Love :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniMaid

Reaction score
Lets chose love insted of hate.
default_smile.png

Some questions for those who oppose gay marrige.

How does gays getting married effect YOUR straight marrige?, They arent going to legalize gay marrige and ban straight marrige.

Why do some of yall think marrige is only for christians? Becuase my parents got married by a judge insted of a pastor does that mean they shall not be legally married?

Some people are like "Gays shouldent be allowed to adopt kids children need a mom and a dad!"

(There are TONS of kids without any home at all, are you saying you'd rather see a homeless 5 year old then a happy one with two dads or two moms?)

If marrige is so sacred while aint anyone campaining to ban divorce?

Do you think god likes hate? It doesent say in the bible (From what ive read) "Love your neighbor - unless there a homo!!!!1"

Um...and incase you didn't know this a stupid sheet of paper doesent mean the wont live together, adopt kids, ect.

I marched on the Day of Decision, Tuesday, protesting California's Prop 8 ruling. Tomorrow is Meet in the Middle for Equality: http://www.meetinthemiddle4equality.com/ which (lucky for me!) takes place in my very own town. I'll be there tomorrow. The following Saturday is Fresno Pride. I'll be there, too. And I will be at every event it is humanly possible for me to make. I will join in every letter writing campaign, every protest. I will never again miss out on a chance to respectfully but firmly state my opinion on this matter. I will NOT stop until we have marriage equality in this state.

3569549138_1697200b30.jpg

Although I am a long time Republican, I do support equal rights for gays.

Love is love and people who find it are lucky. Whether or not it's called marriage doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but there needs to be an equality of rights for people who choose to build a life together.

Being in the financial services profession, I know there are significant estate planning tools available exclusively to married couples, and that bothers me. There needs to be an equalization of rights.

Another thing is that people who oppose calling it marriage say that marriage is a religious term. Well, no... sorry. Mine and Harvey's marriage took place at a Justice of the Peace's residence and it was not a religious event. It was a civil ceremony that gave our partnership (of nearly 20 years at that time) a legal presence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, not sure I really understand those people who are so vehemently opposed to gay marriage. It doesn't affect them at all, so what's the issue? I'm not sure I believe in the idea of marriage, period. But I believe that everyone should be able to, if they want to. And I do believe that if Kevin and I ever do decide, that we should be able to just as much as a straight couple. And we can
default_biggrin.png
My sister married her wife two years ago and it was a beautiful ceremony. Don't worry, California. Hate, ignorance, and intolerance will not win
default_wink.png

Going through high school and college in the 60's and 70's I have always been a staunch supporter of equal rights for everyone. Everyone should be paid equal pay for equal work. Women should have the same rights as men. The color of someone's skin doesn't dictate the quality of one's inner being. What happens in the bedroom is no one's business but the people involved. We don't chose who we love, love chooses us. Loving, committed relationships should be celebrated and supported no matter the sex of the partners. We live in a hard world sometimes and all need love and support and the right to pursue whatever gives meaning to our lives without judgment or condemnation.

As a legally married (it's all semantics...in Oregon they call it "domestic partnership") lesbian, I also do not understand why some straight people oppose gay marriage. I am just living my life and if I didn't tell people, they would not know. I am just like them in my daily life. I am not taking away straight married couples rights; they are not losing anything by my being married.

As far as adopting babies as a gay couple and having your kids raised by same sex parents, my kids were raised (from ages 9 and 10) by my ex-wife and I and they accepted that and "turned out" OK...If anything, it makes them more tolerable of alternative lifestyles IMO.

I truly do not see why in the year 2009, we are STILL making these things such issues...*sigh*
default_wacko.png

Thank you everyone.
default_smile.png

You would think if people belive it's wrong to hate women, blacks, asians, ect they would learn that it's not ok to hate on gays either.

I think a big part of the problem is that there are A LOT of ignorant people who think that gay (or straight) is actually a choice vs. part of who you are
default_sad.png
I don't know if they think hard enough to reflect that they themselves (bigots) probably didn't choose to be straight
default_rolleyes.gif

I think a big part of the problem is that there are A LOT of ignorant people who think that gay (or straight) is actually a choice vs. part of who you are
default_sad.png
I don't know if they think hard enough to reflect that they themselves (bigots) probably didn't choose to be straight
default_rolleyes.gif

Exactly
default_biggrin.png

It all comes back to your worldview really. I get my worldview from the Bible, and obviously those who have posted before me in this thread do not. Do you know what I can't stand? I can't stand it when people make the assumption that if you are opposed to same sex marriage being legalized that you hate people involved in those types of relationships. That is not true at all. I feel no hatred toward people living in that kind of sinful lifestyle. We are all sinners so I might as well hate everybody if I am going to pick one sin to make people worthy of hate. No, my responsibility is to love everyone and hate sin. My responsibility is to pray for my nation and to stand up for the truth of God's Word. The Bible says that the nation whose God is the Lord will be blessed. God will judge a people who choose to have no regard for the rules He has put in place. As I see it, it is not really our job to define marriage. God already did that when He created Adam and Eve. It is up to us if we choose to agree with that definition that our Creator has put in place or not. I choose to agree with God on the issue. So, Matt, Linda, and others like you, I do not hate you, but neither do I think you should have the legal right to have a marriage.

While we are on the subject of "legalities", I have issues with those States who legally recognize "common law" marriage as a union (living otgether openly as if husband and wife with all the expectations and trappings of same) and the FEDS allow those people the same rights as a couple who "legally" married but, only in the States who recognize such. So, why should a couple be entitled to a government pension or different amount of a pension for living together unmarried in one state than they would by simply living together in another?????

Maybe this practice would be eliminated if same sex marriage were a "legal" happening!!

You're right, Bess. "Common law" marriage doesn't really seem fair. I must say that I don't think living together is right either. My sister did that before she got married and I was not happy about it. I didn't hate her for it though.

Oh, I also wanted to add, that I hope you look beyond the issue of same sex marriage when you think about the court upholding Prop. 8. I hope you can see that it would have been a scary thing if the court started deciding it didn't matter what the people voted on, what the state constitution now says, etc., they are going to follow their own personal views. I certainly do not want judges who have no regard for the people's vote and the constitution.

Thank you crponies, and everyone else who has looked at this thread.

default_smile.png

But has anyone thought of this?

Gay marriges could TOTALLY save the econamy!!
default_biggrin.png

It all comes back to your worldview really. I get my worldview from the Bible, and obviously those who have posted before me in this thread do not. Do you know what I can't stand? I can't stand it when people make the assumption that if you are opposed to same sex marriage being legalized that you hate people involved in those types of relationships. That is not true at all. I feel no hatred toward people living in that kind of sinful lifestyle. We are all sinners so I might as well hate everybody if I am going to pick one sin to make people worthy of hate. No, my responsibility is to love everyone and hate sin. My responsibility is to pray for my nation and to stand up for the truth of God's Word. The Bible says that the nation whose God is the Lord will be blessed. God will judge a people who choose to have no regard for the rules He has put in place. As I see it, it is not really our job to define marriage. God already did that when He created Adam and Eve. It is up to us if we choose to agree with that definition that our Creator has put in place or not. I choose to agree with God on the issue. So, Matt, Linda, and others like you, I do not hate you, but neither do I think you should have the legal right to have a marriage.
Marriage is a civil matter, with civil implications and consquences. It's not just a spiritual matter, and yet people constantly insist on interpreting it based on spiritual teachings! You have no idea how few rights you have as a "domestic partner". Marriage gives potent rights and protections under the law.

Western marriage actually started off as a strictly secular affair. It was a strictly secular affair until about the 7th century, when the budding Church, looking to expand its influence, started "blessing" unions and pushing the covenant of marriage. This isn't speculation. There's a lot of interesting stuff in early post-400AD church letters and the like. Marriage as a religious concept is actually rather new in the grandtime line of humanity. For most of our time here it's been a social & secular contract, with some religious trappings (such as asking fertility gods for their blessings and the like) But the idea of marriage as a covenant is fairly new.

Set aside your Bible for a moment. Where does it say, anywhere, that marriage must be between a man and a woman? No where. Only religious texts push the notion. There is no practical doctrine or evidence to cite beyond "It's just not natural" (what the heck does this mean? Is it like PETA who says humans keeping pets is unnatural? Keeping horses behind fences is unnatural?) or "It's not part of God's plan"

The United States has this really novel idea of "seperation of Church and State", so why do we have laws that are CLEARLY influenced by religious doctrine and nothing else? At least with the right-to-life debate you do have the compelling argument of "when does life actually begin", which is a troubling ethical & medical debate exclusive of religious doctrine.

Please show me where it says gay marriage clearly disturbs the fabric of society, clearly harms everyone involved and around it (and don't you dare cite some 900 Club BS or Church-funded BS paper or basically anything with a religious affiliation, unless you want to make my point for me, that is) and clearly should NOT be permitted based on objective facts, well-documented facts.

But, again, why do you care? If I am going to heck...God will decide that. If it's "wrong" for me to declare a beautiful bond with the person I love, why are you judging that? I just don't understand. Is God going to strike you down for not rallying against gay marriage? Are you trying to "save" our souls. Please...enlighten me. Is it insecurity? Are you just hedging your bets?

God is all for love and understanding and doing to others what you'd have done to you. Not judgement. Don't even get me started on the bible and it's many many interpretations
default_wacko.png
A marriage is not a biblical institution BTW (or doesnt' have to be). P.S. Thanks for not hating me
default_wink.png

Wow, Im not even sure what to say other than I am extremely offended. Not everyone has the same beliefs. Good for you, have your beliefs, but dont try to force your beliefs on my life. I usually don't post much but I am too saddened, hurt and offended to not say anything.

I personally find your post extremely narrow minded and offensive. I AM NOT religious. I know that my lifestyle is NOT a 'sin'. You say you live your life by the bible, but the bible says that no one sin is greater than another. Therefore, my choosing to be with another woman, as your religion perceives it, isn't any different of a sin then say. . . the girl down the road having sex before she is married. Yet, YOU are going to say that I can't get married, when according to your religion, my 'sin' isn't any different then pre-marital sex, yet you have no problem with those getting married. You can't pick and choose and manipulate the bible to fit your personal view.

I have no problem with you not supporting gay marriage, that is your right, but I do have a problem with your reasoning for it.

I also have a problem with, in the same sentence, you say you don't hate us, but you would deny us a simple freedom. You may as well spit in my face. That is pure discrimination. Go find a gay 'friend'. Walk up to them. Tell them you are their friend. . . then look in their face and tell them they are not equal to you, and aren't worthy of a basic freedom to be with the person they love.

Discrimination is HATE!

I personally find your post extremely narrow minded and offensive. I AM NOT religious. I know that my lifestyle is NOT a 'sin'. You say you live your life by the bible, but the bible says that no one sin is greater than another. Therefore, my choosing to be with another woman, as your religion perceives it, isn't any different of a sin then say. . . the girl down the road having sex before she is married. Yet, YOU are going to say that I can't get married, when according to your religion, my 'sin' isn't any different then pre-marital sex, yet you have no problem with those getting married. You can't pick and choose and manipulate the bible to fit your personal view.

I have no problem with you not supporting gay marriage, that is your right, but I do have a problem with your reasoning for it.

I also have a problem with, in the same sentence, you say you don't hate us, but you would deny us a simple freedom. You may as well spit in my face. That is pure discrimination. Go find a gay 'friend'. Walk up to them. Tell them you are their friend. . . then look in their face and tell them they are not equal to you, and aren't worthy of a basic freedom to be with the person they love.
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp

Prop 8: The musical (Starring Jack black)

I don't think Jayne is trying to force her beliefs...the original poster asked why, and she tried to answered why she doesn't agree with it. I don't know why everyone is surprised by her reasoning...obviously the majority feel similiar/same as her. And of course if she is going to defend her position, she is going to use her interpretation of the bible which is what she uses as a basis to lead her life.

I am not saying I agree with her because I don't , but to chastise her for her beliefs is no different than others chastising homosexuals, or anyone else for that matter, for thiers.

Latest posts

Back