Lost another one

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitsy

Reaction score
Last night my little 30" mare, Delight, went into labor. Before she ever started I felt something was wrong. You know how we mommys know when our children just aren't right! She was acting strangely for her, this was her tenth foal, when labor finally began there was NO presentation. After a good 15 minutes I finally was able to see the red bag, quick grabbed a sharp instrument, went in and cut it open, got soaked, but no nose, no feet. Turns out head was down and feet were back. As we all know you only have minutes when it's a red bag and there was no way I could get her out quickly enough. Another run to the horsey hospital, who I will soon have to mortgage the farm to pay off. The killer, it was the wildly patterned black and white tovero filly I've been trying for fourteen years to get from my fallen ash farms stud. There she was, perfect, looked like someone stood back and threw paint balls at her.

Delight is up and seems to be doing ok. Second scary thing, when they went to milk out some of the colustrom, the right teat was giving a fluid that looked bloody or badly discolored, they were going to send it out and have it cultured along with the placenta that was also not good looking at all.

Ginny: this was Karis sister, would have made Kari look PLAIN!

I'm so sorry to here about your loss. :no: Death is such an unfair thing. I hope your mare will be ok.

That is sad.
default_sad.png
One thing other people have mentioned though is that often a badly positioned foal like that may be dead already and couldn't get into position. It sounds like your mare may have some sort of infection going on. I hope she recovers well from the difficult birth and all.

I completely agree with Jayne. I am so sorry about your awful outcome, but at least your mare is okay.

It does sound like your little mare had an infection going on, though. And your foal was very likely dead already.

MA

[SIZE=14pt]Bitsy, so sorry about your baby, You and I are now both two for two arent we? Hope your little mare will be ok. Sillouettes placenta had a large area of infarct also but we got nice colostrum from both teats. Vet said she had a placentitis and that the baby may have died the day before because of that and couldnt get turned around. Ours was breech tho and we lost the mare two days later as well. Hope the rest of the season goes better for both of us... I hear what you are saying about vet bills too![/SIZE]

Lyn

Bitsy, I am so very sorry for your loss. To have it be just what you've always wanted is just another insult to injury, how heartbreaking.

Lyn, I'm so sorry for your losses too, I haven't been online much lately (loss in my family) but I wanted to give you my condolences. {{{{hugs}}} to you both

OMG, I am so sorry to hear of the SECOND one. She must have been beautiful if she was more colorful than Kari. I pray that all your remaining foals are healthy, happy and COLORFUL. With your horses, they will be. Seems like everyone is having a few losses this year.

Ginny

I'm so sorry to read this and there seems to be a lot of losses this year for some reason.

When you get a healthy live foal this year, you have something to celebrate about it seems. So sad reading these kind of posts.

Joyce

How very sad.......... :no: I am so sorry for your loss......and especially when it is something you have been wishing for!!! Hope your mare recovers fully.

I was always told blood in the milk meant premature separation of the placenta. Sounds like you did all you possible could.

Oh no, you poor thing.......you must feel crushed!

To loose any foal is heartwrenching but to loose one so special to you is worse.

Truly sorry for your sorrow over another beuatiful loss.........

Definatelty not for the faint of heart!

Glad you have a good vet hospital nearby.

I am so sorry to hear about the foal, it sounds like she would have been breath-taking.

I hope your mare is ok and heals quickly, I am sure she isn't have a very nice time now either, hugs to you both, so sorry...so sad.
default_sad.png

Bitsy, I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank goodness you were there for your little mare when she needed you, or the outcome could have been even worse! :no:

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts going to you and your little mare!

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so very sorry for your loss, they are difficult no matter what the baby looked like, but to lose the one you have been hoping for for so long too.... ((((hugs)))) Glad the mare is ok.

I am so very sorry for this terrible loss, I pray your mare will recover fully.

I'm so sorry for your loss, just so sad.

I am so sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose one, but to lose your dream filly, I'm so sorry. HUGS to you and your mare.

Jodi

I'm so very sorry. I only hope the mare is ok and you can try again for another baby maybe next year..will be interested to hear what the outcome of the test is..

Maxine

I'm so sorry!! I've so admired your horses, hope things turn around for you very soon.

Latest posts

Back