Looking for advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyLittlePita

Reaction score
Hi - my farm neighbour's dogs sometimes run across our farm property chasing after rabbits, or whatever dogs chase after. Most of the time we see the dogs a fair distance away from our horse's turnout area, but yesterday they were after something that was quite close to her. She doesn't like strange dogs and started racing around her pen and calling out. My husband calmed her down and chased the dogs away. My concern is that she may hurt herself racing around - especially since her turnout area is quite muddy. Would anyone have any suggestions on what I could say in a short letter to my neighbour expressing my concern. We have mentioned to him about his dogs on previous occasions - but we still see his dogs from time to time. The neighbour is an elderly man who is hard of hearing - a nice enough guy - but weird. I don't want to cause bad feelings between neighbours, but I would like to let him know I've just about had enough.

Any suggestions?

...chris

Just a couple of thoughts...

My comments are made assuming the dogs have not been chasing your mare -- if they have been, forget the kid gloves, but assuming the dogs are just running nearby without chasing...

Start out by saying you're a dog lover and that you're concerned about their safety. Your first concern is that many farmers in the area will shoot dogs running on their land without warning and that you're afraid for his dogs.

Next, tell him you are concerned that your horse could injure or kill his dogs.

Then tell him that your mare gets very worked up and that you are worried that she could be injured, and therefore you absolutely cannot allow his dogs to run on your property. As much as you love dogs, you will do what your must to protect your own animals (and children if you have them).

This gives him a chance first to be a good neighbor, but still tells him that things must change. Again, if they are actually chasing or harassing your mare, it's a different story.

This is assuming that (as susanne said) the dogs are not chasing your mare. I would not approach him again if you have already done so. I would set up a fence that will stop the dogs. An electric fence is quite inexpensive to put up, doesn't need to enclose anything just 3 strands one about 10" above the ground and the next perhaps 16" and the last about 28" (the size of the dogs and their inclination to jump over would be my criteria for deciding height) I find that most dogs will avoid an electric fence after getting zapped by it a couple of times. That or a mesh fence down the property line between you and your neighbour should deter the dogs with out causing hard feelings. If he has been there for a while and his dogs have 'always' run free, you may be fighting a loosing battle trying to get him to change. If the fence fails then you can tell him you have done your part to prevent them accessing your property and now its up to him to see they stay home. JMO

Thank you for your advice - I will take your suggestions into consideration. (FYI the dogs are not chasing my mare so that's not the problem - she just gets really upset that there are strange dogs running nearby. We are on a farm and it is not feasible to fence the property.)

...chris

Thank you for your advice - I will take your suggestions into consideration. (FYI the dogs are not chasing my mare so that's not the problem - she just gets really upset that there are strange dogs running nearby. We are on a farm and it is not feasible to fence the property.)...chris
I see you are in Canfield which is just around the corner from me. There are laws here preventing people from letting their dogs run loose. If you have already spoken to this man "on previous occasionS" (more than once!) and he is not keeping his dogs at home then you are well within your rights to call the bylaw officer in Cayuga and report him. Try sending him a letter with the type of thoughts that Suzanne expressed and, if that doesn't work, report him. You can do it anonymously so he won't KNOW it was you (although he will likely suspect) and won't likely retaliate but it will solve your problem. They will ask you to document your experiences so you should start now by making note of when his dogs are off his or on your property.

Latest posts

Back