Lost our first foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic

Reaction score
l don't know if it was born dead or alive was a colt or filly dog chewed it pretty good for that to tell...much as l loved my dog who's been here almost 5 years and raised around the mares and smart enough to know never to get in with a stallion from day one...sad to say she's been sent to doggy heaven. Not sure if that was the right thing to do l really didn't want to but l don't think l would have ever felt l could trust her around the minis knowing what she did to this poor foal..

Oh my, I'm so sorry
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry for your loss of both...Not trying to be down or mean about this...but couldn;t you have found your doggy a non-horsey home? Just a suggestion I know its a little late now...

I'm so sorry for your losses! HUGS

OMG! I am so sorry!

My neighbors dog who has never tried to chase my horses (they are all in a dog proof fence) charged at my little Mishka just like he saw a cat. he has killed most of my cats. Mishka is a very tiny foal. I was standing there with her when he saw her and it scared me.

I am sorry that you had to lose your dog too, but it was probably for the best. He could have thought the foal did not belong there because he was new. It is hard to know just what they are thinking. I do not trust my own dogs around my minis even though they are shelties.

I can only imagine what you must be going through right now. This is one of my worst nightmares.

Again, I am just so sorry!

Oh my lord........The whole situation is so very sad.
default_sad.png

I am so sorry for both of your losses! A very bad day!
default_crybaby.gif

So sorry for your loss, both of them.

Haiving had 3 minis killed by a pack of dogs, my boyfriend got his arm bitten through by a dog out of that same pack, a smaller mare chewed up in another attack, I have little or no sympathy for dogs who kill. Whether or not the foal might have been dead is irrelevant- the dog never should have touched it. IMO, even a non horsey home would not have been a good choice- how long before the dog started going after small children?

I have since gotten a mule as a pasture guard, and after the first 3 dead dogs I had to remove from the pasture, our neighbors figured out we were serious and started keeping their dogs home instead of letting them roam.

OMG you poor thing, I can't even imagine how upset you are. I think you did the right thing even though it must have been very hard. How is your mare doing? I send you hugs and prayers that you may all find peace after such a rough day.

Oh no Dawn, I'm so sorry. I would like to believe that the foal was born dead & that's why the dog did what she did--but without knowing that for sure I think you did the right thing.

So very sorry for your loss. But you did absolutly the right thing. Alive or not, once a dog gets the taste of blood, its very hard to stop them. And even in another home, it could then get brave enough to attack other animals or children. I would also say the foal was dead because I would think the mare had already figured that out and left it for the dog to get close enough to even touch it. When my mare had her foal, the dog couldn't even stand outside her door, she is very protective.

I'm so sorry for everything. It's a horrible situation all around. I don't currently have a LGD, but always did in the past and it was one of my worst fears - you can NEVER predict an animal, of any species. Although I'm sure it was dreadful I think you most certainly did the right thing. You possibly could have found someone willing to take the dog, but what if something else happened in the future? You would have felt responsible and it could have been prevented. Not that my opinion matters to you, but I 100% think you did the right thing.

Hugs to you. It's such a sad situation.
default_no.gif

What a terrible situation, I am so sorry for your loss of both your foal and dog
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear of your losses...

Both are terrable losses and having to make the choice would of been hard but you have to go with what your heart tells you is right.

I am sorry BUT that was your responsibility to make sure NOTHING can get to your mare foaling. Not to have feelings for your dog that just did what a dog will do if given the chance toooo. I feel it went from BAD to Worse in this situation and I feel for yhe animals as they do not have a say.

Kris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back