Looking for a good driving bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHunterHorseFan

Reaction score
My mom is looking for a good bit to drive her mini with, but she is not sure what type to buy. She said she wants a 4in snaffle type bit that you can attach a chain to. She looked everywhere for a Kimberwick but cannot find that size. Someone suggested a butterfly bit. Does anyone know about that type of bit? Can you show in the ring with one?

A curb chain will be absolutely useless unless you are using a curb bit. A butterfly would suffice but I need to ask - why does she need a chain? Perhaps she needs to look at a bit of retraining for her horse if he is not heeding the bit. Curb chains are not allowed in the AMHR show ring, bits are to be of the snaffle type.

I always start mine in an eggbutt snaffle. I have even shown most of my minis in an eggbutt snaffle.

You cannot have a chain anyway in the show ring... must be a snaffle type bit.

If you need more "advanced" bits for the show ring, look at the Myler bits.

Andrea

Half cheek copper snaffel....wonderful bit and easy on the horse...lots of ground driving ,and light hands make a light horse. If your horse is trained correctly , you should never need anything stronger than a half cheek snaffel , even for a stallion. and you can show in it
default_wink.png

Sometimes its easier having the curb. In fact I just bought a butterfly to use on my horse for CDE events, we are competing at training level and my horse likes to canter, I have tendinitis in my hands and sometimes she gets strong pulls a bit, my horse also HATES single jointed bits with a passion, she hates a straight Mullen also. I do have a ported myler knock off for breed shows and most driving but sometimes we need a little more. The curb also allows for less hand movement on my part. It really is no fun trying to drive a dressage test with your fingers and hands completely numb, or when you are out in the hazards etc. My horse is very well trained, she just gets excited. In some cases, for ADS driving and general purpose driving some horses are trained with a curb, if you never plan on going in the show ring what does it matter what type bit you have, as long as you aren't ripping the horses face off, or the horse isn't running away with you. I found the butterfly type bit at Iowa Valley Carriage Company, I could gush and gush over them but I won't, I will say the customer service is excellent. They do have the biggest selection of mini sized bits I could find though.

Karen

She has been using a copper snaffle but Bobbie Ferraro, who is a driving training here, has been helping her with her horse and said that he needs a stronger bit because he is a strong horse, and very fast. And she recommended the Kimberwick, but my mom can't find the proper size. If someone drove with the butterfly bit with the chain for training, could they drive in the AMHR show ring with the bit without the chain? Because it is a snaffle type bit.

I didn't see a butterfly listed at Chimicum Tack, I saw a liverpool but not a butterfly.

You can't show AMHR with a butterfly, even without the curb chain, its still a curb bit. You might want to try a ported bit, like the mylers, those are AMHR legal. You might could get away with the Kimberwick if you took the curb chain and hooks off for a show but then you are back to a simple snaffle and it might not work.

This is the website for Iowa Valley, http://www.iowavalleycarriage.com/index.php They have the biggest selection of mini bits.

Snaffle does not refer to the mouthpiece, although over the years it has come to mean that for many people, but the way the bit is hung from the bridle. A butterfly bit is a curb action bit. With or without the chain it is illegal in AMHR. If your mom's horse is objecting to a broken mouthpiece why not try a french link or a mullen mouth rather than going to a stronger bit. I can understand needing a stronger bit on cross country courses where a horse may need the stronger action to keep him minding when he is excited but for the breed show ring he should be well enough trained to accept and listen to the milder bit.

Latest posts

Back