Lots of PUPPY News!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I guess I'll start with my official introduction of "Monkey". Awhile back I posted, asking about early neutering of male pups, but cannot remember if I actually introduced him or not. He was born August 1, 2009 and I got him on October 9. We went out west visiting relatives for about 10 days, and before I got back home, I had him neutered. He was 12 weeks less a day, which is the youngest I have ever had a pup done. All went well, other than the pain from having his dewclaws removed at the same time. I wished I had not put him through that AFTER the fact, but obviously by then, it was too late. I think the stitches were just in too tight though, as one they came out, he was so much better, almost immediately. I am glad I had him neutered so young, as my young female Chihuahua girl is just now in her first heat, and he has been "trying" like crazy! So here is "Monkey", our little Chinese Crested/Chihuahua cross. He's expected to mature about 5.5 lbs. He already has me sooo head over heels in love with him! I used to cringe at these little hairless creatures and the more I saw of them, the more they appealed to me, and now I have been taken over by one! He is such a character, that even my Mom and sister who said he was ugly and wouldn't like him have fallen for him too. Once you see his personality shining through, you just can't help but love the little boy! It's funny because so many people are so afraid to say he's ugly, and I know they are thinking it. I just tell them "Go ahead...I won;t be offended."
default_biggrin.png
He already had a visit in the nursing home out west too, and was a hit there with the residents and staff. I truely feel like I have another baby now...I wrap him in his fuzzy blankie and carry him around, or let him snuggle up in it on my lap. Can't help but look at him and smile, like I am just soooooo full of love for him.
default_wub.png
To see more of Monkey, CLICK HERE to visit his web page.

This was him just after we got him home...

monkeymain.jpg
6.jpg

And like all babies, they are so cute when they are sleeping...
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

15.jpg

My Dad spoiling him (and fell totally in love with him) while we were out west...

monkeydad.jpg

Here he is telling Abby..."OK, OK, I give up!"

i_surrender.jpg

Soaking up some sun...

window3.jpg
window5.jpg

Now for the rest of my puppy news...my 3.5 year old Chihuahua "Laci" had her first litter of pups on November 11. She had to have a c-section as the pups were just waaaay to large, each weighing in at about 5 oz. She had TOTALLY rejected them and I had to play mommy to them, feeding them and stimulating them to urinate and defecate for a full 2 days! I swore she was never going to accept them...the way it was, the further away she was from them, the better off she was! FINALLY, yesterday morning was the breakthrough, and I was never more relieved! I have had dogs have c-sections (on first or other litters) in the past, and even though I have read about it, it has NEVER happened to me. This was my first litter after "getting back into Chihuahuas", after a "many years break"! The experience was almost enough to bring me back to my senses and kick me out again! LOL!
default_laugh.png

They are doing well I think...they are very content, not crying at all, yet have not gained back their original weight loss. Laci still had hardly any milk to speak of, even after giving her 2 shots of oxytocin the day after she whelped. I just don't know what else I can do. I am being very cautious, and watching them guardedly, to ensure they do not "crash". I am hoping as time goes on, she will produce more milk, and at the same time, and so thankful she never had a larger litter, or they never would have gotten enough milk from her! Just the teo of them seem to be pushing the limits!! So anyway, here are my two new little girls...both are so beautifully marked!! I can't wait to see them when they are 8 weeks old! I still don't know if they will be long coats or short coats...time will tell. Dad is a long, Mom is a short. They kind of look short, yet (especially the chocolate) they seem to have the ridge down their back whcih is a sign they will be long coats. One is a black and white, and the other a chocolate tri.

laciandbabes.jpg

pair2.jpg

blacktri2.jpg
choctri2.jpg

Your puppies are sooo sweet. I used to raise Yorkies and had a female die after having a c-section. I raised the 2 puppies with a bottle. I would start feeding and set the clock for 2 hours later. I was on an every 2 hour schedule with them. I remember one night at about 2am that I tried to stretch them out to 3 hours between feedings and they were so hungery that they were sucking their little toungs up to the roof of their mouths. I am sitting there so exhosted and crying because I could not get them to eat. I am crying. They are crying and my ex (wasn't ex at the time) came in and asked me what was wrong and I told him they wouldn't eat. He took them out of my hands and told me to get some sleep. He fed them then and the next feeding. I took it back up from there and we did fine. I really do not miss raising dogs.

OMG Monkey is absolutely adorable. I can't wait to see the babies grow. You will have to keep us updated with pictures. Chi's are my favorite of small dogs.

Oh my gosh that Monkey is the cutest thing!!!!! Those ears! I can see why it was love at first sight!

Bonnie

I adore Monkey, that is the cutest face and personality! Congrats on the babies, SO cute!

Oh my goodness how can that face not melt your heart hehehehe....and those sleeping pics hehehe what can I say =
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

OMG! :
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
Monkey is just too freakin' cute. And some of those pictures just made me laugh! What a HAM!

So glad that all seems to be resolved with Laci and you can get some well needed rest! Can't wait to see those babies in a week or so. More cuteness! I don't know how you can stand it!
default_laugh.png

OMG! Monkey looks like a little alien!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png
I imagine he minds the cold...here I thought my Min Pin had short hair and needed blankets to go out in the cold!!

Cannot wait to see the pups up on there legs and running around.
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone for looking and your comments.
default_laugh.png
Sue, when I got him, I had fully planned to housebreak him to papers in the house for the winter as I was sure he could not handle the winter. Then a friend of mine that used to raise and show them, that doesn't live far from here (about 4 hours drive) told me they are hardier than we give them credit for, and that hers actually went outside to do their business all winter long, and most without coats! Of course it was just in and out, but that's all one can ask for. For this year, until he is actually housetrained, I did pull a small calf hut up close to the house so it will be a little shelter for him throughout his first winter. And yes, I must admit, I have been shopping for him too...now if only he'd grow into all the stuff I bought!!

Mona, that 'Monkey' is just a little DOLL!! Just look at those EARS...
default_smile.png
!!

The Chi puppies are going to be adorable, too; hope all continues to go well now that mom has accepted them.

I'm glad it's you and not me...been there, done that on the problems w/ pups. Lost three of five of the first bitch I ever 'consciously' bred(once, before that, a little 'mutt'-half Scottie, half traveling salesman, that we'd gotten from our dentist's family out in rural Socorro county, had caught me off guard, entered puberty and had a 'fling' w/ the neighbors' entire mini Schnauzer--darling pups, found homes easily, mom got spayed right then!)...an oversized Yorkie.She survived, got spayed...but it was a heartrending experience. Later, I tried breeding a nice typey and not-too-tiny Chi female. She had only two pups also; due to bad advice from my then-vet, she had to have a C-section...the larger of the two had gotten stuck in the birth canal, was lost; the smaller did survive. I had the 'other' local vet, who I had to rush to early in the AM, go ahead and spay her while doing the C-section. She then rejected the lone remaining pup! I managed to keep her going until I could at least get the mom to nurse her, but she never really 'mothered' her. We kept the pup, of course-it was the reason we bred her to begin with---to have another Chi or two ourselves--so in that respect, it worked out!

Years later, I did breed my Schipperke a couple of times. She was a great and correct little dog, and all went well(what a relief!), but I had her spayed after that.We also kept one of those pups, got really good family homes for the others.

Keep the pics and the updates coming on all three pups; LOVE seeing and hearing about them! Now, if you could just supply us with the scent of 'puppy breath', vicariously!!

Margo

Awww, what a cutie your little Monkey is... and those little ones and Laci are just precious too!

Mona, well you know I have a big grin all over my face!! What a precious little diddle you have there
default_wub.png
I can see why you are so smitten in love! Your story left me remembering back when I bred Lhasas a few times and my female had 10 puppies. I was helping her by bottle feeding and also massaging baby butts to encourage bowel movements etc.... It was awesome. Good luck with your little ones. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing many more puppy pictures!!
default_thumbup.gif
default_laugh.png

Oh my goodness Mona - Monkey is SO SO adorable. Melts my heart.

Your new Chihuahua pups are very cute also. I'm sorry that mama had so much trouble. Please post lots of photos as they grow. I am a huge chihuahua fan now since Henry joined our family. He truly is one of the best dogs we have ever had.

good luck with your pups.I raised German Shepherds for many years(same line for 42 years)and saved numerous pups by feeding them plain unflavored yogurt(the kind with acidophilus)and honey.It is very good for digestive tracts.Just be sure it is warm.The honey gives them a sugar boost.Hope your bitch gets more milk.Hand raising is not fun, but puppies are so much fun.I am no longer breeding, but a friend breeds Cardigan Welsh Corgis so I get a Puppy fix once in a while.The best present anyone could ever give me is a puppy next best is a foal.

Monkey is absolutely ADORABLE! He made me laugh (in a good way) and just go AWWWE!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_wub.png
BUT...... Since I'm actually researching the Chihuahua breed for my next baby.... I have to say your pups win for me. They are so dang cute! Congratulations on all the great puppy news!!

HOw precious..........I love him. They are the cutest things. Your other two pups look like two of my toy aussies that were in my last litter. They were about that size too......

I love those ears! And what is that a mohawk running up the middle of his cute little head? Adorable, I had to go back several times and look again, each time with a grin on my face.

Oh my gosh, I love Monkey
default_wub.png
And that little tri Chi...
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
I feel you for on the puppy raising - I had to bottle feed 9 pups once AND I was nursing a 4 month old baby at the time - I felt like a milk factory!! I constantly had bottles in one hand feeding puppies and a baby.. well... attached you know where
default_laugh.png

Oh my gosh Mona...when you mentioned your little guy, I had NO idea that he'd be sooooo cute! You're right, I've never been fond of the hairless breed (or any small dog for that matter) but since I've had Teddy, I'm hooked on the small ones! The little ones are adorable too.
default_wub.png

I was thinking about getting Teddy's dewclaws done when he gets neutered. Is that a bad idea? I've never done it before.
default_unsure.png

I've got to ask...where did you get Monkey's little Indian blanket?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back