Looking for a special dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifflunn

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a dog that can fill the following characteristics
default_smile.png

Wanted:

Must be a large dog over 100 pounds ( will have a larger brother 200 pd mastiff, who likes bigger dogs not very happy with the little guys
default_wacko.png
: )- not a very high prey drive (have little animals
default_wink.png
: ). Needs to fill the posistion of alarm- not guard- but alarm ( big mastiff couldn't care less why mommy and daddy have to be up in the middle of the night with baseball bats and goes back to sleep :eek: - ahh but when the big bad water truck comes during the day- he is all that ) Tolorent of kids . We have been harrassing the local shettlers for about 4 months now- and unfortunately for us there doesn't seem to be a large breed that needs to be rehomed right now that fits our needs (will keep looking)- and we have decided that due to a few circumstances we need to put a little more effort into finding a second dog.

So what does everyone have out there that might work?

Thanks for your input :bgrin

Tiffany

I know a few different paople that own a great pyranese. What a wonderful dog!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Prys love to bark but not always a good thing. I got a rescue doberchild not long ago. She is 6 mos old and not a dog but my child. She has learned to sound that viscious bark for me when needed and I love her dearly. A dobe is NOT for everyone tho. Keep looking the right dog will find you! Have you thought of petfinder.com?

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the Great Pyrenees! We have two and love them. I would recommend checking into the breed and see if they are the one for you.

How about a Great Dane ? My Dane , Jenna is everything that you mentioned , she is 140 pounds and 36 " at the shoulder. She lets me know when when there is something in the yard or people here by barking but is not aggressive and would never attack anyone. She is great around smaller critters , only worry that she would hurt them because of her size , not that she would try to intentionally kill anything and totally ignores my mini's and goats. ( unless I make her pose with them for pics :bgrin ) I actually worry about them hurting her ! She loves to play with dogs of any size. And she is a wonderful house dog. I know that not all Great Danes are like her though but I think that goes for any breed of dog , you have your good and your bad , I just happened to get the perfect one for us !
default_yes.gif
:

Jennwithbabies.jpg

Edit to add : I like the short hair coat , easy to manage !
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not get another mastiff? Based on your list of wants that is the first breed that came to mind.
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

My suggestion would be a "Connie" (Cane Corso)...except for one of the things you mentioned...she does guard. Lakota is an alarm PLUS a Guardian rolled up all in one little 130 lb. body!!!

ARe you telling me that big 'ol Storm is sleeping on the job?!!! That silly boy!!! :bgrin

Thanks Guys- petfinder and I have been very intimate lately LOL - some wonderful animals just to far to go- did put in an application on a local saint- still waiting to hear back.

Runamuk- yep we are considering another mastiff-but afraid that one will sleep through the night to LOL- never thought they would sleep so soundly

And yep Sterling-Storm is sleeping on the job :eek: :bgrin

There is actually a Cane Corso/ Great Pyrenees mix puppies a couple of towns over that we might wonder over and see this week- it seems that

I have also been considering the Great Dane and Anotolin(sp)

Thanks for all your input- :bgrin

www.dogsindanger.com is a website I just found out about today. It has dogs in very urgent need. It's a sad website, as it has those that are soon to be put down and "in memorium" for those that didn't get adopted. :no:

Good luck in your search!

I have a male and female Great Pyr. To me, they are the perfect dog to serve my needs. The male barks and guards the horses from other animals. The female barks and guards against cars and people. Neither of them would ever attack or harm a person, but not sure about another animal(ie coyote, cows, strange dogs). I did check into an anatolian, but research found them to be overly protective of their owners, so it worried me of small children or outside visitors.

Only downfall of the Great Pyr, is the long hair. It does require daily grooming. When shedding season comes, it looks like snow in the horse pen in the middle of summer
default_yes.gif
:

I have a border collie, not really a large dog, medium but he barks when someone comes to the door, etc. We also have a yorkiepoo and he thinks he is a guard dog even though he only weighs about 10 pounds. :bgrin My parents have a bull mastiff and use to have a border collie and they got along great. They still have the bull mastiff and now have a jack russel terrier and they also get along fine. Border collies are good with kids, active, get along well with horses, at least mine does and so did my parents.

Latest posts

Back