Long term effect of under bite???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetOpal

Reaction score
A friend is looking at a pet quality mini being sold pet quality has no intentions of breeding it, but the little filly has a very predominant under bite, more than a tooth. In the pics I can see that the front teeth are touching the gum far behind the bottom teeth. What long term effects can you expect from this? Will the animal have a tough time eating in the future? Any experiences or opinions shared would be appreciated. Thanks

It IS a bit harder for a horse with a predominate underbite to graze....as the teeth don't meet so they can bite off chunks of grass. Also...they will need to have regular dental care. When the teeth don't "meet", they won't wear down evenly....so those upper & bottom teeth that dont meet will continue to grow & must be filed down regularly, or will cause major problems!

I had always thought a horse with an underbite would have a problem...well, I'd never actually owned one!! I had a mare for three years who had an underbite of a 1/4" when I bought her and a good inch by the time I came to sell her- she was as fat as butter on no supplementary feeding at all- just grazing. I did have her teeth seen to once in that time, but the back ones were fine and really needed no work done. I did however suggest her new owner should have them regularly looked at- it never hurts to point out the possible pitfalls.

Back