Longtime Lurker - First Time Poster!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesFamily

Reaction score
Hello!

We are the Charles family from Ohio. I've been hanging around here for a long time and have learned so much and I'm so excited that I finally have a reason to post!

I've owned horses all my life, and a long time ago BC (before children) I had gotten into the minis and did some showing and breeding. Then time got short and I've just been waiting for my girls to grow up so I could get them involved in the horses, too.

We've owned a QH gelding for a few years that they learned to ride on, but the little ones have always had a special place in my heart and we recently made the decision that it was time to jump back in. A few weeks ago, I posted an ad on the sale board looking for a weanling colt that I could raise to be a show gelding for my girls. I got so many wonderful responses. It was like being a kid in a candy store - I wanted them all!

But when Sheryl, from Irish Hills Farm, agreed to let her 2 year old gelding, Irish Hills Toys in the Attic, come live with us, I just couldn't pass that up! We had a chance to meet Sheryl and Toy at the Greenville show and knew that he would be just what we needed. We just had to wait for him to make the big trip to Nationals (where he had a great show!). Now, I can officially introduce him as he is finally home!

A HUGE thank you to Sheryl for letting this gorgeous gelding come and make two little girls very happy! And a HUGE thank you to Ernie Lambdin for dropping Toy off on his way back home from Tulsa. He is settling in just great and enjoying all the hugs and kisses he's been getting.

The girls are already planning for next show season. We're hoping to get Toy started in some performance training - they think jumping and obstacle classes, and of course driving, look like great fun. I'm going to try and post a picture of the girls and Toy getting to know each other.

th_IMG_2087.jpg

th_IMG_2083.jpg

Barbara, Olivia and Maddy Charles (husband, Todd, but he just tolerates our obsession right now
default_wink.png
)

Sounds like a fantastic start and I'm so happy for you.

You may find your husband an "observer" right now but, trust me, he will soon appreciate how much easier it is to have his daughters out with a horse than a boy.
default_laugh.png

Remember, you have two daughters and Toy would love another one his size.....
default_wink.png
I mean, two can travel as easy as one.......

WELCOME from Maine...glad to have you dive back into the wonderful world of minis!
default_saludando.gif

Welcome from Ohio! Wishing you the best with your new horse

Kay

Looks like you have done your homework and are making a great start into the miniature world.

We have a 4 H group here in Southwestern Ontario and of the 15 members, 14 were girls.

They did a super job with the little horses and only one of them had owned a mini previous to the club.

We think that's what it's all about, seeing the young people with the little horses and all the good training that caring for these little guys gives them.

Congratulations on your new horse and welcome to the board! Now let's see how long before you just have to have another LOL.
default_smile.png
:)
default_wink.png

Welcome Barbara and family.
default_saludando.gif
Glad to hear that Toy is settling in well and everyone is happy.
default_yes.gif

I can't wait to see you guys up in OH showing next year. Maybe you guys can go to Nationals next year with Toy!

Welcome from New Hampshire!! What lucky children to be brought up with horses and to be in the Miniature horse world!!!!

Sounds like you will all have a blast with such a beautiful horse!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Joyce

I wanted to say - Welcome from Missouri!

I am with ConnieP - I can't wait to see how long before you add your second one also...lol.

Welcome from sunny Arizona. I'm with ConnieP and LisaF and can hardly wait to see how long it takes to get a second one.
default_laugh.png

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Trust me - I know how addictive these little guys are! Last time I did this I started with one and had 7 within 3 years! I'm sure another horse will be in the future, but right now I'm saving my pennies so I can purchase a nice cart and harness for Toy!

The best thing that has come around since I did this last is the internet! I feel SO much more knowledgable now, mostly thanks to this forum. It used to be so difficult to network, find breeders, tack, etc. It's SO much easier now!

Anyway, thank you for the welcome! I feel like I already know all of you and your horses, so I look forward to joining in some discussions.

Welcome from NY
default_saludando.gif
Congratulations on your new boy!! The girls will have so much fun with him. Good luck to them at the shows next year
default_laugh.png
Anything you want to know you can find it here on the forum
default_smile.png

Hello! Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to be!

I'm in Ohio also! Where in Ohio are you located? I am in McComb, which is NW of Findlay.

I am sure you will enjoy being a part of this forum. It becomes addicting though, I am always on here reading!
default_laugh.png

default_saludando.gif
hello from Southern Ontario and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new horse, I am sure you and your daughters will have great fun with Toy. Keep us posted on how your girls are doing with him.

Yvonne

Welcome from Oklahoma!! And what a great gift you've given your girls, letting them grow up with horses!

Thank you again for everyone's welcome!

Sassy's Mom - we are in central Ohio, just west of Columbus.

Sheryl - Nationals with Toy going again would be great!! Unfortunately, the timing is bad. With Todd and I both being teachers, they tend to frown on you taking time off 3 weeks into the new school year after just having summer break!
default_wink.png
Maybe someday! I'm thinking this will be my retirement hobby - only 17 more years left!
default_laugh.png

I grew up with horses - started riding on trails in front of my mom on the saddle when I was 2. I participated in 4-H every year I was eligible and just can't imagine not having horses. I'm enjoying introducing my girls to this love. Olivia is my oldest, 10 going on about 30
default_rolleyes.gif
. She enjoys it, but she's also into a lot of other sports and activities. Maddy is my youngest (she's 6) and I really want this to be her "thing." She was born with only half a heart and has survived 3 open heart surgeries already. She won't be able to do a lot of "traditional" sports but the horses are something she could really get involved with.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
default_saludando.gif

Welcome to the mini world. It's a wonderful and addicting place to be. Been in minis a long time and winding down now in my senior years. Still have 9 to love on and play with.

Joyce from Connecticut

Latest posts

Back