Lost my Best Friend Today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have a good support system, lean on them & trust in Robin to help you too. Sending hugs & warm thoughts your way.

Thank you again for all the comments
default_smile.png
. Yesterday afternoon was a little hard when I went to pull Robin out of the field and Max wasnt there to greet me as I am use to. I also had to start packing up all his things into one of the two tack boxes I have at the barn and throw out anything I wont use for my next riding horse, but that wont be till I move, so a couple of years.

I still have to move the one tack box to my storage unit and scrub up the rambo blanket that he was wearing when he passed; if it wasnt only 2 months old I would just trash it.

I just wanted to follow up this topic with an update. As stated in other posts I have made that I do use an animal communicator to communicate with my animals and some believe in it and some do not which is fine; I didnt beleive in it but I was open minded when i first tried it.

I contacted Maureen who took a emergency communication with Max when he first collapsed last year out of no where and the first vet was no help at all. She was able to point me in the right direction and she said Max keeps saying his "back hurts him". When my other vet came out, I made no mention of the communication and she determined it was his back/spine area that was the problem.

After Max's sudden death, I needed closure on what happened since he was perfectly fine and 100% healthy the days before since I saw him. Here is the part of the communication of what happened to him and I did some research and it all makes sense now what happened and why it happened. I put some my comments inbetween in blue.

"When I tuned into Max, I asked him what happened whe he died. I sensed that his legs had become wobbly, and that he may have walked around in a small circle for a while. He started to lose his balance and couldn't regain it. He laid down slowly and quietly (which was evident from the marks in the ground where his body was found and no signs of trauma). It felt as though a stroke had come over him; he couldn't control his body, and he was shaking and his tongue was flopping around. His eyes became dilated but he couln't hear anything. He tried to make a sound, but nothing came out. What happened was sudden, like a short circuit. It did not seem as though Max suffered physically. It seemed more like he was experiencing mental confusion, not understanding what was happening. (upon researching "strokes" in horses, they say signs are coordination problems and vision problems which clearly he was having and the brain is malfunctioning.)

The whole episode was surprising to Max. There was no advance notice; there was nothing you could have done to prevent what happened. Max felt okay; nothign was hurting or bothering him. Max's death was not a traumatic event for him......" (when the 1st vet came out during his "back problem" she said he had a bad heart, and when the second came out she said it was not a bad heart but an "athletic heart." So I did some reasearch about heart problems in horses and a common heart problem/defect is Atrial Fibrillation which is a electrical disorder of the heart rhythm and is common in fit athletic horses, which Max clearly was in his prime, he was one heck of one. But the normal one shows obvious signs, so upon further reading there is a Benign Atrial fibrillation which horses can continue to perform at a submaximal level or performance without illeffects, which fit max's case; he was a very athletic, quick horse but was never extremely fast; that never occured as a problem. But if they are not treated it seems that with old age it will lead to problems as any heart problems/defects do. I think with his heart defect and old age his heart eventually short circuited and it caused a stroke.)

When he was sick and going through his back problem, I remember telling my mom that I did want to play God and have to take Max's life from him, so I am glad that he was taken at the right time so that I didnt have to make that paniful decision.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm grateful that he went easily. I remember when a horse we had owned for year died. We had sold her a couple months prior and my mom was in the process of trying to buy her back. One night, I heard a loud nicker. It was her nicker. Three days later, my mom received a letter saying she had died the day I had heard the nicker. We also had a dog with a horrible cough. For three days after she died, we heard the coughing under the house where she liked to lay.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm grateful that he went easily. I remember when a horse we had owned for year died. We had sold her a couple months prior and my mom was in the process of trying to buy her back. One night, I heard a loud nicker. It was her nicker. Three days later, my mom received a letter saying she had died the day I had heard the nicker. We also had a dog with a horrible cough. For three days after she died, we heard the coughing under the house where she liked to lay.
I had the same happened when Max's friend who was a colt passed suddenly, I heard his whinny from the barn when no horses were in it.

Latest posts

Back