LP Painted Ponys - 2015 Foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats!!! Iv missed so much!! Woooo color!!! Your rainbow just keeps on coming
default_smile.png

Thanx, all.

Yep, she's one to put "Wizzy" on the map. For me, she's also a good mover - not the high action so many folk like to see - but long, low, sweepy (think hunter horse) - very similar to the first filly we got out of Koalah (who can still drill her tail into the ground at 4 yrs of age - like a good competitive reining loper). I keep wishing this filly was a larger pony or horse - she'd make an awesome riding mount - the kind I could sit and enjoy all day long.

Tory's foal will either be a red or bay, tobiano. We'll see how this foal is marked! Should be stunningly built. "Wiz" appears to be just the right stallion to cross on our mares and I'm looking forward to future foals... Eventually, I will cross him on some of Koalah's daughters (we own her three silver spots by "Iggy").

Diane - didn't think anything of your farm name. I'd spent my Jr/sr high school years in Parker, CO and attended sr high school in Castle Rock...(between Denver and Colorado Springs right off of I-25).

Which book did Castle Rock come from? It's not a familiar place when associated with his writing... but I hadn't read a lot of his books and none recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... yes, I remember the state of Maine being featured. Maybe I just connected Castle Rock to "my" Castle Rock... Who knows? Too funny!
default_whistling.gif
default_rolleyes.gif

The things we don't remember! I've always liked the name of Castle Rock and even before I went to school in Castle Rock, I had a spot up on a cliff that I often rode to as a pre-teen - I dubbed it Castle Rock when I'd go up and just sit there sometimes (it was a rock in an open landscape and became "my" castle) - looking at the open areas around me that could be seen from that spot. It wasn't particularly high as cliffs and mountains go, but it was a GREAT vantage point. I sometimes rode bareback up to that point in the early mornings and watched the sun come up - even before hopping on the bus to go to school. Can't remember how early had to get up to do that - my own kids caught the bus here in NC between 0605 and 0615!

Just some of the things we DO remember. Every time I see your farm name in your signature block, I remember that!!

I just watched the sun come up here in NC w/ my coffee and I remembered other sunrises. Here's to you, Diane
default_cheers.gif
- no suds, just good coffee.

Sorry, much rambling this morning. Must go check the mares soon... Haven't done that yet. Hubby will be home from work soon, too.

Diane, I can't gag down even one cup of coffee. I like Diet Pepsi (at home I drink decaf), and I've grown fond of tea (hot or ice, but only a few kinds, and drink decaf).

Hmmmm.... well, about that. That's quite embarrassing, actually.

Tory is Tory. She LOOKS pregnant. I THINK she's nursing "Kava" - Koalah's foal. For a while her udder had gotten large, then shrank a lot and her teats are staying kinda large and "flat". Recently she looks a LOT more pregnant - starting to get really round, finally.

'Clipse has "swallowed a watermelon" and I need to get pics of her! No real udder development yet, though.

Anyhoo, since I hadn't had another foal and they are doing "odd things", I pulled out the calendar and spent several hours pouring over my notes and pictures from 2014. And scratching my head. Then my hubby looked over and this was what came from this font of wisdom ... "... do you think that they could be pregnant from Oly for the two times he was put back in his pen after getting out?" The look on my face must have been PRICELESS - he laughed until his sides hurt so much his eyes were watering (nah, he was CRYING & SNORTING &, &, & !!).

Me - "What do you mean - when Oly got out?".... "O, (frown), maybe we forgot to tell you???" .... "...errrr ... tell me what...exactly?..." Him - "well, I know that he was out at least a couple of times and either I put him away or Julie did - he always "gravitated" over to where Spanky was (Julie's mini stallion). After running around, he was always easy to catch. Think Justin (our SIL) left the gate open a couple of times, too" Me - "uhhhuuuhhh."

Soooo... Oly came home on September 1, 2014. Neither hubby nor Julie can remember when he may have gotten out - nope neither wrote it down at all, neither took a pic or two of him running, neither called me or sent a text. Oly went back to Vicki's on November 29th. And now I'm wondering about the times our SIL fed Wizard later in the year as well... (when I fed, I often left the bigger gates for the mares pasture open after I had them caught and while feeding them, scrubbing out their water tanks, hauling hay - even while grooming them as they ate - can't explain exactly why - just easier I guess. Usually always closed the boys' gates once I went thru them. Maybe because they were more likely to be silly/break their ties, leave since they never seemed happy in their paddocks, even the geldings, and they were in the pasture right by a major road?)...

That leaves some pretty wide open dates - a definite 80+ day period, still later in the year, for Oly babies instead of Wizzy babies.

Instead of a possible sister/brother breeding (Wizard x 'Clipse - sired by same sire), have a possible dam/son breeding (Oly x Tory). Life is just so interesting. I've personally never had this type of thing happen before and to happen 2 times in one year w/ 2 different pony stallions? Well... looking into what we need to do to do paternal testing - to see who will have actually sired the two foals I believe are still coming... and have NO CLUE when they will come. They will come when they're darn, good and ready!

In the meantime, I have taken some pics of Kava - they aren't the greatest, but she's doing great!

Love her blue eyes. Don't know much about blue eyes, myself. I've never had any before w/ all the ponies/horses we've bred. Koalah's 1st colt for us, sired by a palomino, had blue/green eyes - that have changed to what I call amber... So, I have no idea if her eyes are going to stay blue or not yet at this point.

15jul29kav183238.jpg

Haven't loaded these to Picasa yet, so just attaching here...

15jul29kav182949.jpg

15jul29kav182943.jpg

Oh, wow. Sounds like you'll be typing foals this fall. Do you have a preference for who did the deed? Hope they don't drag it out too long for you

Usually if the eyes are that blue they stay blue. Her dam or sire had to have overo or splash to keep the blue eyes. Have a colt that's eyes were the same color and they will stay blue. He got splash from his dam. Your filly is very cute.

HAHAHAHAHA! Splash me "stupid" - overo (splash or frame) never occurred to me!!! I've had several sabino marked mares - minimal to moderate, along w/ my Tobi's and no blue eyes in 30 years of breeding. ROFLOL.

That would have to come from the sire - Wizard. In looking at the other foals by his sire, I never figured the "overo" foals he sired came from him. BUT hadn't really thought about it.

I've had Koalah tested - she was previously negative for everything that was testable a few years ago (other than tobiano, homozygous black & silver). Her first Iggy filly for us has that wide blazed face and everyone said OVERO. She was tested and NOPE, not for the patterns that were out then (2011). Think there are a few more tests out now... I will have to have Wiz checked for splash & frame. He's homozygous for Tobi & bay. Heterozygous for black.

Oly - now - that gives us some differences in color! You guys just thought we'd get wild coloring!! Now, can throw solids back into the mix, too, since he's only got the 1 Tobi gene, 1 bay gene & can sire both black & red. He's already sired a solid dark bay colt out of a heterozygous black mare.

As to the babies - I just want HEALTHY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too Kim , I love the fact I get to read a good story when Paula Posts, and a good laugh too.

Kava is just lovely & cant wait to see some pics of the mares and there watermelons lol
default_smile.png

I agree Diane, I agree! Thanks, Kim & Ryan!

Well, little Miss Kava had her first "pedicure" today. Our farrier was surprised by the growth she's had. Kava did OK - she's been handled just about daily BUT she'd never been haltered yet. So we got introduced to that, then stood for the farrier... At one point she literally laid down - her right front hoof was finished while she stayed on the ground, then she calmly got back up! GOOD GIRL.

Our farrier LOVES "abusing" our ponies - she thinks they are so fun to play with! Actually, all of the "good" farriers that I have retained over the years are great w/ the ponies.

15jul31kav093814.jpg
15jul31kav093949.jpg

And "dismounting her ride"....

15jul31kav094001.jpg
15jul31kav094003.jpg

and just "standing nice" - being a good girl. Yes, there is a belly loop here and also a loop around her haunches.

15jul31kav093834.jpg

and standing with out the extra lines about 20 minutes later...

15jul31kav093939.jpg

Between my phone & my camera - I took almost 300 pictures of most of the 26 head of equine on our property today. Got some GOOD shots. I did get some of both Tory and 'Clipse, but don't have them "done" yet (cropped, resized and loaded to on-line album so that I can post them easily). Will prob be tomorrow afternoon before I have them done. I'm off to bed for now...

Usually if the eyes are that blue they stay blue. Her dam or sire had to have overo or splash to keep the blue eyes. Have a colt that's eyes were the same color and they will stay blue. He got splash from his dam. Your filly is very cute.
So - are blue eyes a recessive gene - meaning that she would have to have gotten a blue eye gene from each parent? If so, then more of Koalah's foals could have blue eyes, too!! That's kinda exciting.

'Nother quick post - have to finish up outside this am...

"'Clipse"'s photos -

15jul31cli0692.jpg

15jul31cli0669.jpg

15jul31cli0668.jpg

Some fill started .., so end of Aug - mid-Sept, I expect.

15jul31cli0670.jpg

15jul31cli0694.jpg

and just 'cuz I like this photo!

15jul31cli0696.jpg

Tory's photos -

15jul31to0682.jpg

15jul31to100957.jpg
15jul31to101046.jpg

15jul31to101531.jpg

Yes, Tory needs her rear hooves trimmed. No, she's not truly cow hocked. She's one of our "wild child" mares and Cat (our farrier) has refused to do her hooves since Feb 2012. I've done her fronts at least 2x year since then, but have lots of problems with the rear (she's not a nice pony when it comes to handling - very OVER reactive and gets worse the longer you handle her and always has since I purchased her). That's OK, we like both of the sons she's given us! This sand - while I 'beef' about it, works well to break off hooves naturally,. I didn't get an udder shot other than the one where she's itching herself.

In the last photo - yes, Bell is "sitting" on the post. She hasn't had any evidence of rubbing for a while - then while Cat & I were out there yesterday she itched till she cut her vulva, rubbed her right side butt cheek raw/bloody and prob would have kept it up except that we drove her away from the areas she was rubbing on (went to a tree after led away from this post, chased her out to the pasture).

Had to include this photo of some of our other ponies. I will detail later in the Photo/Video. ALL of these 8 "JR" mares are silver dapples (different shades and amounts of sun fade). 7 are silver black (3 of those are homozygous black - including the filly that LOOKS palomino and carries NO cream gene) & 1 silver bay.

3 of these fillies are Koalah's by Iggy. Flashi (2011), Shamrock (2012) & Bunny (2013). Shamrock is the smallest and Bunny ("gold" filly) is now over 41" in height - constantly growing upwards rather than filling out and gaining more substance...

15jul31mix756.jpg

15jul31mix0765.jpg

Both parents don't have to have a blue eye gene. My colts parents both have blue eyes, but his sire is cremello. He only have a cream gene. Zazzy (colt) got both sabino and splash from mom. Zazzy's granddam (on dams side) had no blue eyes. She was a silver homozygous tobiano bay. His grandsire (same side) had the splash and sabino with blue eyes. We have another mare that has splash. She has one cyrstal blue eye and one dark blue eye. She is a black medicine hat. Both her colts came out pintos but no blue eyes. One sire was also a pinto, so foal was closer to Medicine Hat. The other sire was solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back