Lost another foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minie812

Reaction score
default_no.gif
Well, we had lost our first foal of the year on Easter morning and now exactly 1 week later my hubby went out to call the mares up for the evening and Dolly was standing by the round bale and would not come up. He walked over and there lay a foal still in the sac...he immediatley tore it open but it was dead. This mare was at 296 days gestation and last weeks foal was at 307 days. I am at a loss for what is happening at our farm. We have not changed feeding habits or hay or food...are we just jinxed or what? I am so upset and scared for our last mare. She is not due till mid-summer. Is this a bad foaling year for everyone?

I am so sorry for your losses.

This is why so many keep cameras on their expectant mares and look for the signs of foaling so they know when to put them under the camera. Far to many foals do not make it without assistance. Can you put this last mare under constant watch when she is near her foaling date? I know I ran a path to and from the barn when I bred (we no longer breed) just checking on my mares even with a camera on; making sure they were comfortable and just being anxious.

Again I am so sorry for both of your losses. I hope things go well with your last expectant mare.

I am sorry for your loss!

I am going to ask a silly question - is there fescue grass around your parts? Did you have your hay analysed? Fescue makes the sac tougher.

i'm sorry for you losses.

I'm too, very afraid for my mare. She is not due until June. She is under carefull watch everyday, I read just about everyday and someone is lossing a foal. Weather it is the weather, sickness after the foaling. hip lock, ect... Sometimes i think God is trying to tell us something. I don't think anyone does anything wrong if they lost a foal. it might have happened even if you where watching them or not. camera or not. I hope no one says anything bad about this subject. Cuz i know everyone can relate to this feeling. I shead a tear eveytime I read of a loss or a little one very sick. And a tear to all that make it.(happy tear) I'm hoping I have happy tears when mine is born.

I am sorry for your loss!

I am going to ask a silly question - is there fescue grass around your parts? Did you have your hay analysed? Fescue makes the sac tougher.
No they have been on the same grass for the last several years and our hay is from our pasture. This mare was not due till mid may and showed no signs of getting ready to foal

default_no.gif
my heart goes out to you and your mares.

We had three mares abort eariler this year. We never did find out why.We tested everything.

good luck.

take care
default_saludando.gif

Im so sorry for your loss! Did you check the cord and see if it was twisted or anything looked wrong? Sometimes no matter what we do we cant save them. Sending good thoughts to your mare

Im so sorry for your loss! Did you check the cord and see if it was twisted or anything looked wrong? Sometimes no matter what we do we cant save them. Sending good thoughts to your mare
We feed stradegy and beet pulp with a little oil...nothing changed feed wise. It looked red bag hubby tore the sac off and I to thought of a twisted cord but appeared normal

I just wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear about yet another loss.
default_no.gif
Joyce

I'm so very sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
If it looked like a red bag, then it's very possible that the foal died in utero for whatever reason, and then was aborted.
default_sad.png
Very sad, but nothing that you could have done to save it if that were the case. I will keep your last mare due to foal in my thoughts and prayers, chances are she will foal just fine, though I very much understand your worry and concern. good luck!

I am so very sorry.

(I know how devastating it is to lose a foal.)

I can't imagine your sorrow losing two.

Sending Hugs and Positive thoughts for your 3rd foal.

-Becky

I am so sorry for the loss of your baby, Sending prayers to you and the mother, hoping mom is doing ok.

It seems like there has been so many foals lost this year. I am worried about one of my mares right now to.

Judy, so sorry for your loss. How heartwrenching it must be.

default_crybaby.gif

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

I'm so very sorry to hear that you lost another foal. My heart breaks for you. I pray that your last mare will deliver a healthy foal.

Tammie~

Sorry about another loss sometimes things are so unfair...

My heart goes out to you. What is going on this year, so many are losing foals??

We lost a lovely PERFECT little filly two weeks ago born to an experience broodmare, born at 284 days gestation for no apparent reason. Now have a mare at 315 days, and I am PARANOID. I am watching her around the clock on a camera, what more can we do? Wendy

Latest posts

Back