LOTS of questions on Showing + Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi,

I would love to show my miniatures one day and also when I get a job I want to buy myself a cart and harness so I can drive
default_smile.png

I just have a lot questions on each I'd love if you could answer some, I don't mind If some cant be answered
default_smile.png
Also, I live in Australia so the rules may be different, but I don't mind if they aren't Australian rules and rules for where you show, any answers are great I just need a rough idea and these questions have been getting to me
default_smile.png
But there is this one question regarding to my future career,

Can you be a miniature show judge? Like as a job, do people get paid to judge miniatures at shows? My mum thinks they are only volunteers, If it is an actual job is it a good pay that could actually support me when I am older with a house ect, or is there not enough work and pay to accomplish that?

Is there any suggestions on jobs with animals, horses or agriculture and livestock?

Showing:

Is there a height limit of the horse?

Is it hard to place in competitions?

Is there anything you should teach your mini before any show?

Is braiding optional or compulsory does it help with judging?

How is it judged?

How long does a show go for?

Is there different categories if so what ones?

Is it all about your horses performance, or is it based on coat colours or both?

Do you have an audience?

Is the audience large?

Is it a MUST for your horse to be registered?

What If your mini is the tiniest bit too tall. Can he/she not be entered?

Does your horse have to have perfect conformation?

Is it off grass most the time?

If it is on grass and your horse tries to eat can you get judged lower for that?

Does your horses vaccinations have to be up to date?

What can you get marked down for?

What if your horses kick at each other or does that rarely happen?

Do their teeth get judged?

Do the judges to a full body check on your horse or just a visual judge?

Do you as a owner get judged?

Is showing fun?

Does it cost?

Do you only win ribbons, or can you win money?

How many ribbons can a horse win during one show?

Do many people leave a show winning nothing?

Do you need a show halter to show?

Are show halters expensive?

Do you dress your mini up?

Is it themed?

What requirements is there?

Is there requirements on the person showing the mini?

What should you wear?

What should you have on your mini. or nothing?

There is probably way more I could ask but I think I might stop there for those questions
default_smile.png
Now here is some on driving
default_smile.png

Can you make your own cart, or is it easier and safer for your horse to purchase one?

What material of harness is best, Leather nylon ect?

Is 2 wheels or 4 wheels best on a cart?

How much can a mini Pull?

How long can a mini walk for until he/she needs a water and rest break?

How long should you drive?

How long does it take to break a mini to a cart, Approx?

If you were going down hill, should you get off and help the mini so the cart doesn't hurt him/her or should you just avoid downhill all together?

To have 2 minis pulling at once do you need a different harness and cart?

Using 2 minis, is it harder to train?

Using 2 minis, is it more confusing for both the minis and the driver?

Using 2 minis, can they pull more weight?

Do you need to shoe your mini?

If a mini is full grown but little should you not use him/her?

How old does a mini have to be to drive?

How old should a mini stop driving, a healthy mini?

Is it hard work for the mini?

Do you need a crop or whip to get them to walk?

Should you not drive too often?

How much can you drive in say, a week?

Is driving safe?

If you were to get a harness should you get a professional to fit it, or just adjust yourself?

Yeah, I think thats it
default_smile.png
I also have these questions which are just personal opinion questions, Ill add images of each of my minis and if you like you can say your opinion on what one you think would be best for showing or driving, just something different
default_smile.png

Kevin, 11 month old colt, Silver black tobiano
default_smile.png

Toby, 1 year and 8 month colt, Palomino Tobiano

Snickas, 3 years and 9 month old filly colour unsure
default_smile.png

Willow, 15 year old mare, Silver taffy. Used to be shown (Won' t let me upload)

Thank you so much if you could answer any of these questions! Again, I don' t mind if the rules aren't Australian rules
default_smile.png

Awesome questions! I will answer some (ones I feel qualified to answer!) and hopefully others will add to this!

Showing: I couldn't tell you about what judges are paid, but I would strongly suspect that you would need to have another job to pay the bills.

Some shows (usually the small, local ones) don't require minis to be registered but I think they all require that they are no taller than 38 inches to the last hair of the mane (rather than the wither as most horses are measured). Most bigger shows are for registered horses. In the USA these are commonly AMHA and AMHR, but I don't know about Australia. Small shows often just have ribbons and sometimes small prizes or trophies, while really big shows can have many other prizes (I've never been to one of those shows!). Every show I've seen has entry fees, and the big shows can be quite expensive, but the small local shows are pretty reasonable if you just sign up for a few classes. I would suggest that you try and find a mini horse club in your area and attend one of their shows, or if there isn't a club, see if any of the shows offer classes just for minis.

Some classes are about conformation and color. Performance classes (like jumping and obstacle/trail) are only judged on the performance of the horse. Many shows do have costume classes.

Driving: I would recommend that you work with an experienced person if you are planning to train your horses to drive. It is a lot of fun, but can be very dangerous if you don't know how to hitch properly or if your horse isn't well trained. The best way to start is training without the cart (ground driving or long lining). If you have no one to help, at least make sure you watch a lot of videos and/or read about it.

Most people like leather harnesses, as they can be cut in an emergency if your horse gets into a dangerous tangled mess. 2 wheeled carts are a safer starting cart, and are generally lighter. A pair or team has a different set up on their harness and is attached to the cart or wagon differently (you can look at some pictures or driving videos online).

Most people don't drive until their horse is 3, but as long as the horse is healthy he or she can continue to drive for as long as they live. Weight: They are quite strong and can pull more than their own weight (usually 2 times their weight is the upper limit on a flat surface) but keep in mind that you must include the weight of the cart with the weight of the people in the cart. A well balanced cart will be a lot easier for them to pull. I suppose you could make a cart if you are very skilled, but I think it would be better to purchase a cart. Some of the homemade/put together ones I've seen are very heavy and not well balanced.

I hope this helps get you started!

Oh, and how much to drive? Once your horse is used to driving and is in good shape (and, obviously, healthy), you should be able to drive about as often as you want. Just work him/her up to it slowly.

My answers are based on 24 years around horses and 6+ years around minis

Showing:

Is there a height limit of the horse? For AMHA 34 inches, AMHR 38 inches.

Is it hard to place in competitions? For the shows I do no because there is usually less than 7 people in the class so everyone gets a ribbon. Always winning a blue is hard and it takes a while before you win championship titles.

Is there anything you should teach your mini before any show? YES!! Basics include manners, leading, standing still, trotting on command and any additional skills based on the class.

Is braiding optional or compulsory does it help with judging? Braiding is only for hunter classes at rated shows.

How is it judged? Depends on the class

How long does a show go for? Too long (in my opinion) usually all day 10-5, depending on size of the classes and how its managed

Is there different categories if so what ones? Halter and Performance are the main 2

Is it all about your horses performance, or is it based on coat colours or both? Depends on the class

Do you have an audience? Not usually too big, normally just family/friends

Is the audience large?

Is it a MUST for your horse to be registered? Only if the show requires it, not always

What If your mini is the tiniest bit too tall. Can he/she not be entered? For a registered show, No

Does your horse have to have perfect conformation? No horse is 100% perfect, but the closer to perfect the better

Is it off grass most the time? Usually the show is in a dirt/sand arena

If it is on grass and your horse tries to eat can you get judged lower for that? Yes

Does your horses vaccinations have to be up to date? Most shows only require a negative coggins but it is best to have vaccinations up to date.

What can you get marked down for? Too many things too list

What if your horses kick at each other or does that rarely happen?

Do their teeth get judged? If a mare or stallion, usually only in rated (registered shows)

Do the judges to a full body check on your horse or just a visual judge?

Do you as a owner get judged? Yes, especially showmanship

Is showing fun? Yes, but it does have its ups and downs....its a long day, lots of stress and preparation

Does it cost? A LOT!! You can save money, but it isn't what I would call a cheap hobby

Do you only win ribbons, or can you win money? Usually only ribbons

How many ribbons can a horse win during one show? Depends on how many classes you enter and how you do

Do many people leave a show winning nothing?

Do you need a show halter to show? No, but you do need a nice clean, halter

Are show halters expensive? Yes, average $100-$150

Do you dress your mini up? Only in costume classes

Is it themed? Usually not

There is probably way more I could ask but I think I might stop there for those questions
default_smile.png
Now here is some on driving
default_smile.png

Can you make your own cart, or is it easier and safer for your horse to purchase one? Best to buy a good quality one

What material of harness is best, Leather nylon ect? Do NOT buy a nylon harness!!! They are poor quality.

Is 2 wheels or 4 wheels best on a cart? 2 wheels

How old does a mini have to be to drive? 3 is best

Do you need a crop or whip to get them to walk? They should do it on there only, but you should always carry one in case

Should you not drive too often? Yes, horse can get sour. Just like exercise there are limits on a body.

How much can you drive in say, a week?

Is driving safe? Normally yes, but can be dangerous

Last edited by a moderator:
Where abouts in Australia are you located? Whilst I don't show minis, I might be able to put you onto someone that was a Queensland and Victorian delegate for AMHS.
default_smile.png

Where abouts in Australia are you located? Whilst I don't show minis, I might be able to put you onto someone that was a Queensland and Victorian delegate for AMHS.
default_smile.png
I am from Queensland, That would be really helpful thank you
default_smile.png

Also, thank you everyone for the great answers!

Also, here is the answers from an irish/british perspective.

Is there a height limit of the horse? For BMHS/AMHA 34 inches, AMHR 38 inches but there are not many over 34" classes.

Is it hard to place in competitions? It depends on the quality of the animal you have and the competition. At small local shows there may be only one person in the class, or for example a solid class my have a solid black and a dun, a black should win because it is more solid (providing it has an even black colour and is not faded )

Is there anything you should teach your mini before any show? Standing still in a presentation is important. I like minis striding out independently of the handler - i don't like to feel like i am having to drag them.

Is braiding optional or compulsory does it help with judging? I have never seen it in the UK/Ireland.

How is it judged? Depends on the class, but most of the time the conformation and behaviour and presence are what wins. I have had a judge say to me "i would give him a 1st but he doesn't look happy" (from it being rainy and his ears were back cause he was fresh clipped and cold) also condition, i have had one put down a place for being too fat.

How long does a show go for? Here its usually 9-1 but the supreme can be with all the other classes and around 5-6

Is there different categories if so what ones? There is mare, gelding, stallion, yearling, 2yo, 3yo, veteran, colour, show horse, other.

Is it all about your horses performance, or is it based on coat colours or both? Depends on the class, but mostly your horses performance, conformation and turnout.

Do you have an audience? There is not usually a huge crowd, however i have had people who have stopped me on my way to the ring to chat and they have followed me to the ring to watch.

Is the audience large? Re above.

Is it a MUST for your horse to be registered? I have never NEEDED a reg horse but the bigger shows that need to be qualified for need registered horses.

What If your mini is the tiniest bit too tall. Can he/she not be entered? Depends on the class. Some have over 38" but most do not, so if the horse is obviously over the judge may disqualify them.

Does your horse have to have perfect conformation? It must have as good conformation as possible, otherwise there is no point showing. If there are VERY obvious faults you wont get too far.

Is it off grass most the time? 90% of shows here in uk/ire are on grass. Bigger qualifiers have sand arenas.

If it is on grass and your horse tries to eat can you get judged lower for that? Yes, this is where good training comes in. You should not get marked down if you are picking at the grass and feeding it to your horse to keep its attention on you.

Does your horses vaccinations have to be up to date? I have never been checked, and believe that vaccines are something each owner should look into in detail for themselves.

What can you get marked down for? Bad conformation, bad behaviour, bad showmanship, poor turnout

What if your horses kick at each other or does that rarely happen? IT happens regularly, but you learn to be bold and tell people to stay away. I have had people intentionally bring stallions up to my mares ends to make them kick out, or back a stallion up so my gelding will "get away" - you just have to be bold and a step ahead

Do their teeth get judged? More so in higher judged classes, but depends on the judge.

Do the judges to a full body check on your horse or just a visual judge? Judges should never touch your horse at all. They will ask you to show the teeth (use a for finger and thumb to open the lips) or ask you to move the tail. They won't lay hands on your horse.

Do you as a owner get judged? Yes, your personal appearance and demeanour will be watched. Always dress respectfully and pay attention to the show class at ALL times, they can notice you outside the ring too. Be attentive to your horse when showing, but always look to the judge every 20seconds or so so they know you are attentive.

Is showing fun? I love it. I love the rush. I went through a stage of "why am i not winning anything, i have a good horse" but upon reflection i was tense and stiff, making my horse tense and stiff. This year i have gone out with a totally different attitude and its clearly paid off.

Does it cost? Its usually £10 a class (approx $20) so on top of the fuel, shampoos, rugs, feed, hoof enhancers etc...yeah it is not cheap

Do you only win ribbons, or can you win money? The majority of the shows i have been at are ribbons and cups/shields but some have prizes and money too. If you show a stallion it works in your favour because people want to breed to a winner.

How many ribbons can a horse win during one show? Depends on how many horses you have and how many classes you enter. One horse will not be eligible for EVERY class. (and generally they fade and get fed up after about 4 or 5 runs)

Do many people leave a show winning nothing? Some very small local shows have only one in a class, they generally get the 1st but in a larger class some can leave with nothing.

Do you need a show halter to show? I would always want to see one.

Are show halters expensive? eBay or Facebook is your friend.

Do you dress your mini up? In costume classes. I have not participated in one yet.

Is it themed? Sometimes. I have been at shows with a "disney" or a "royal" theme

Can you make your own cart, or is it easier and safer for your horse to purchase one? It costs more to make one than to buy one. I have the tools, material, knowledge and time to build one but buying one was better!

What material of harness is best, Leather nylon ect? I like leather, but i use nylon reins as they are more pliable and i like to keep the leather ones nice.

Is 2 wheels or 4 wheels best on a cart? Depends what you are doing. Show classes are two wheels, trials are more 4 wheels

How old does a mini have to be to drive? I would never break any horse until it is 4 or over.

Do you need a crop or whip to get them to walk? You should use your voice, but if they don't respond use the whip but at the same time make the noise. Noises must be consistent.

Should you not drive too often? Same with ridden horses, they can go dead to the action. 3 times a week is more than enough to keep them going, the other days can be other activities.

How much can you drive in say, a week? As above, 3

Is driving safe? Normally Generally yes, due to their size they don't to much damage and are easy to control.

I can answer some of these driving questions!!

Can you make your own cart, or is it easier and safer for your horse to purchase one? I have some welding experience but I'm not mechanically inclined and have lots of other projects to work on and over 20 head of ponies that I now care for by myself + currently working outside the home 30+ hours a week about a 1/2 hours drive away. I wouldn't even consider taking the time to understand the mechanics of building one (especially a cart - where balance is so important). I purchase what I want and I even pay to have mine stripped/repainted/serviced - easier and less stressful for me.

What material of harness is best, Leather nylon ect? What ever you feel you like and can afford. In my situation, most of our harness is NOT leather - I can't keep it nice. It molds & mildews fast here in our NC humidity and haze. I do have two leather harnesses which I keep in the house - not out in the barns or sheds. I love a GOOD nylon or betathane harness. I've even made parts of a harness - when I had time and fewer ponies and the girls were still at home and did some of the chores and I didn't have a truck - so anytime I went to pick up hay or took ponies somewhere - someone else was driving and I had time to braid. Here's a couple of pictures of what is still usable harness for training - braided from re-cycled haystring in 2009 & 2010! It's not fancy, but it sure did/does work. It can also be washed/hosed off right with the sweaty pony. I do have close ups of different parts of the harness... Different styles of braiding are used for different parts.

10aug15bi16.jpg

Is 2 wheels or 4 wheels best on a cart? A cart has two wheels. A wagon, buggy or carriage has 4. There are many different styles of wheels/tires for any of these vehicles.

How much can a mini Pull? I think it varies. Based on weight, it's said that a mini can pull up to 2-5 times it's weight. But soooo many variables - type of harness, type of vehicle, type of terrain, actual build of horse to type of pulling he is doing and what condition he is in. Believe it or not - also - HOW MUCH HE THINKS HE CAN... (figure that one out, LOL).

How long can a mini walk for until he/she needs a water and rest break? Again VARIES. Depends on horse, weather and amount of work and whether that horse is used to drinking at specific times. I've had some work outside and stand tied in the sun to the trailer (I try to provide shade and one of the goals is to get a roll out tarp attached to the trailer) still not drink until I've hosed them off and then offered water at the end of the day. I feed wet and if I have one that i'm concerned about, I will feed a little feed to them when I'm away from home - very soupy. I will also syringe water directly into their mouth if needed. I've never had to have a vet take care of one that's not drinking... If it's high humidity here - now matter how well conditioned my horses are - they need a break sooner that lasts longer.

How long should you drive? See answer above. I have taken ponies to events where they were driven several hours in the morning, had a break w/ water while we did lunch (buffett style) and then did more driving in the afternoon - for up to several more hours.

How long does it take to break a mini to a cart, Approx? I've been told as short as 30 days. Mine have taken anywhere from 90 days to 6 months to get going well in the basics (not solid dressage type responses or show driving) - but I'm not a pro-trainer and that's not working everyday. Also, I've changed out some of our horses - as some weren't of an easy personality for me to work with while starting/training myself.

If you were going down hill, should you get off and help the mini so the cart doesn't hurt him/her or should you just avoid downhill all together? I don't drive small minis and I've not had any problems. I don't drive on a mountain side either! No 'Man from Snowy River" stunts while hitched - though I HAVE done that while riding!!

To have 2 minis pulling at once do you need a different harness and cart? Yes.

Using 2 minis, is it harder to train? Longer, not harder - first start training both as a single driving horse, than they work as a pair. I love working my pairs!

Using 2 minis, is it more confusing for both the minis and the driver? NO. You do need to decide what commands you will be using and become consistent - while starting their ground work single. My ponies learn their names and I can "cue" one by prefacing a command with their name. I also use "girls" or "ponies" as a preface when I want them to do something together - such as starting or stopping.

Using 2 minis, can they pull more weight? YES

Do you need to shoe your mini? I don't, haven't needed to for any reason. BUT I could see some ponies/minis needing shoes for either specifics in showing or for the comfort of their hooves.

If a mini is full grown but little should you not use him/her? Subjective - there are many people in the driving section of this forum that use TINY horses. I have small shetlands that average about 40" in height AT THE WITHERS NOT THE LAST HAIR OF THE MANE with a couple being smaller and 5 now being over 42". I don't have any experience with the TINY ones.

How old does a mini have to be to drive? We start ground work at birth and have "ground driven" weanlings wearing harness - this is controversial for many on these forums. I find it is easier for the horse AND for me - especially when I am working alone all the time now. This colt is 5 1/2 months old, 1/2 shetland, and 41 3/4" tall. He is wearing a bit, but the lines aren't hooked to it.

11sep18com095.jpg

11sep18com124.jpg

This colt is 10 months old - note he is not wearing a bridle at all and only a training surcingle and driving lines hooked to his halter.

10apr27kr206.jpg

How old should a mini stop driving, a healthy mini? Can he still walk? Can he still hear his name and/or feel the lines? My first pair since really getting into the driving were 17 & 18 yrs old - one wasn't even halter trained yet (no basics and no manners). They are both still driving at 23 & 24 yrs of age. One is now "missing" an eye and does better as a pair or 3 abreast than by herself.

Is it hard work for the mini? It can be. AGAIN it is subjective. This pair is in shape. This disk is meant to be pulled by a pair of 2,000 lb (ea) draft horses. These two mares together don't make 1,000 lbs and I'm over 250 here - have no idea how heavy the disk is but 'ain't light'... The plowing HAD been done and it's wet and DEEP. This was done on a dare (... ''...them thar minis can't pull nothin' ... chaw/spit...!) First they had to "un-stick" it from the weeds and mud it was caught in. They pulled it more than 1/2 a mile on hard pack road & pavement just to get to the field, then along the edge where it's still firm to the end (another 1/2 mile), then into the field. They did one whole row from the rear to the front & back to the rear, turned around and they were "failing" - I moved them out of the field at that point - they had to pull the disk on the firm edge the rest of the way along the edge of the field, then on the road back to where I'd hooked them to the disk. They WERE tired when they were returned to the trailer but not so much so as to be colicy or sore. Could they last all day - like the draft horses can? NO. BUT they did this and they still DO - on a smaller scale and for shorter times. I don't own a disk this size - but I've offered several times to purchase this one... After doing that "pull", it's much easier for them to pull the smaller one now!!

11apr16ncwhma932.jpg

11apr9bebi690.jpg

Do you need a crop or whip to get them to walk? Certain venues require a driving whip. Personally - you don't have your legs or butt for cues and weight shifts so the whip is an AID that is used. It's best to use one right from the start of your driving career and accustom yourself to using it and your horse to "feeling it" as a CUE. *** You are not "whipping" the horse***

Should you not drive too often? What is too often?? Most people don't drive often enough in today's society to get their horses properly conditioned for the weekend "Jaunts" that they take... or to get the horse properly trained.

How much can you drive in say, a week? I'd say up to 6 days a week. When I was handling "babies" or "greenies" - I often ground drove them 2x a day (for up to an hour ea. The younger they were - the shorter the session) at least 4 days in a row. Yes, again, condition, condition, condition. IF your horse is visibly tired, visibly not feeling well or is grouchy due to soreness - then by all means - GIVE HIM A BREAK!

Is driving safe? Actually, driving is considered one of the more dangerous things to do with a horse. There are many ways to practice safety, but it IS NOT the safest sport or equine activity.

If you were to get a harness should you get a professional to fit it, or just adjust yourself? A pro first is wonderful! But anytime your horse's shape changes (
default_new_shocked.gif
), you will need to make adjustments. This is for muscle changes as it builds up and fat tissue is lost where the harness is sitting, "round ness" after getting time off - say for winter, winter hair can create several inches of size adjustments. It's always a good thing to UNDERSTAND how and why your harness works and now how to make adjustments as needed - when needed. It never hurts to ask for help!!

I LOVE DRIVING. I have taken up "farm style" driving - our shetlands pull single, pair & 3 abreast. I'd started training them 4 abreast for some specific farm implement use - but then sold one mare, had some health issues and have since moved. We are still putting up fence, putting up buildings, working on the house, yard and chicken pens and I haven't driven ANYONE since last October. I'm starting to get "twitchy" with missing the driving and REALLY want to hook someone this weekend!

When we went to some of the events in 2012, I hauled the two foals w/ two of my mares that I was driving. I'd work one mare w/ foal and a partner in the morning, then the 2nd mare w/ foal and the same partner in the afternoon... We often had the "teamsters" that were driving offer to carry the foals (on one drive, the foal was only 3 weeks old!) - so they wouldn't get too tired. Those foals were still kicking up their heels - and we went around some of the wagons and carriages to do extended trot & canter work with the foals going too... Can't attach any more pics to this post - so will attach a few to the next one...

Here's some pics of the two foals at events with their 'momma's" ... The one is a year after the plowing pic - yes - when pulling that disk, Bell WAS PREGNANT... She was also hitched the first time to a single cart about 10 days before she foaled in 2010!

12apr21ncwhma570.jpg

12apr21ncwhma576.jpg

Hit several other events before the pair was weaned - but don't have any other pictures. Even went trail driving one weekend and did a 3 abreast hitch and turned the two fillies loose to run alongside! That got interesting!! To keep them with their moms when we came back thru past the campgrounds which was now filled w/ a church group, I collected up the mares, held them for a moment and then we swung into a controlled GALLOP. IT was like chariot racing w/o the chariots - and worked a charm to bring the girls back to their dam's sides away from the people who'd never seen any ponies!!

This cart is a Pioneer Forecart and isn't meant to be driven w/o a farm implement attached. I've been "chewed out" about it a lot... But I've learned to move forward and back to balance the cart and it has worked GREAT for training my pairs. It's a Haflinger sized cart w/ a pony sized tongue on it. If I had to do it again, I'd have purchased the pony sized cart - I haven't used this one w/ any larger sized ponies and it does make a difference in weight, width & length.

Driving Bell single - 1st hitch!

2010May28beM027.jpg

Driving Flower for the first time alone, at home and in the sulky cart. New harness w/ shaped breast collar and cart has a single tree and heavy duty, no air tires as well as new shafts. Same cart as above - just refurbished!

13apr26flo676.jpg

Some of the other things we've done with our shetlands -

Hauling manure to the compost pile

09feb14Stuf250.jpg

pull limbs of trees to burn pile from the back of the property - this is before getting the collars/hames - new farm harness.

11Feb26bebi410.jpg

More things we've done with the ponies - this is Bell and Cassie pulling a log

13mar13beca862.jpg

Cupid and KoKo pulling some smaller limbs to the burn pile

13aug30cuKo030.jpg

Cassie and Bell pulling a large limb to the burn pile

13jul23tre456.jpg

Here is Bell & GG "driving" in 2010

10aug3be826.jpg

and now GG is officially driving in 2013 & 2014

13mar21begg919a.jpg

14oct25church461.jpg

Remember that 10 month old "gold" colt in 2010? He is Bell's son and is now owned by my girlfriend (who owns several ponies from us now). He is officially driving too -

pulling a chain link drag w/ his partner "Eclipse"

061312-141.jpg

pulling a pair of ATV disks hooked together...

061312-156.jpg

pulling my spring tooth harrow with crumbler attachment attached

14mar15harrow44.jpg

You can see they are REALLY working here AND the way it looks before and after the harrow has gone thru ...

14mar15harrow74.jpg

and here is her pair with the stalk cutter - if we are going to use this we will need to go with a 4 abreast team as it's really two heavy for just a pair.

14feb7dhorsep772.jpg

13may4ncwhma688.jpg

Have you ever considered entering an online miniature horse show? They can be really fun! They are great for people who don't have transportation for their horse or are just a little nervous about going to real shows. They are affordable and easy to enter. You simply video your horse completing the course and send it to the judge.

Do you have Instagram? My Instagram name is @erickson_miniature_horses and I host many online miniature horse shows! I am currently hosting Showmanship, Halter, and Jumping shows. There are also some online miniature horse show groups on Facebook. You should check them out!
default_smile.png

Anna - I wouldn't mind checking some of those out but I'm not on instagram and I must be searching wrong in FB, too. All I get is mentions/pages of actual horse shows you need to be present at.

when i googled it, i got amha. then aspc/amhr then other web sites...

Have you ever considered entering an online miniature horse show? They can be really fun! They are great for people who don't have transportation for their horse or are just a little nervous about going to real shows. They are affordable and easy to enter. You simply video your horse completing the course and send it to the judge.

Do you have Instagram? My Instagram name is @erickson_miniature_horses and I host many online miniature horse shows! I am currently hosting Showmanship, Halter, and Jumping shows. There are also some online miniature horse show groups on Facebook. You should check them out!
default_smile.png
This sounds fantastic! I do have Instagram and facebook
default_smile.png

Its hard for me to transport my miniatures because one, my float needs to be fixed and two you need a 'tick permit' to travel your horse which can be quiet expensive. I am also nervous to enter real shows.
default_smile.png
So now I have some more questions for you!

Does it cost to enter online shows?

How does it work?

Do you do it from home or do you have to go somewhere to complete the course?

If its from home do you have to build your own course?

Also if its from home, say if you were entering in a jumping competition can you use your home made jumps or do you need to purchase proper ones?\

Do you still win ribbons like real shows or not?

Is it a worldwide type thing can I do it from Australia?

Does your horse still need to be registered?

Is there a height limit?

Do people view your entries/videos of you doing the course?

How long does it take?

I really like the sound of these online shows and I would love to try them out
default_smile.png
Thank you so much for telling me about this!

I’m glad you are interested in online shows! I hope you enter some of mine!
default_smile.png
What’s your Instagram name? Here are some answers to your questions.

1. Some online shows cost about $2 to enter, this is so they can buy ribbons for the winners, but Instagram shows are free to enter.

2. You video you and your horse competing the course (jumping, obstacle, halter, etc.) and send it to the judge.

3. You can do it from your own home, your backyard, your arena, anywhere.

4. Most shows have a course layout and you follow the instructions to build it.

5. Most shows allow you to jump over anything that is collapsible and safe for the horse.

6. Usually if you had to pay an entry fee you win ribbons.

7. Most online shows are international.

8. No, you don't really have any way to prove it. Even if you took a pic of the registrations papers, without seeing them in real life you couldn't tell if they were fake and if that was the right horse. So for most online shows they don't have to registered.

9. Usually its separated into different height divisions.

10. Some shows allow you to to see who are competing against and some don’t.

11. A lot less time than going to a real show! ;)

Latest posts

Back