Looking for Tornado info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwest2u2

Reaction score
HI, I have never posted on this part of the forum before, but my daughter just moved from Washington State to a little town in Minnesota on the Iowa border while her boyfriend puts up wind turbines. Anyway she has had 2 tornado warnings. We are scared to death. She doesn't know what to expect since we don't have them here. Can anyone give me some insite as to what to expect. What is the best way for her to find out what is going on in her area?

The good side is that I might get to fly out this summer and vist her for a week. I have never been to that area and I seen where there is a mini horse show at the end of July about 60 miles from her. Maybe I can go to it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Scared Mom in Washington.

Patty

default_saludando.gif
Hi Patty!

Well..... as long as she has a basement she is GOOD to go!! loL! Sorry..... I'm from Nebraska, her neighbor to the west...... and we too deal with ALLOT of tornados........ 4 years ago (the year I moved back home) a tornado took the whole town out (Hallam, NE) just 8 miles directly north of here.... I can see thier grain elevator from here..... VERY SCAREY! The tornado missed this place by only five miles. It was a F-5 catagory.

Don't want to scare you..... they are deffinately NOTHING to mess around with..... If your daughter stays informed and listens to the radio/t.v. She just wants to make sure she has a basement she can take shelter in or find one if she doesn't have one.... Mobile homes are THEE worst to live in for that....

You guys should come to the Area 6 National show that's the 2nd weekend in July at Lincoln, NE! Would love to meet you guys!!
default_yes.gif

I wish you daughter the best for her saftey....... I guess living here in Nebraska most of my life..... you just get accustom to them and it's just a routine for tornado season...... still is VERY unnerving and I worry about the horses the most! I want to take them in the basement with me!!!!!!!!!!!!! All 11 of them if I could!!!
default_wub.png

Hello....

I'm in south central Minnesota not real far from the MN/IA boarder and sure haven't heard of any warnings. I have a weather scanner that sounds alarms when there are watches and warnings in case we are shut in with the a.c. on and don't hear what is going on.

I would suggest that she turn on her tv to her local station and they are very very good about interupting programing with all serious weather alerts or will post it at the bottom of her tv screen. Or turn on the radio.

Also make sure that if she either heads to a basement or a small, windowless, first floor, interior room like a closet or bathroom. Make sure she always has a radio with fresh batteries and a flash light with fresh batteries where she can find them all summer. When warnings sound you should be prepared just in case.

I would also advise that she go to a store and by a weather alert radio, they are about 30 bucks.

Good luck! Unforunately those watches and warnings are common here.
default_wacko.png

P.S. that is correct about the mobile homes, in the event of a tornado they are NO place to be and she needs to get out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks for the info
default_aktion033.gif
I will have her shop for a radio and get a flashlight the next time she goes to Austin. She does live in a 2 story house and she was told by the person at the gas station to go in the basement away from windows. But the only place she can find is by the hot water heater. But I guess it is better than nothing. The other night she said there was a stob type light going off in town and didn't know why. So I looked at the local weather and it said there was a tornado watch going on. We did find out the difference between a warning and a watch. She is only to be there for 4-5 month, I hope I can handle it that long
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back