Quantcast

Long-lining book recommendations?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Abby P

Reaction score
Not a lot available at a first search. Would love to find something with a more classical dressage bent, since what better pastime than picturing us doing piaffe when we're barely able to make a circle? šŸ˜

On the same note, has anyone taken Andy Marcoux' online long-lining class? He's actually quite local to me so something in-person might happen, post-pandemic. But in the meantime...

TIA!

Dragon Hill

Reaction score
I was hoping someone would respond. I would be interested in knowing what's out there and worth buying.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
This is one of the best books I've found for taking a driving horse from start to finish. Be I've also used bits and pieces of this book to work on things with horses that are already driving.

Attachments

MindySchroder

Reaction score
Long lining books:
This one was recommended to me when I asked about this on a long lining group I am part of on Facebook:
https://www.amazon.com/Long-Reining...rds=long+lining+a+horse&qid=1611332691&sr=8-1

And this one! I really love this gal that wrote this book.
https://www.amazon.com/Dressage-Tra...rds=long+lining+a+horse&qid=1611332732&sr=8-3

And lastly, this one :)
https://www.amazon.com/Dressage-Tra...rds=long+lining+a+horse&qid=1611332732&sr=8-3

As for Andy's class I suggest you take it! It's wonderful. Of course I have loved every single online class I have taken with him. I wish I could have an in person set of lessons from him!! But I'm in Montana so that is probably not something that will happen any time soon...

Zorro and I really enjoy our ground driving/long lining time.
zorrostopandbackup.jpg

Abby P

Reaction score
Thank you, Mindy! The second and third links are the same. :) But that book is the one I was leaning towards at first glance. What about Thomas Ritter's book, have you looked at it?

I feel like even the small amount I have done has helped Rowan feel more confident while pulling the cart. I'm definitely hoping to get over and see Andy Marcoux in person whenever I can - he's about 45 minutes or an hour from me so I could realistically board there for a month of training, even.

MindySchroder

Reaction score
Thank you, Mindy! The second and third links are the same. :) But that book is the one I was leaning towards at first glance. What about Thomas Ritter's book, have you looked at it?

I feel like even the small amount I have done has helped Rowan feel more confident while pulling the cart. I'm definitely hoping to get over and see Andy Marcoux in person whenever I can - he's about 45 minutes or an hour from me so I could realistically board there for a month of training, even.
I have looked at that one but felt it was a bit above my head :) I like books that spell things out in more laymen's language, especially when I am learning something new!

Abby P

Reaction score
Yes, I took a peek as far as Amazon would let me and it does look to be a bit more than I probably need right now! Or maybe ever.

I was amused by his solution to a horse that kicks, though - "find another horse that is a better candidate for long-reining". šŸ˜‚

Latest posts