Lost a filly - so bummed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
When I checked my mare last night she didn't act at all ready. How stupid was I? We found a little angel filly in her pen today:-(

I waited a long 11 months for this, not to mention ever since I was 10 years old (now 16) and saw my first miniature horse babies i knew someday I wanted to have my own, and then I lost it because I was stupid. But this is definetly a lesson learned, and it will be the last time I loose a baby because I wasn't there.

The filly had REALLY long hooves plus at the end there was this really weird cartlidge, jelly type things on her hoofes( like an inch longer)

What do you think this was?

She had a little bit of and under bite but other then that she looked so perfect. Shoot!

I feel so bad that my mare lost her baby because of me!

Gage

default_no.gif
I am so sorry for your loss. The hoof stuff is normal for new born foals.

[SIZE=12pt]Gage,[/SIZE]

She sounds like a perfectly normal foal. Hoof pads are neccesary and normal. Many foals will also seem to have an off bite until their teeth come in. I'm so sorry. It has happened to most of us
default_no.gif

Gage, I'm very sorry for your loss. That's so disappointing. Don't blame yourself too much, there are people that have watched and watched and watched, then taken their eyes off their mare for 5 minutes & that is when she foaled.

As for the hoofs, what you describe are the normal "slippers" of a newborn foal. The slippers protect the mare from the foal's hoofs during birth. As soon as the foal is up on its feet & moving around, those wear off very quickly.

Im so sorry Gage!! You have to be strong, we lost our 1st foal also a filly over 12 years ago so I know how u feel. Sometimes you just dont know.

Probably everyone here who has foaled out a few babies has lost at least one because we "missed" the signs or the signs were not there........ It does NOT do you any good to thrash yourself. Sometimes I believe that losses like that are designed to teach us something. And yes, it's a harsh lesson.

Just about every foal is born with a spongy substance on the bottom of their hooves. It's very normal. They are called "slippers" (as mentioned above) or "milk toes". Some foals have longer ones than others. They usually wear off as the foal begins attempting to walk.

Gage,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your filly. Please don't be so hard on yourself. I'm not dismissing it as easy to deal with, just that it is bound to happen. Sadly, it happened to you this time. Gage, I've lost 2 this year that may have survived had we known it was happening. Sometimes these mares just don't give us any signs to work with. It's heartbreaking, but you can not blame yourself. You were doing what you thought was right. We all learn something with every foal - both good and bad. Hugs to you.
default_wub.png

We also lost two foals this year...so do not blame yourself...it is hearbreaking but you just go on
default_no.gif

Thank you all so much:-( Im just so devistated, I was so excited for this foal. But I guess there is always next time. Thank you all so much for the kind and comforting words. Im glad to know it has happened to the best of us! It just hard to hear that some people don't even know their horse is pregnant and they come out and there is a bouncy little foal running around, and then there is us who knew they were pregnant all along and do everything for them, and then this happens.

Thanks for the info on the hoof pad things, I have never heard of it before so I was hoping maybe something was wrong with it and that is why it didn't survive, but I am glad to know nothing is wrong with it, and that the underbite it sometimes normal, Its nice to know that my horses didn't produce a bad filly.

For those who remember Palley her body style looks almost 100% identicle, although she was black.

I just wish I had pictures of it to show. Im getting ready to go burry here right now!

Thanks again y'all!

Gage

I'm sorry for your loss, doesn't make it any easier but you are in good company. It happens to most of us sooner or later.
default_no.gif

Jan

default_sad.png
Oh Gage, I am soooo very sorry for your loss. What a tough "first foal" experience for you to have to face. (((HUGS))).

default_no.gif
I am so sorry for your loss.We have loss some foals to mares aborting. It is very heart breaking. We just loss a pretty filly tovero with two blue eyes this morning. I am so sick to my stomach it hurts. I feel your pain.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
These mares are so hard to judge!....and sneaky too. Even when you're watching them I swear they know when you have stepped away from the moniter for a few minutes! I'm sorry that your first foaling experience turned out this way.
default_no.gif

I'm SOOO Sorry to hear this Gage
default_no.gif
You know how much I love you and your sweeties. Was this a Rosie and Palley cross? Keep your chin up, you have lots of friends who care and just know there will always be next year. There my have been a reason, right? My heart goes out for you.

Hey, drop me an e-mail later, I was wanting to talk to you.

Again, I'm really sorry for your loss. I wish you more luck for next year.

((Hugs))

default_sad.png
Des

Latest posts

Back