long acting regumate(injectable)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I may want to start a mare on Regumate, but at one point need to be away for a week and my pet sitter won't be able to do it for me. I heard that there is an injection that lasts about a week and can not remember its name. I think I remember its not quite as good as daily Regumate but it would be better than giving nothing for a week. Any one remember its name?

Thanks!

Robin

Robin, I've used injectable Progesterone on mares in the past. It's mixed with oil so it's absorbed slowly. Like you, it's a bit easier with outside help when I'm gone to shows as normally I can give the injection when I'm home and not have to worry about it when I'm gone.

Thanks Becky.

With my breast cancer history, I will have to double glove to give the Regumate to my mare, but That''s no problem for me

. My pet sitter has a history too and I don't want to subject her to handling it, so the injections will be a help for when I am gone.

Robin

Its just injectable progesterone. I'd suggest DOUBLE dosing the week before and after your trip (ie keep Regumate-ing every day that you are there, PLUS give a shot the week before, of, and after your trip). They are NOT interchangable; one is synthetic, the other is not. They both do the same job, but do it slightly differently, enough so that I'd worry about just swapping them back and forth as available (which is not what you are doing, I know). Its also very expensive... a dose can cost you $20+ per shot. You will also run into dosage issues... there is no standard dose (unlike the 1ml/100lbs for Regumate) and every vet has their own opinion on what is needed. Some aim high, others low. Not only that, but some people (myself included) think there is a "too high" dose, that is a standard dose for other vets. Very confusing! I personally would not depend on the shot as the primary drug for very important foals or very difficult mares. Maybe in combination with Regumate, but not as complete replacement. My two cents!

Thank you Nathan. I appreciate your input also.

I am just trying to do right by the mare for the week that I will be away. I will mention these things to the vet. Price is not an issue since it will only be for that brief time. and worth it.

Robin

We had a paint mare we had to keep on something when she was being shown, and rather than having to do the daily Regumate we opted for Depo-Provera - every two weeks if memory serves. I'm guessing it is progesterone. Seemed to do the trick, but then we were using it for an entirely different purpose.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
It is called "LA P4" in oil and is injected every 14 days.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

I wanted to add that I would probably do one or the other, but not switch between the two. If I had a mare on oral Regumate, I wouldn't switch to weekly injections as the progesterone drop could be deadly for the fetus. If I had one on weekly injections and wanted to level out/increase the progesterone with daily Regumate, I would do that, but I would be hesitant to go the other way. Once I start one of those, I wouldn't stop if it's a mare in foal, until she foals. JMO.

I just wanted to clarify that Dopa is NOT progesterone and should absolutely not be confused with Regumate-like products! It has been shown time and again that the horse has no receptors for the Dopa- drug and that its like injecting oil for all the good it does.

Since progesterone liquid is compounded there is no particular name or brand name... its just long acting progesterone, injectable.

Latest posts

Back