Looking for new friend

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
My little therapy mini horse mare passed away unexpectedly of health complications. She gave joy to so many. It was bad enough to lose her but now I have her companion that is missing her terribly.

I am not in a hurry BUT I would like to find that special little mini mare that is a rescue and/or needs to find a good home. Maybe no older that mid-teens and in good health. It would break my heart to say good bye again to another friend. She would be a companion for my little gelding mini (he doesn't do well with other males). She need to have confidence enough to visit new places, people, other animals and events without stressing her out. She would have her forever home and be spoiled rotten.

We live on the south side of Tucson, AZ.

Please let me know if you have or know of such a sweet mare. Many blessings and thank you in advance.

I found a new little project mare. She is not my other little mare, but she will help take away the hurt of her loss. She is about 3 or 4 yr old and in very rough shape. From what I gather over the last several weeks she has come from Billings, Mt Livestocks and has been through many hands and traveled a great distance. When I got her she was scared and did not want anything to do with people. I don't believe she has been handled alot. She is not mean just scared. She is very smart and has a very sweet soul. I got her home and wormed and vaccinated her with no issues. I will post as I update her progress.

She was so icky looking when we got her. She smelled like she came out of dairy feedlot. Along with our clothes just being around her. We cleaned her hooves. They are so bad she no longer has any frogs and I doubt her feet have been trimmed in over a year. She has one real bad iffy back hoof, but our farrier comes Tuesday. Today’s task was to clean her. Roached mane and forlock. They were beyond salvaging. We shampooed, rinsed, medicated shampoo and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes, rinse again, cream rinse, rinse again. Squeegee and towel dry and you have one mad, but clean mini.

She's very lucky to have found you. Please keep us posted on how she's doing? Such a sweet little girl.

She has a very sweet face! Looking forward to seeing her transformation as you give her all the care she has missed out on. So glad she landed with you!

Let us know how it goes with the farrier.

She may just end up being your newest heart horse! 🐴 😁 Congratulations to all of you! Has she met your gelding? How are they doing? He'll tell her how good you are with him and then she'll know all is well! Keep us posted please! :)

So these are before and after pictures after the farrier came. She does have one contracted hind hoof. Our farrier said in time with exercise and regular trims it should correct itself. So now she is in a soft big turn out so she can self exercise doing the day while we are at work. We are also learning to walk on lead line and learning command such as whoa. Here are some update photos

Attachments

• E0E75E36-A28F-4758-A094-E7C5221186B4.jpeg
    E0E75E36-A28F-4758-A094-E7C5221186B4.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 31430893-501B-47E6-9A45-73FD6805C1F7.jpeg
    31430893-501B-47E6-9A45-73FD6805C1F7.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 13
  • FA2E6CF6-05CE-4545-95C0-7F2AD78B937F.jpeg
    FA2E6CF6-05CE-4545-95C0-7F2AD78B937F.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 81E1B710-D323-4230-A124-D3F3D32D258F.jpeg
    81E1B710-D323-4230-A124-D3F3D32D258F.jpeg
    339.8 KB · Views: 14
  • EAA051AA-54C2-420A-BF83-C860EF041665.jpeg
    EAA051AA-54C2-420A-BF83-C860EF041665.jpeg
    515.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 1516E953-49E3-4C01-A17D-70E98540A4F2.jpeg
    1516E953-49E3-4C01-A17D-70E98540A4F2.jpeg
    597 KB · Views: 18
Being she came from auction, Billings is reputable, but still an auction; please, please, please quarantine her for 3-4 weeks, and keep your other equine safe.
She is lovely, and just the color I'm looking for in my next mini, if I add another to my not very small herd.
How far did she travel? Billings is far enough for me, 6+ hours, but I'm still in state.

Being she came from auction, Billings is reputable, but still an auction; please, please, please quarantine her for 3-4 weeks, and keep your other equine safe.
She is lovely, and just the color I'm looking for in my next mini, if I add another to my not very small herd.
How far did she travel? Billings is far enough for me, 6+ hours, but I'm still in state.
About 1000 miles in 10 days. She will be

What causes that hollowed out hoof condition?

Brian W
Mostly over grown hooves. Just left too long, and in an otherwise healthy mini, they just don't weigh enough, so hoof walls often don't flare and turn into "elf shoes". Being they are just long and overgrown, but not flared or "elf shoe", she'll probably come correct in a few trims with few side effects.

What causes that hollowed out hoof condition?

Brian W
The horse I had also had a dislocated shoulder and was not moving properly, which exacerbated the neglected hooves. The vet did not find this, a chiropractor found it and corrected it. Then I was given some training instructions to strengthen the atrophied muscles, visits of a Barefoot trimmer every 4 weeks, and in less than a year his hooves looked great. So, don't overlook the possibility of a body out of whack.
btw, I am 20 miles from you in Hobart!

Mostly over grown hooves. Just left too long, and in an otherwise healthy mini, they just don't weigh enough, so hoof walls often don't flare and turn into "elf shoes". Being they are just long and overgrown, but not flared or "elf shoe", she'll probably come correct in a few trims with few side effects.

Got it! Thanks for responding.

Brian W

The horse I had also had a dislocated shoulder and was not moving properly, which exacerbated the neglected hooves. The vet did not find this, a chiropractor found it and corrected it. Then I was given some training instructions to strengthen the atrophied muscles, visits of a Barefoot trimmer every 4 weeks, and in less than a year his hooves looked great. So, don't overlook the possibility of a body out of whack.
btw, I am 20 miles from you in Hobart!

Hi Marsha & howdy neighbor - I am getting a distinct impression that minis are small, but have a major hoof growth rate. BTW, I visit, even ride my Morgan at Martha most days lately - in this gentle weather.

Brian W

Latest posts

Back