Looking for pictures of 8-month old feet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyHorses

Reaction score
I just got an 8 month old filly last week (she's maybe 30", about 110 lbs). I have big horses and haven't seen mini feet in a while, plus I haven't seen a mini's feet this young.

They look very hollow on the inside. Looks like hoof wall, no sole, and a very tiny recessed frog.

Is that how they are supposed to look?

I have not seen any difference in mini, pony, or large horse feet, except perhaps the mini foals do seem to have a much faster hoof-growth. I can barely keep up with keeping the toes from getting too long. Actually, as far as the frog goes, I find that they do seem to be even larger in the mini foals, than in other breeds I have seen.

It sounds like perhaps your new mini did not have proper, or regular, farrier care. Do the heels look contracted? I would have a farrier out ASAP.

I would have them checked. Sounds like they are really in need of trimming. What you are describing is what a couple of mine were like when I weaned (maybe not as long) and then got them trimmed. I watch mine as weanlings, but don't get them trimmed until I wean them unless I see a problem.

I watch mine as weanlings, but don't get them trimmed until I wean them unless I see a problem.
Perhaps it makes a difference in where you are; and what they eat...but I have already had my foals feet trimmed twice, and they aren't quite three months old yet. And these are very nice, perfectly straight feet, with no problems, not corrective trimmings. The thing is; they simply grow so FAST! I find that the feet are so soft and malleable, that any irregularity can end up causing permenant defects if left too long. (eg: possibly the feet on your weanling)

I am not saying what is going on right now with her feet is permanent, but any changes to be done, such as angles etc..., is best done prior to the first birthday.

I agree that all changing and fixing should be done by 1st birthday. In fact, much earlier than that. Some need doing before their 1st month birthday. I have the farrier out within a week or two of weaning. I don't wait very long. I have also had 5 already trimmed--way before weaning--as they appeared to be having some problems. I watch all my horses very closely. Especially the little ones.

So, would someone mind posting a picture of the bottom of a healthy, 8-month old hoof?

Thanks
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back