Lollipop's horrible foaling ordeal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amysue

Reaction score
So....today sucked. My British Shetland pony mare, Lollipop was due yesterday (always foaled according to the textbook). I bred her to my silver dapple stallion built similar to her (their previous foals were perfect). Last night around 11 I noticed she was bagged up real big and shortly after began labor. At 1:30 am her water broke. At 2am, still no baby, worried, I went in for a look/feel and while I couldn't get roo far, I found the foal not only seriously deformed but also seriously stuck with her head straight back and upside down, her legs twisted and tucked behind her. I could not reposition her and honestly did not feel movement. At that point, knowing what I did about the foal, I decided to prioritize and focus on saving Lollipop, the foal was a loss anyway (I know it sounds awful, but I had to act fast in panic mode and could not justify risking her life for an unviable foal). Called my vet (love her) came right out. She confirmed my suspicion and we immediately decided to get the saw after several attempts to reposition and pull to no avail. Lollipop was so exhausted that it was the next logical choice. Once the vet, myself and hubby (so dedicated) sawed the head off and got it out we got a good idea of the severity of the situation...the foal was severely disfigured. It took a little under an hour to reposition the legs and pull, both vet and hubby went flying backward on their butts once the foal was out. The poor little thing would never have survived. The legs were all twisted and folded over, she could not have stood without braces, shoes and lots of pain. Her body and shoulders were so boxy, that lollipop never could have delivered on her own, even if in the correct position. The filly had no real neck, the head just sort of protruded from the neck and the head was so deformed. Huge dome poll and brow (like a neanderthal), severe underbite and palate deformity and the eyes were not right either, nor were her ears. We are just devistated, not only for the loss, but the deformity took us off guard completely. Have never had even slightly dwarf characteristics in our 20 years of breeding. LollipPop isn't out of the woods yet either, she finally cleaned after 3 doses of oxytosin, she was flushed and is on antibiotics but now we wait and cross our fingers. I have had cows bleed out after this type of surgery and get fatal infections, I am so worried. Does anybody know if Dr. Eberth is still collecting foals for his research? My husband and I would feel better if something good could come of this, we feel so helpless at this point. I will try to upload photos once I resize them (says they're too big to load).

Yes, he is, and I believe there is a place at the top of the Main forum where you can go, and get his information and where to send the foals.

I'm so sorry that you had this experience. We are all hurting for you, but so happy that you and the vet were able to save your mare. Thank you for sharing the steps you took, as others here can learn from your sad experience.

I'm going to move your thread to the Main Forum, so others can learn from you, and you can get the information about Dr. Eberth more easily.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss and your sad experience. We will be praying for Lollipop to come through this and heal quickly.

Again, I'm so sorry, but so happy you were able to save Lollipop.

And if you want, send your photos to me at: [email protected] and I'll resize them and get them uploaded for you.

~~Diane

Last edited:
You're welcome AmySue, and I feel so bad for this heartache.

The pictures are very good at giving more explanation to your text above. I'm so glad you were able to get this little one out of Lollipop. I lost a mare after working with the vet for over an hour to get a little one out -- who was about standing on its head, with legs going in all directions, bent every-which-way. We couldn't even get to the head to remove it, and after an hour, seeing the look in my mares eyes, I knew she was ready for it to be over, and I had the vet put her down. Saddest decision I had to do while I was still breeding.

We did a necropsy in the stall to find out the true position of the little one, and it was a mess inside. Not a dwarf, but hideously contorted -- no way to deliver no matter what we did.

I'm so happy you saved Lollipop, and I'm praying for her quick return to health.

~~Diane

Im so sorry Amysue, that you had to go through this. Sending you my best wishes & I hope your mare makes a fast recovery.

For what its worth, I think you have done an amazing job, to act quickly and calmly and make decisions that none of us would like to have to make.

Take Care, Ryan
default_smile.png

I'm so sorry for your loss and having to endure such a devastating delivery
default_sad.png
my heart goes out to you, may your little mare recover

I am so sorry for your horrific foaling ordeal, praying that your mare is restored to good health. So sad for you and your precious mare.

So sorry, that is an awful experience. I hope lollipop is doing ok. Big hugs ?

I am so very sorry to see this amysue. Bless you and your little mare, I know you must be emotionally wrecked after going through this ordeal. I do have to tell you how impressed I am with the way you handled this situation. Very clear thinking and calm reserve is a gift and/or a struggle that people who foal out their mares just have to possess, you did extremely well describing just that. This is Not for the faint of heart and as your story shows it can happen at any time.

You did right by your sweet girl and her foal, I hope and pray that your precious Lollipop will recover quickly and be fine.
default_pray.gif

I'm so sorry this happened!

Foaling can be an emotional roller coaster with heartbreaks along the way. When we first started breeding, we lost what would have been our first homebred baby as well as our mare, who was really special... Vet was here trying to help save her for hours. She was a former show horse and so nice to drive, beautiful with a great pet personality and I got her from a really good friend. That morning after we lost her, if I had a magic wand, I'd have wished every horse we had to anyone but us. You can feel so bad, you just want out. Felt so heart broken and guilty wishing I'd never bred her.

I know it's crushing to lose a baby. Hang in there and take care of yourself and your sweet mare. Hugs to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry for your loss.Thanks to your quick thinking and calmness you were able to save Lollipop You are experienced enough to know that she will have to be watched carefully to avoid problems, probably for several weeks.Been there done that ,having to cut foal out of mare-not a dwarf, but head back over shoulders.You survived and did so well.Now you know that both Lollipop and the stallion carry the dwarf gene.John Eberth has done so much for the Mini industry with his dwarfism studies.So sorry for your loss and hope your little mare continues on her road to recovery

I'm so very sorry for what you had to go through. You were so brave and and knew exactly what to do to save your mare. It takes an experienced person that can remain calm and to do what you did. Other than my vet I don't know too many people who could have done what you did to save your mare. I'm sure once it was all over then you could feel the emotions of what you just went through. I have to say that I admire you and my heart is touched by your story. I will be praying for your mare to heal and get back to normal and prayers for you as well

I just saw this, what a horrible experience to go through. I am so sorry about the foal. I really hope your mare is healing up well and will be fine.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, kind words and prayers. Lollipop is in good spirits today and enjoyed going out for a walk, even though we still have snow on the ground. I sent an email to John Eberth asking if he would like me to send him the foal and am waiting to hear back. I think that might help us find some closure.

I am so sorry that you had to go through that. Heartbreaking to see the photos. I hope Lollipop continues to improve and that you are able to find the closure that you need. I wish I could make it better for you both.

Back