Look, Look, Look

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow ( as my daughter would say ). You plan on making money with your minis? I have to admit - that was my first thought when deciding " to get in to these little cutesters." I have not had my three long enough to be blessed with a foal yet - and if I am so blessed eventually - I know that the LAST thing I will be pondering is how much can I get for this one?! ( Ok - I will ponder - but I will be fast in love with the little tike by then. ) Shhhhh - we wont tell hubby this!

Any of us that have our own homes - have taxes. Put a little away each check and there ya go. Easier said then done I know. I know it hurts when people give you their opionion on breeding ect. but on this forum it is par for the course. I think most of us just want to look out for each other and if we think some one may be out in left field, well we want to help them out so to speak...

Good luck in your future and by the way, cute filly!

She's already been tested for Homozygosity?? Wow that breeder is right on the ball then! Desiree if you ever think you can make money at breeding horses go ahead and try. I've been doing it for 25 years and Nope- it can't be done. Not unless you are willing to sell horses deceitfully, ie lie about things, and I do know some people will do that as you get the results turning up on this Forum, you obviously have not done your homework but, you go ahead and try. I'll see you in the bankruptcy court. And yes, you did invite comments on this by posting what you were intending to do.

Thank you for sending me tips, warnings & your thoughts on my family getting back into breeding. They are useful. but..

frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif

Please Stop!

Sorry, But we ARE getting into breeding minis next year. That is the end of if. I didn't post saying "I'm getting into mini, Do you think its a good idea?"[SIZE=14pt] NO![/SIZE] I posted "Look, Look, Look What I might get" Meaning the filly!! I made one little a comment!!!! Now over half of you here breed... So why can't some one new??? Even if its not for money, than for the love of the breed! If we have a still birth, well you know we learn! Yes It will hurt, & sorry CharmedMinis I'm not aiming this at you or trying to be hurtful to those who have had this happen. I'm just saying!

Oh and for information on the filly, I have only been sent 2 e-mail, I could post them! They tell me she will be 33", That the owner has bought her dam bred to the same sire, that she is for sale, that I have first dibs, That she has amazing pedigree-I don't know it, that what I was told! If any info is wrong, that’s what I was told!

I have never heard of a good breeder, or some one who know horses, Breeding horses at yearlings. That is sick! You guys should know by now that I wouldn't be sick or cruel to our horses. I did post that we were get some broodmares to breed...o-well, whatever..

I Hate being mean or rude like this... But Please Don't Comment on Breeding. Just the filly if you want.

Oh, & Marty
wink.gif
Don't worry, I won't tell your husband! It'll be our secret!
biggrin.gif

Desiree

She is lovely! I love pintos! Can I have her if you don't get her? LOL

Good Luck in your endevours, I have had my one lonely stallion for 2 yrs. now, and have just recently bought my first mare. She's black and white.

For the last 2 yrs. I have been working with other peoples horses, and I know how hard it can be to get started with your own. GOOD LUCK

Oh me, have to put my thoughts here!

People are giving away horses and even mini's they can't sell. Hundreds of horses wind up in bad homes, people don't understand what it takes to care for them, they grow up, winter comes and the horses go.

If being bred for money only what are you getting. Quanity and not quality. I feel so sorry for these ponies who for the most will wind up in unfit homes and when the newness wears off be sent to auction.

And yes ponies and mini's go to slaughter.

There must be a better way to pay your taxes than sacrificing your horses.

JMHO and that's it.

Been doing this for many years..Have laughed and cryed and held them while they died...and watched them run and play with a smile on my face. Is the reason I am up in the morning going to the barn, its my passion and my love. Have bred and shown and just had them...breaks my heart to see them sent to auctions and to slaughter all in the name of breeding and making a buck..and when that doesn't happen the circle begins all over again...another throw away animal..then reality hits you in the face very few make money...especially without putting it back in ...in showing...advertising...and a years of experience, it doesn't happen overnight...it doesn't happen because they can be bred....Look at the papers with all the horses for sale for $100 look at the rescues that due to lack of money or care...are not taken care of...not because the people decided they didn't care...but because they thought they could afford it was easy..its not easy and putting a stallion and a mare together and having a live foal does not make you a breeder. If you need help paying your taxes...where will a sick horse end up on the money scale? You say you have all of these people who can do things for free...but honey that gets old fast...

please take the money you are spending on the horses and pay your taxes..

Sorry if I offended you...but have seen way to much pain and suffering thru my 60 years to innocent animals...didn't start off that way...but due to lack of knowledge and money problems these things can happen...So as the saying goes...Bless the Beast and the Children as they have No Voice...

Cute! And to everyones comments..[SIZE=21pt]WOW![/SIZE]

some of them nice (very good tips)

but a lot were...

new_argue.gif

new_argue.gif

new_argue.gif

I would giveup if I was you.

giveup.gif

I hope your feeling were not hurt bad midnight star stables
no.gif

Good Luck in your future with the CUTE mini!
biggrin.gif

Stephanie~

Thank you.

frusty.gif
giveup.gif
frusty.gif
giveup.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Like I said, It IS happening.[/SIZE] The End. Do you not think we don't know a good seller from a bad?! I get references, meet, talk to, e-mail, photos, etc. Like I also said, We did Breed & sell before!
new_shocked.gif
Wow & not just for money, FOR THE LOVE OF THE BREED! If we I get references, meet, talk to, e-mail, photos, etc & a horse ends up at an auction, how is that our fault? We tried our best to give a good home, with a contract that says we will be first to buy it back, & we stay in contact. Heck that’s ALOT more than what some breeders do! I can't believe some of you guys are so against my family trying to breed some minis, to better the breed, not some un-reg grade ponies, Good quality minis!

I am so ... grrr

Shocked

I was sharing Good new with you! that’s all!

I'm having this deleted or closed

And I'm leaving

If I was anyone else, getting into breeding minis, I would be appalled by how rude some of you guys are being... Right now, I don't care... I know what you guy can be like, It doesn't bug me, But really, a warning is one thing! This is quite Mean.

Desiree
no.gif

That filly is very sweet
smile.gif

I am truly sorry if you feel that some are jumping on your for your own words...

"Our family is going to start breeding minis for sale to pay for our taxes, in our new house the taxes are 4 x what they should be, so even in selling one foal for 500$, it helps... You all will frame me here, but 13 years ago we DID buy, breed & sell... we had over 45 horses & ponies... feeding $ is cheep, Shoeing & trimming is really cheap, & we have a family friend who is a vet... etc..

My family, not just me, has talk about this & it is our choice... OUR CHOICE.

Next spring we are buying 2-5 bred mares & will foal them out... our fillys are to take to shows & get our name out..."

I also live in Ontario and feeding is not "cheap" unless you are comparing to feeding full size horses (which I also have), so in that respect yes it is less expensive to feed minis and yes it is less expensive in farrier since you do not have to shoe minis but it is still approxiately $25 per visit per horse and should be done every 8 weeks and depending on the amount of minis you have it can amount up faster than you think, unless you plan on doing your own minis feet but that is not something I would suggest unless you take a course or apprentice with someone for awhile who knows the ins and outs. That is VERY important especially for the young ones as you don't want to make any major mistakes in their "formative" years. Whether the vet is your family friend that person still has to make a "living" and will probably charge, perhaps less for his or her time but the annual vaccinations (vaccines) I would think would have to cover the cost of the purchase. As others have mentioned one unexpected illness with a mini and it can deplete your bank account pretty quick and be a burden on the finances.

Nobody is saying NOT to breed but because of YOUR words in your post they just wanted you and your family to perhaps realize that it's not so simple to just breed minis and "make" money and that nobody should get "into" minis with that as a main goal because the reality is usually the opposite - you end up "spending" more money on them than you make in sales. You basically won't know for a few years anyway because purchasing "2-5 bred mares" will be more costly than the possible "$500" you mention in selling the first foals. It will take you a couple of years to see if your plan is viable or not so as others have said be prepared to spend more $$$ than perhaps you had planned on in the beginning and hope that you have no unforseen emergencies or foal deaths at birth, etc.

I hope you take my post as it is meant, as a reminder that not all is "rosie" in breeding miniature horses, I know I cried for 3 days straight when we lost our first foal born on our place. Angie above said it very well about the heartache that can and does occur with loving this wonderful breed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back