Looking into trying CDE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick question.. but would it be useful if we start a CDE Forum here on LB?
default_unsure.png

Even I thought of doing this at one time because I love driving..

Yes, Yes, Yes! Great idea Mary Lou!

HI

I just joined the Florida Whips. Went to our first fun competition, had a blast. Just did a fun trail ride , judged on costume(Halloween) , cones, and picnic baskets. I won best costume
default_biggrin.png
First time for my gelding he did great. Looking forward to more, but the dressage always gets me
default_no.gif

I would love to see more about CDE on forum. As I am a beginner.

This past weekent I used a easty entry cart with wood wheels. I would love to get a cart that looks good and can take you thru all CDE event. Anybody have pictures of the carts you use?

[i posted this before seeing Mary Lou's last post mentioning the new board, which, by the name, appears to be more inclusive than just CDE...so never mind! Or perhaps this can be a thought as to the direction this board might go.]

My eyes and ears are always open to anything regarding CDE, so I would enjoy a forum board dedicated to this topic, and I would love to see more mini folks give CDE a try and see how much fun it is.

...but...

How about, instead of focusing strictly on CDE, expanding it to cover the various forms of competetive and recreational driving outside the breed show ring? There are many common issues and questions that extend beyond CDE.

If a given board lacks frequent and regular response, people tend to stop looking to see what is new, which is very frustrating when it is a great category. I think that driving board would bring more activity if it also included:

ADS pleasure driving

Harness racing

Trail and off-road driving

Parade driving

Therapeutic driving

Training the versatile driving horse

...and so forth.

Again, I love CDE and I would frequent such a board (along with several other forums and list-servs), but I think it could share space (and readers) with other adventures in mini driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering if a moderator would want to move this thread to the new Driving forum. There is some good basic info on here.

Two of my favourite sites are

:modedit: THIS TEXT REMOVED BY ADMIN. PLEASE READ RULES PERTAINING TO OUTSIDE LINKS NOT ALLOWED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any good books, websites, etc. on learning how to do CDE? I know there are different courses (dressage, obstacle), but I'm pretty much clueless. Our local club is trying to start the program back up and would love to support them. I'm purchasing a meadowbrook cart, but need to figure out the right harness. So I need suggestions on a good CDE harness (and one that's reasonable affordable for now), where to find the CDE rulebook, and any learning websites/books. And for those that show it, what's all involved? What does the horse need to know? My gelding drives show right now, but I drive him without a check when I'm not working him on headset. Someone told me checks weren't allowed. Thanks!
default_saludando.gif

Hi Keri,

Just a note on equipment - I did my very first CDE in September, and I used my Jerald cart and new show harness. And it worked great, I have no plans to save for a new cart - the Jerald was great, I used it basket on for dressage and cones, and off for marathon. The only change I plan to make for next year is adding some solid wheels so I have the option to show Preliminary. Anyway, I just didn't want you to think you had to invest in a whole bunch of new equipment to give it a try!!

I am very happy to see the different topics on the competition driving! Can be a bit confusing to a newbie trying to sort it all out.

I've been going to a yearly CDE an hour away just to observe and maybe dream of competing myself one day. In the meantime I can live vicariously through those of you here.

Sure wish it was more popular in my area.

Are there any CDE competitions in the MA/NH/ME area that you know of?

Sue (or anyone else in the New England area)- stop in the American Driving Society Booth in the Breed Pavilion (Stroh Building) at Equine Affaire this week! They should have a list of clubs and/or websites where you can get that info. There is a perfect beginner CDE in central CT in early June and the Pleasure Driving Show I went to was in western Mass. I know there are more!! And don't be afraid to beg for a VSE division if there isn't one already. Or do what I did at the Pleasure Show and enter the Novice Whip Division and stick to events with individual patterns. For example I just did dressage, cones, reinsmanship, and progressive cones, competing against big - sometimes HUGE horses. But no one was ever in the ring with me.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out at the Equine Affaire. Makayla and I love looking into different things we can do with our minis.

Are there any CDE competitions in the MA/NH/ME area that you know of?

Hi Bozley,

The Myopia Driving Club is looking to make a mini division for ADTs and CDE competitions. We now have three minis but if you are interested in this, check out the web page and come to some events next year, starting with the Frostbite series. There is also an ADT going on at Mary Gray's in NH, just had the first of three last week, the next one is the 15th of Nov and the last one is December 6....She is in Danville NH and it is set up beautifully. Huge indoor ring with viewing room (with a fireplace to hang out in and watch) a separate area for the obstacles and cones and very nice people....hope you come and join us....and help us get the mini division going....by the way, no unhitching at these events, you do your dressage, head out and do your obstacles and then finish with the cones...

nbark

That is great info. We will definitely check it out. Are you still all driving on Saturdays at Maudslay? We have 3 horses that we are itching to get out and drive more.

Just a quick question.. but would it be useful if we start a CDE Forum here on LB?
default_unsure.png

Even I thought of doing this at one time because I love driving..
I would love to see a CDE/ ADT Forum. I took my pair to our first CDE in Ohio and we had an absolute blast. I am hooked for sure
default_biggrin.png
It would be nice from my standpoint anyway to include Shetland Ponies.

Thanks for starting this
default_smile.png

Foxlanefarm, that's what this forum is!

But it is for ALL types of driving! So post and share away! I don't see any harm in posting here about ponies. If it's driving the small equine, IMO, it's welcome here!

Robin
default_saludando.gif

(The driving forum Mod)

Latest posts

Back