Lost our first foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry. That's horrible
no.gif
You made the right choice. I agree....once a dog does something like that who knows if they will go after other animals or children.

Im very sorry , what an awful thing for you to deal with -a very difficult situation

Truly a horrific situation and a tough decision...So sorry for your losses. Hugs to you!

I am sorry for you loss. We had a dog chew up one of our babies, If I hadn't been there he would have been killed. She was not mine but was put down. She was not mine. It was horrible and I am so sorry you had to go through this
default_no.gif
Some dogs just have a very high prey drive and that is not safe around minis. So sorry for your loss.

Oh Dawn I'm so sorry. How devastating. I would have done the same thing in your situation. Not only did you prevent this from happening again to you but you prevented other possible negative situations involving the dog from occurring. I'm sure it was tough, but the right choice. Keep your chin up. I hope the rest of the foaling season goes much better.

I am sorry BUT that was your responsibility to make sure NOTHING can get to your mare foaling. Not to have feelings for your dog that just did what a dog will do if given the chance toooo. I feel it went from BAD to Worse in this situation and I feel for yhe animals as they do not have a say.

Kris

default_new_shocked.gif
way to make her feel like crap Kris! geeze!
default_no.gif

IMO, a domestic dog that does that needs to be euthed. i feel the op did the right thing. how long would it have been before the dog moved on to other animals, or worse, children? and this was their FIRST foal, what would've happened if they had another foal and this one made it? the dog may have attacked it in the pasture! i have two dogs that dont even touch my chickens. Kris, if your dogs do that you may want to look into obediance classes or possible rehoming.

OP, although tragic, you did the right thing
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
default_new_shocked.gif
way to make her feel like crap Kris! geeze!
default_no.gif

IMO, a domestic dog that does that needs to be euthed. i feel the op did the right thing. how long would it have been before the dog moved on to other animals, or worse, children? and this was their FIRST foal, what would've happened if they had another foal and this one made it? the dog may have attacked it in the pasture! i have two dogs that dont even touch my chickens. Kris, if your dogs do that you may want to look into obediance classes or possible rehoming.

OP, although tragic, you did the right thing
default_yes.gif
Give me a break.....she had the dog for five years. I have dogs and always have had dogs and lots of mares foaling and never had a problem, why? Mares ready to foal need a quit safe and secure place to foal always and my dogs also know to stay away from the babies. So would you put the mare down if she stomped on your DOG? That's how bad this sounds?

Dogs and horses are COMPLETELY different in this aspect. Dogs are hunters and carnivores. Horses will not kill a dog for the taste of blood-they will kill a dog to protect themselves and their herd. Horses only hurt when they feel threatened in some way. That is not the case with dogs! I trust my dogs 100% with any animal on my farm. Any dog that attacked one of m horses would be put down immediately. The op has had this dog for 5 years and knew

Darn phone again. The op had the dog for 5 years-she did what she felt best in the situation and no judgement can be placed when you did not know the dog nor the whole situation as you were not there. Shame for placing more guilt-i'm sure the op feels plenty enough on her own!

Excuse any spelling errors. I am on my phone and cannot correct them.

Yep, any dog here had better learn to keep out of the way of the horses--because if the dog gets stomped on, it's the dog's own fault for being around the horses and not paying attention. I yell at the dog to get out of there, not at the horse to leave the dog alone!

I have rehomed dogs that I couldn't trust around the horses--but I rehomed them before they ever did any damage to anyone. Had any one of those dogs actually killed or attacked and drew blood, I'd have killed it myself, on the spot.

Sorry for you having to go through this. I had a dog once that killed a goat 'accidentally', then a chicken a few years later. That was it for me, rehomed to a no other pet family in town.

Honestly though, I would imagine your dog found it dead, and wouldn't associate that to a living foal, as it's been around the Minis for 5 years and not been aggressive. I know my dogs find 'dead' things out in the orchard after its mowed. Rabbits, squirrels, etc., but they're not aggressive to the horses ever or our cats or poultry. In fact our LGD when she was a puppy tried to see what one of the weanlings was, she had green bite marks on her back and gives the horses a wide birth even now. Our oldest Aussie, will kill squirrels, rabbits, etc., when she can, but she's also the one that brought 3 day old kittens home (one a day for three days) she'd found out on our property and waited with them until we found them in the morning.

But again better safe than sorry, I'd rather have an animal dead or gone than worry about trusting it.

As for the chick that's blaming you - shame on you. She's sharing something painful and you helped how? I guess that if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all isn't a concept you get.

So sorry for both your losses...tough thing to do, but you would have second guessed yourself everytime you had a foal otherwise. We have 2, yearling Pyr/Anatolian males (neutered) that have me concerned. I was in the stall last week with my mare & foal she had just lost, and the dogs seriously got into it outside the stall, I presume because of the smell of blood. I got them for LGDs, and if they become aggressive they will be gone one way or another.

Jan

Give me a break.....she had the dog for five years. I have dogs and always have had dogs and lots of mares foaling and never had a problem, why? Mares ready to foal need a quit safe and secure place to foal always and my dogs also know to stay away from the babies. So would you put the mare down if she stomped on your DOG? That's how bad this sounds?

do you know anything about horses and dogs at all?

if you knew anything about them you would know that horses are herbivours and dogs are carnivours. in other words, horses eat foliage, dogs eat meat. horses attack dogs because they feel thretened, dogs attack because they think its food. want an example?

my mare Misty never minded being around dogs until my dog nipped her on the nose, drawing some blood. Ever since then she went after any dog thats dumb/brave enough to go into her pen. She does it out of fear and self preservation. The OP's dog did this because its obviously got a higher prey drive/kill instinct than normal, which is dangerous.

i had my dog for 13yrs before she bit my horse on the nose, does that mean its my fault my horse got bit? i've also seen mares comftorably give birth outside, even when given the option of birthing in a stall. ever hear of all day turnout or 24/7 turnout? its not healthy nor is it wise to keep mares stalled all day and night because they are pregnant.

IMO, if you have nothing nice to say then dont say nothin. otherwise you may risk getting in trouble.

I'm so sorry this happened, but honestly, I would have done the same thing, no matter how hard it was. I used to have a dog that I didn't entirely trust, not that she ever did anything wrong, I just didn't think she was the type of dog I wanted loose around my other animals. She always stayed in the fenced backyard. However, my husband liked to let her loose to run when he'd walk our property when he'd come home for a visit (he's in the Army)...I kept telling him I didn't want her out as I didn't trust her. That stopped the day I told him I'd shoot her myself if she stepped out of line. I've had other dogs that I've taken to the barn with me over the years, but there was something about that particular dog... I ended up having to euthanize her anyway, as she had a tumor in her head.

Again, I'm very sorry for your losses, but I'm a firm believer in your decision.

((HUGS)) RELIC. So sorry for your loss. I stand by your decision, you did what was best for you in your situation.

Oh no! I can't imagine and I am so sorry for the loss of both, but I think you did the right thing for sure. Hugs to you- what a horrible thing to go through.

{{{{ hugs }}}} What an awful day to have at once.
default_no.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back