Long lines for ground driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the best length for long lines for ground driving? Also, do you prefer to make them yourself, or order them online?

I went to TSC and bought 24' of a soft good sized rope that wouldnt burn my hands and fit in the comfortably. I put snaps on each end and sliding snaps further down past the starting snaps to make draw reins. They are one continuous rein with dual purpuses and I love them.

I have tried three times to answer this, but it came back telling me that LB doesn't accept or recognize Photbucket?? When did that happen??

Anyways, here it is, and if you can copy and paste the URL for the pictures, you might be able to see what I am referring to.

This is strange...what does everyone use for pictures now if Photobucket isn't allowed anymore?? Perhaps it is just a momentary glitch; computers...gotta love it when they don't want to talk to each other.
default_rolleyes.gif

I find it easiest with two sets.
One set is only about 10 feet long, and those I use when first starting out...when walking behind the horse, teaching bending and suppling, and doing most of the closer/beginner work. The other ones are probably about 20 feet long, with "parachute cord" for the first 6 feet or so at the bit end. The cord enables me to use the little pullys for more advanced long-lining. Except for the para cord, they are a nice thick corded 1 inch cotton webbing.

I made my own because I have not seen what I wanted in the tack shops in my area.

I use the short ones for the first few times they are ground driven...much less to worry about having to deal with just in case the horse gets confused and gets "antsy". Once they are ready for more advanced work, the much longer, long-lining ones are used. This isn't using the pulleys, as this was this client's horse's first time with the long-lines and a drag. I have no shots using the pulley, (Jambon type of set-up) but it is only for the more advanced, already driving horses to help teach them balance, and collection.

Luckyingaspdrag.jpg

In this shot, you can clearly see the narrower para cord from the bit to past the girth.

SeeIstoppedandstood-wayhometoo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i just use two flat lunge ropesthey come with snap hooks atthe end anyway, and saves money
default_smile.png

How did you go about attaching the parachute cord to the cotton webbing?
I sewed a small loop in the end of the webbing, threaded the cord through it, then tied it back onto itself, then sewed the cord back onto itself with a zillion zig-zag stitches. Use the heaviest nylon thread your sewing machine will take, you will also need a heavier needle than normal. At the bit end, after putting the cord through the pully, and snap hook, I put the end back through two short pieces of webbing, and sewed it too with another zillion zig-zag stitches.

Latest posts

Back