looking for property in N.carolina

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angle ridge

Reaction score
Hello. I'm from Wisconsin and am interested in N,C. I was there once at the army base to see my son graduate. Fell in love with the area. Now i'm interested in moving there. I need some ideas of nice places to live. I have a few mini's and two dogs. Fixer up's are ok also. I'm thinking of taking a weeks vacation out there this fall and just wanted to take some of the guess work out of the looking.

thanks for the help.

Judy

I'm with ya, Judy! I'm thinking the same thing. So, any info re: either of the Carolinas would be helpful to me!
default_wink.png

Thanks!

Many years ago I lived in NC....close to and around Ft. Bragg. (I was raised in SC). I mainly wanted to tell you that I think your idea of going out there in the fall and visiting is an excellent idea if you have plans to purchase property or a home in any area. We did that exact thing a couple of years ago when we went to Oklahoma. I'm glad we did as we were better able to view the places we had been interested in up close and personal. Our 10 day stay was not enough tho and we have plans to maybe go out there again and view more towns and hopefully meet with some forum members as well before we make our decision.
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

As far as NC goes....I have done some research online and have come across the southern part, close to the border and York, SC and found that there is plenty of beautiful land and horse properties out that way. However I have not personally been there so hopefully some forum members that live closeby to that area can maybe chime in and give you a head's up. Good luck in your search for that pefect horse property!

Thanks. I have been looking on the internet also. I did not know how big it is out there. So many places.

We are looking forward to going out there. and it would realy be cool to meet with others who live out there.

to visit and see your farms. Thats a great idea. What do you think Suz?
default_aktion033.gif

Thats a great idea. What do you think Suz?
default_aktion033.gif
I think so too. I've been looking alot on the internet also. I have a friend who lives in Charlotte, NC and a friend who lives in Beaufort, SC and they both love it (both being from Florida and who would never move back!) Beaufort, SC is near the water so that's out for me. I'm thinking the Charlotte area or maybe northern, SC. I've heard Union County in N. Carolina is one place to go if you want to keep your horses at home (which is the goal I"m working for!).

I also would like to meet some forum members in the area. Also, in the event I would have to board my guy for awhile, does anyone know of any reputable boarding facilities in N or S Carolina?

Thanks
default_biggrin.png

I liked the Raleigh area much better than the Greensboro area. Greensboro seemed very industrial. Very pretty countryside! I don't think we could take the humidity though. It WAS SO HOT THERE! Plus there were HUGE bugs lol! I am from California so I am not used to bugs like that
default_biggrin.png

Be sure and check out the tax situation in NC & SC. NC has a state income tax I believe as well as higher tax on vehicles - SC does some of the same.

Now TN is for me - no state income tax. Some day!!!

Good luck everyone. Dave and I have looked and looked in TN and finally found our spot - now if we could just sell our house here in FL.

Barbie

Now Barbie, I think your sells tax in TN is alot higher than NC, it all comes out even in the end. I live in the Piedmont area. I love it here. Yes it gets hot in the summer, thats why its called summer. But I think it gets hot everywhere else too.

I can be at the beach in less than 4 hours, I can be at Biltmore Estate in 3 hours, I can be in VA in an hour. I can be in Knoxville, TN in 4.5 hours. I can visit the mountains one weekend and the beach the next. I am 6.5 hours from the KY Horse Park, 10 hours from Ocala, FL. We have baseball, basketball, hockey and football. We also have two AMHA/AMHR shows a year. I live in the city limits but you wouldn't know it sitting on my front porch. I moved to NC again 8 years ago, I love it and will never move. I grew up in Fayetteville/Ft Bragg, so NC really is home.

I love it up in North Carolina too; very pretty place to be. Sure do miss the ocean.

Suz, drop it down a notch and don't rule out Tennesee. A bit more old timey in places but it sure is a nice place to live especially for the horses while its still afforadable. We are being over run with lots of people flocking from out of state here. We just got the rest of our relatives out of Port Charlotte and they already said wish they left years ago too when we did. Come visit!~

We were recently down in Hendersonville N.C. for vacation. My uncle owns property down there.

It is a nice town, though we spent most of our time out in the country - parks, waterfalls etc.

On the way down..

n719783473_1024043_4601-1.jpg

One of the many "secret" waterfalls...

n719783473_1024317_7668.jpg

Another Waterfall

n719783473_1024318_7958.jpg

landscape

n719783473_1024229_8979.jpg

Cannot wait to go back
default_yes.gif

~Liz

I'm in Gaffney, SC I love it here, I'm 30 mins from Spartanburg, 1.5 hours from Asheville, NC 1 hour south of Charlotte, NC 1 hour north of Greenville, SC. 10 minutes from walmart, outlet mall food etc. its 3 hours to Winston Salem area, I think about 4 hours maybe 5 not real sure Raliegh, about 4 hours from the beach, and 10 hours north of Tampa, Fl. Even though we have a state income tax its really not that much, we do have property taxes on the vehicles but thats a deduction on the state tax, our sales tax is 5 or 6% I think, its not bad, and gas right now is 3.77-3.79/gal There's a horse surgery center in Tryon, NC the people there have been awesome to us even when our little dwarf was terminally ill.

If you are specifically looking for horsey areas, Landrum, SC/Tryon,Nc/Columubs, NC is nice, more mountainous that me, but its only 30 mins from me. I hear that Southern Pines is nice Golf/horsey but hot, but these areas can also be pricey. Where I am in Gaffney is running 5-10k/acre depending on the area.

If I can be of any more help, just let me know, I'll be glad to do what I can.

Karen

a lot depends on what you want to spend on land, how close to the "city" you want to be ect.

I live smack dab in the middle of the state. I mean the exact geographic center of the state is 6 miles from my house. ( piedmont)

Its rural, cheap ( friend bought 14 acres and an OLD farmhouse for 68K)

We are three hours from the coast and from the mountains ( more or less)

Prime horse country ( Pinehurst) is 30 miles away.

If you want culture go to the Raleigh/ Durham area

Big City ( by southern standards) Charlotte area)

small town still with a mall. restaurants ect Greensboro

We are within 1 1/2 hours or less from all of those cities without the traffic and cost.

added bonus, where I live no one gives a flip how many horses, dog ect you have

Karen-

Have to admit the sales tax is higher - I love NC - spent summers there from the time I was 8 until I was 16 and my mom was killed in a car accident there. My dad had a place in Little Switzerland till he died and my stepmom just sold it a year and a half ago and bought a nice new place in Asheville. I love the mountains - we looked some there, prices were just a little more. I'll only be 2.5-3 hours from my stepmom, maybe 8 hours from Ocala and 8-9 hours from my sister-in-law in Ohio. NC or TN - I really would take either. Have to say having great friends in Sweetwater and Madisonville, not to mention Farragut swayed us some. My brother-in-law has already moved to Oohtewah. I just want to get up there - it is truly God's Country.

Barbie

I have family in North East Ten, I love it over there, but hubby's work is over here, but I am close enough I visit every about once a month. South Carolina's taxes are cheaper than North Carolina's but I am not exactly sure by how much.

Karen

I've lived in NC for - let's see, 35 years now? - and I still get asked, "You're not from around here, are you?"
default_biggrin.png

I was in the Elizabeth City area for a few years, then near Fayetteville. I've been in Wilmington for the last 25. I have relatives in Goldsboro, Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, and Florence, SC. We have vacationed in the Outer Banks several times, and also in the mountains. As they say in the tag line of an old commercial, "I like calling North Carolina home!"

Wrightsville Beach is about 15 minutes from my house. I can get to Raleigh in an hour and a half, Greensboro in 3 hours, Asheville takes about 5 hours.

A few years ago, you could buy land quite reasonably, if you didn't mind being "out in the boonies." That means a drive of 45 minutes or so! Sadly, this area has experienced a building boom, and prices have risen accordingly. It seems like you say "acreage," and someone's going to think "Oh boy, I can put x number of houses on that!" There is still land to be had, you just have to go further out, or be prepared to pay a bit more.

Oh, and Brandi*? Sounds like you met up with some of our mosquitos! I heard a "Good ol' boy" claim he saw one of them trying to take off with a cow, and it almost succeeded!
default_biggrin.png

Bunnylady!

I must have missed those mosquitos lol
default_rolleyes.gif
But I did encounter some other unfavorable things for a cali girl
default_biggrin.png
After I stopped freaking out I was able to take some pics!

This beetle must have died mid air over my truck and then plopped down on my tonneau cover. Two more met the same fate a few days later. It was very very weird
default_wacko.png

DSC01028.jpg

This guy was waiting to bite my bum
default_nono.gif
Scared me to death!

DSC01026.jpg

I know you can't tell how big they are from the pics but just take my word for it....you don't find them in Cali lol
default_biggrin.png

Other than that I really really liked it there! We bought a beautiful property in Clayton NC but hubby got laid off shortly after that. So unfortunately we had to sell
default_sad.png

This was our pond! It was so peaceful. We even had geese
default_wub.png
But alas it was not meant to be. It all worked out for the better
default_yes.gif

DSC01032.jpg

I would say go for it if you can
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Brandi, your place was lovely!

The beetle looks like a Junebug. They are common in the Southeast during early summer, hence the name. A bit startling, perhaps, but harmless. Older country folk tell of tying a thread to a Junebug's leg and flying it around like a toy.
default_rolleyes.gif

The spider looks like an Argiope, I believe they are common all over the U.S. They are also called Writing Spiders because they put zigzag designs in their webs. I know of two other spiders in this area that come that size, the Golden Silk Spider and the Wolf Spider. Yeah, they really get your attention, don't they?
default_new_shocked.gif

I guess your just going to have to come visit all of us to see what you love best.

Barbie, I agree with you, either state is wonderful. My parents still live in TN and I visit as often as I can. Although I never to get to go visit minis.

Well Karen, if Dave and I ever get moved up there, you'll have to come visit when you go to see your folks. Would love to see you - it's been a long time.

We're heading north next week to Ohio to see Dave's sister, then down to Tam's in Sweetwater for several days. I need my TN fix bad. Not going to get my NC fix this year.

Barbie

Latest posts

Back