Looking For A Better Tool To Trim A Hoof

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at nipper alternates. This is the best candidate so far. A Walmart "Hypertough" brand angle grinder and 1.5 amp.hr li-ion battery , (about $40) and a flap disk about $10. The gold colored wheel has more aggressive teeth, but it tends to jump, when used single handed. The abrasive flap wheel is smoother in the hand. I was pleased to find my horse does not mind the high whine of the spinning wheel. The weight at four pounds is as heavy as you can willingly hold for a few minutes.

I took a farrier class a while back thinking I wanted to start trimming my minis, but that hasn’t happened yet 🤣 We have just been so busy with contractors, building the barn, and getting settled in our new house. I didn’t really want to use nippers, they were just so big and awkward for me. I learned a really neat tip from the class, the instructor told us to use bonsai clippers on the minis! They are so much smaller than nippers and fit in my little hands perfectly. 😍

Reactions: Taz
My horses hooves are too tough for anything but hoofer nippers, but have had great luck with the Nordic Forge 12" Viking nipper; nice and sharp, and not too big for my hands.
Currently out of stock here, I think this is where I bought, but would have to look in my records: 12" Nordic Viking Hoof Nippers | Anvil Brand | Anvil Brand - World's Best Hoofcare Store™
I would like to try a cordless grinder some time, but so far, I've not found one that looks like it would work for me. The one pictured above, looks promising, may have to give it closer consideration.

Latest posts

Back