Long Day!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
Started the day off with yet another run to the vet - mare who foaled last Thursday appeared to have an infection so hauled her up. Vet palpated and found a very hard impaction - oiled her this afternoon and I'm still waiting to see oil. She finally passed manure a little while ago but pretty dry stuff. Odd thing is, she doesn't seem uncomfortable now, no rolling, bright eyes - just very hungry.

Then just after midnight we had another filly from a mare who lost her foal last year to a dystocia. Gorgeous bay pinto Affirmed Royalty filly with long legs. She has a strong suck reflex but can't quite figure out how to tilt her head, plus it's the mares first live foal and her nipples are very small. I've fed her some, she's passed meconium and things are generally in working order, but it's fast becoming a very long night. Ready for her to latch on.

Three down, two to go!
default_aktion033.gif
Will update pictures tomorrow.

Jan

Gee, Jan, I can certainly sympathize! I've had two foalings here this year and both mares have had problems with impaction after delivery. The first was a bad dystocia and I can certainly understand why she might have impaction problems. She continued to push and strain for several days. I was so afraid she was going to prolapse her uterus! I kept her on banamine and syringed oil and water down her. She finally straightened out and is fine now. The second mare had a completly normal delivery with her 7th foal I think. But for several days, she was very uncomfortable. She spent a lot of time laying down making it very difficult for the foal to nurse. She passed manure infrequently and when she did the manure balls were huge! Like a full size horse! She was drinking and eating, but for some reason, her system just wasn't functioning normally. Again, I kept her on banamine for about 4 days after foaling and she was more willing to eat, so I mixed up oil and water with alfalfa pellets and she ate that. She finally straightened out and is just fine now 2 weeks after foaling.

My third foal of the season is due this week. What is up with this years foaling mares????

Glad yours are doing okay now Becky. I've had 3 mares foal, the first two impacted and we'll see on this latest one. My vet did say that she now routinely oils the mares who foal out at the clinic after they foal, so it's not just ours.
default_smile.png
(and she foals out a LOT of mares).

Jan

Hope all goes well with your mares. When you mentioned your vet routinely oils after a foaling at the clinic, I thought I might mention that we routinely give each mare a warm very sloppy bran mash with oil, carrots and sometimes other goodies with a bit of grain. Our thought is that it softens things up and makes the first poo easier post foaling.

I don't know about you, but after giving birth to my kids....boy did I dread that first bowel movement (TMI)
default_unsure.png
and I was routinely given stool softeners. I just figure I will pass it on to my mares. Also typically do give banamine as well, but try to hold off for placenta first.

Will keep the mares in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.

so sorry to hear about your mare, I hope she is okay.

Congrats on your foal.
default_aktion033.gif

love to see photos.
default_yes.gif

Jan,

I'm so sorry that you're having problems. My vet told me back in '91 when I first started breeding to not feed any grain and very little hay to a mare after foaling until she has had a bowel movement and everything there is working properly. I have always done this and almost all my mares will have done it within a half day. So they really have not gone very long without food, and there is not a lot of food in their slowed down guts to get impacted right at first.

This has worked for me, and thought I would pass on the tip.

Rita

Oh, Jan.... you must be exhausted!!!

I am glad to hear everything seems to be going in the right direction.

And.......

default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations, on your Filly!!!
default_aktion033.gif

(Can't wait to see pictures.)

-Becky

I hope she feels better soon!!!!

Affirmed Royalty is a beautiful BEAUTIFUL stallion for the photos I have seen! Congrats on a filly from him!

Congrats on the new filly
default_aktion033.gif

Hope your mare feels better
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back