Lost a Beautiful Filly This Morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE:

Missy is still up and doing good and she is perky. Talked to the vet and we are going to get her started on some antiobiotics and he says that he would like to flush her during her foal heat since it was an easy delivery besides losing the foal.

I am going to be taking her outside to graze and hopefully she will perk up but she acts as if she knows the foal didn't make it. No nickering, etc. and she is very calm so please keep me and her in your prayers and thoughts!
I am glad your mare is doing ok. Sometimes the mares with the easiest deliveries can still get infections from other reasons (ie: wind suckers), so I am glad you will be flushing her and etc.

You and your mare are in my thoughts and prayers.

So sorry to read that you lost your little foal, it sounds as though you did all you could to try to save her. Glad that Missy appears to be recovering ok - give her a hug from me.

Anna

Katie, I am SO sorry to hear this, my heart goes out to you, what a disappointment. I am waiting for my only foal as well, knowing there's a high chance of a poor outcome and wishing I had bred at least one other mare. I, too, am coping by dreaming of next year's foals - you will have some beautiful ones, I can't wait to see them! I'm glad mama is ok, here's a big hug for both of you.

So Sorry you lost your filly. Glad your mare is doing better. We had difficult deliverys this year, thinking about not breeding for next year. Nerve wracking !

I have heard so much of sad stories this year. I have never bred a mini but I used to work for a quarter horse breeder and we lost a foal AND mare a couple years ago. What a sad day. I wish you the best

Oh Katie, I am so sad to hear you and Missy lost the foal. I have been waiting and watching to see when she foaled. Remember my Missy is due at the same date and is my first, her second. I am getting really nervous now, and I can feel your sorrow. Words aren't enough for me to express to you how much I feel your pain. I am so glad to hear your Missy is getting better. Guessing at today was day 326 here, my Missy foaled day 342 a colt last year. I took pictures today of her bag, belly two angles, and vulva so I can start a better record. She doesn't look even close to any sign except guessing date due and her croup looks lower and longer, so does her vulva. I think! Thanks to you and all the other poster, I will not depend on those strips, only a guide, if she ever gets a bag. I only have that and the camera, so I am taking in all the information and tips I can. Lots of hugs to you all from our place.

I'm sorry you lost your filly, it has been a tough year it seems. We lost one last month too, the only filly so far. I've quit using the strips too - they were fairly reliable for most of my mares but the quality of the colostrum tells me more, along with visual changes in the mare & her demeanor. Sounds like your mare will be fine, glad she at least didn't have a hard delivery.

Jan

The first registered miniature foal we had due (and only one for that year as well) did not make it and we almost lost the mare in the process. This was over 25 years ago when we first started breeding registered miniature horses and I still remember even today the hurt and disbelief that I felt on that day and for weeks to come. Since that terrible day, we have been blessed with many, many lovely foals, and sadly even with cameras, monitors, and someone being present at the farm 24/7, and being within 20 minutes drive of one of the top rated equine clinics in the nation if we have problems, we have lost mares and foals during the birthing process. The realization is that you can only do the very best you can in trying to ensure the foals arrive safely and regardless things will happen and foals will be lost and mares will be lost - it is unavoidable. With that, though, it is the minority of the time - I tend to use the 80-20 rule and it seems to apply in the miniature birth process -in about 20% of births - something happens that is outside the norm and then - the 80-20 rule applies again - of those 20% that do experience problems 80% are able to be corrected/resolved, sadly the other 20% are not- but it is a small minority of the time. I've also noted that it tends to run in cycles - One year we had 3 major issues in a row in the same week - the University Equine center knows us on a first name basis unfortunately and when they have a call notifying them that says a miniature horse is coming in at 2 in the morning from Circleville, OH - they know it is us. Another year out of 25 foals - we only experienced minor issues and had 25 live births.

We are currently in the middle of the height of our foaling season and every time I have a mare lay down to deliver, I say a silent prayer that all goes well and if things do not, for help from above to guide me in making the right decisions to do the very best possible.

I'm very sorry about the loss of your filly and hope the above information from our experiences over the years is helpful. Don't give up - for you will truly have many lovely healthy foals in the future.

We are currently in the middle of the height of our foaling season and every time I have a mare lay down to deliver, I say a silent prayer that all goes well and if things do not, for help from above to guide me in making the right decisions to do the very best possible.

I do this also Getitia!

Well, I want to say thank you for the posting from your experience.

no.gif
my heart goes out to you .I just lost a nice sorrel pinto filly april 13. I was there but still couldn't save my filly. My filly got stuck. The filly legs were cross so when the mare tried to push the filly out the cord broke while she was still half way inside the dam. whent he cord broke it cut off the oxygen to the filly. i tried everything to save my filly. i tried cpr and everything. my vet came out said i did everything i could. i was there and couldn't save her. i saw her take her last breath. i am still sick to my stomach. i am just now posting again. i have cried so much i could have ocean in my own yard. i am thankful my mare is okay.my mare fussy for few days but she is better now. my vet said i could rebred mare thank goodness. i know how you feel i am still sad over my lost as well. Don't beat yourself up i know it is hard not to. have faith with time we will heal with all are great family and friends. i am trying to focus on my other minis. i still dream of my filly running in the pasture. i keep thinking i am having bad dream but it is real.hang in there. trust me i know how you feel

Latest posts

Back