Looking for certain type of lead line for show halters..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Richelle

Reaction score
Okay this may sound like a silly question but I know they are sold somewhere as I saw them last year but never got around to buying one...

Okay on the show halters most of us use, the cable ones (most) come with those awful plastic and or leather leads you know the ones that don't bend! We have the more "cheap" ones, that are plastic IF you can call them cheap ( $75) for one! And in my opinion it wasn't that fancy. Anyway every year when me and my mom are at the shows getting the boy's "makeup" on it tends to be everywhere. Even after we use baby wipes. The gel seems to appear right when we are in the classes and gets all over those leads and our hands are always slipping.

So my question is does anyone know a site where I can get those leads in a different material more like a nylon type or anything that isn't leather or plastic? I looked at stud chain leads but the chain part was just too long and there is already the chain that hangs down off our halters.

Hope you guys can help
default_smile.png
thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a top grade dog lead- I just unstitched the hand loop at the end. I have always used these and leather does not slip as badly as plastic. Having said that I do actually think my best lead rein is one that came with a halter and is, I think, betathane- the one that is not shiny- is that beat or bio?? - anyway, that one is great too, but I still love my dog leads.

I use leather leads that I get from places like Star Lake Tack and never have a problem with them slipping, even when covered in make-up. I use them for all kinds of classes, including jumper. Maybe it is because most of my leather leads have been chewed on, but I don't think they slipped when new either! I highly recommend the ones with the buckle ends though, because the snaps can come undone IN the ring.

ETA - mine cost about $20 or even less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have mine made locally, about $10.00 each by the amish....can make them anyway you like!

Thanks for the replies guys!
default_smile.png
I will look into the leather ones, as the ones we have are just a pain.

I don't know where you paid $75 for a biothane ("plastic") lead, but you should be able to find something more your style, for a lot less.

Personally, I prefer leather. I don't care for the biothane because it does get slippery.

Betathane is the leather-like plastic material also used, but although rubbery, it's not shiny and slick like the biothane is.

Personally, I try to shop at minitack.com (Ozark) whenever possible because of the price, fit, and quality. Highly recommended!

Andrea

When it comes to leads I can't stress how much I love betathane. Like the biothane its very durable and easy to clean, however, its not slippery and has a rough leather feel. Its extremely soft and flexible, I can wipe it clean with a baby wipe and have it dry in a second, and it stands up to a large amount of abuse. I get mine from a dealer that comes to the Scottsdale Arabian Show every year, but I have the email and websites for several people who sell/make them. Since its for showing you'll want black, however, you can get it in any color you want. I have halters made from the betathane too and I always get them in fun colors
default_smile.png

I don't know where you paid $75 for a biothane ("plastic") lead, but you should be able to find something more your style, for a lot less.

Personally, I prefer leather. I don't care for the biothane because it does get slippery.

Betathane is the leather-like plastic material also used, but although rubbery, it's not shiny and slick like the biothane is.

Personally, I try to shop at minitack.com (Ozark) whenever possible because of the price, fit, and quality. Highly recommended!

Andrea

Oh no no I bought the halter/lead together, there is no way I'd pay that for just a lead haha but thank you for the advice.

Latest posts

Back