was... Plus she just looks "lighter" in the foal way - but round in the "THELWELL PONY" way. PIc of udder didn't really turn out - this is about the 10th one. She turned out to be ticklish and I "didn't listen". After shivering her skin, she then switched her tail then she kicked at her belly where I guess I was brushing against her. My phone wound up all the way outside the pen when she connected with it. Surprised it still works!

16jan31ami0999.jpg

16jan31ami1006.jpg

16jan31ami1007.jpg
16jan31ami1008.jpg

I will try for more udder shots on Thursday (daylight).

16jan31ami1010.jpg

and here is "KoKo" - also a maiden.

16jan31ko0998.jpg

16jan31ko1003.jpg

compared to 2 weeks ago -

16jan16ko153051.jpg

16jan31ko1004.jpg

16jan31ko1000.jpg

She was uncomfortable while eating today. She kept stopping and staring off into space. Took her lots longer than normal to eat AND she laid down, too, at one point. She was also having large amounts of gas - ummmm - it was quite foul. I know, pregnancy and horses at any time = gas, but wow!

The weather needs to straighten out, too, as it wasn't just KoKo having issues today (it was like 8* w/ windchill last Saturday and hit 72* today - I did chores in shorts and tank). I don't really think the gas was from pregnancy - but from the up/down weather. I was grateful that she did her usual and went right to the water tank after eating and took a good long drink before heading back over to the hay bales.

Bonny - I don't have a true barn, LOL. Even the shed behind the house is too far away from the house (no easy way to do power & too far for the WiFi to run ) according to the info I've been reading. Oh, hubby just said we MIGHT have signal out there - but not sure which systems would work...(expense)...

No, actually I've liked having them where they can be outside. I have been thinking about putting them in the round pen at night (with a round bale) - so that their movement can be contained to a smaller area. Their pasture (I've called them the Jr Mares) isn't actually done - so they have the full run of the 7 acre perimeter area...

Latest posts

Back