Looking For a Place To Train Our Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyviewminis

Reaction score
My husband surprisingly wanted me to ask on here if anyone has ideas of trainers we could send or horses to for training to drive. I know a little of driving and have trained horses most of my life, but never combined the two. I know of a lady in Winnemucca two hours east of Reno that sent a horse to Patty Cloak for training, but wondered if there are any others out there anyone knows of that could train our horses. We would love to learn too, but we live in the middle of nowhere and clinics are too far away to be of much use.

And could anyone give me some price quotes on the ranges of prices to train a horse to drive. Just pleasure driving at this point, nothing fancy.

Other than that, what are the best DVD's to buy to learn? Green on Green does equal black and blue, but if I have no other alternative I guess I would have to stock up on bandaids lol.

There is a trainer here in Southern Oregon, which would be a lot closer to you. Her name is Mary Anne Morrison, at Aranaway Farm in Grants Pass. She has been my mentor through this driving adventure and is a very good trainer. I think she is in the $350-400/month range.

I am not sure if I can be of much help due to location, but I know of two.

First is Lori Rafter in Canada. She has trained horses from the USA and she truly has a gift. She can "fix" some of the most troubled horses and truly does great work. Has experience in both breed shows and CDEs. Also, she is very reasonable at $300-350/month and offers plenty of feed, turnout and excercise. She is also a farrier and takes care of her client's horses at no charge. Great to work with, and worth her weight in gold.
default_aktion033.gif
It is hard to find a GREAT trainer, that can work with almost any horse.

The other is Jason Prince in Illinois. Not sure of his rates, but I have been impressed with many of his horses over the years.
default_aktion033.gif

Best of luck.
default_saludando.gif

Thank you. I haven't shown since I was very young at AQHA shows, so wondered, owners sending horses for training probably utilize haulers don't they? I get a little obsessive with my horses care if I am not there, have had some not-so-good horse sitters before. I appreciate the information, sounds like some good places.

I would just like to add a testimonial for Patty Cloke. I have known her for quite a few years now, and when I decided to start a show horse I put her with Patty. In Flirty's 1st year as a 3yo, she went Reserve Champion All-Star in Ladies Single Pleasure, as well as 3rd in Ammy SP, and 4ths in Open and Mares. We went to Nationals, and Flirty earned multiple top-tens in Ammy including Versatility, a top ten in open halter, and was Reserve National Champion Country Pleasure Driving Mare. I live really close to Patty, which is wonderful. I no longer have any horses in training, but we are very good friends. Patty takes wonderful care of the horses. They have large grassy turnouts, a beautiful arena, and the trailer they go to shows in is state-of-the-art. I just went down to the McKenzie River AMHA show with her this past weekend. We had so much fun at the show, the crew and clients that train with her are wonderful. She trains horses from all over the US, and has produced MANY National and World Championships. She is an outstanding trainer, a fantastic coach, and is very personable and involved with her clients. I really believe you will not be sorry if you put your horse with Patty. And I can tell you with all assurances that the horses are meticulously cared for. The training costs are reasonable for someone of her caliber, and she will NOT nickel and dime you. Her costs are all-inclusive, including deworming and hoof trimming. Make sure you KNOW what you are getting when you sign a contract with anyone. Once you look at what you get with Patty, her prices seem fantastic!

Best of luck with your search. Right this moment is probably going to be tough to find a breed show trainer that will take a new horse, as they are all traveling to the Nationals and World shows. I know Patty runs a "boot camp" special for the winter months, particularly aimed at making it affordable for the folks that want their horses started but then want to continue on by themselves. The special will also apply to new clients that want to continue through the show year.
default_smile.png

Can you give more detail on the winter boot camp? I assumed they were all booked and at the height of their showing season about now. A lady two hours from me had a gelding that could be a twin for mine with Patty year before last I think. I have ordered her DVD's also.

Her DVDs are fantastic, and I can tell you that it reflects exactly the progression she still goes through with each horse.

You should get a hold of her and talk to her about boot camp. Tell her I referred you, Amy Lacy. Here is a link to her web site: http://www.clokestables.com

A trainer that I would recommend is Corey Hatfield of Sugar Lake Farm and Training Center. He does a great job with his horses. He has references from clients to back his reputation. He shows at Nationals, Congress, and tons of local shows in the Mid-West.

His contact information is:

Cell: (618)340-2877

Edited by Mod-You're not allowed to post links to sale pages. Thanks!

Email: [email protected]

Cell (Corey): (618)340-2877

email: [email protected]

Cell (Corey): (618)340-2877

Cell (Corey): (618)340-2877Cell (Corey): (618)340-2877

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back