Locks of Love for cancer patients

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Two very dear friends of mine have been going through a horrible ordeal fighting cancer. I grew up with one of them and we've been friends since we are 4 years old. She has lung cancer and her days are now numbered. My other friend has been close to me for a good 20 years and she has cervical cancer. Both are in very much pain and I have been feeling so helpless that I'm so many miles away and there is nothing I can do for them except love them.

So when they lost their hair this summer, both at the same time, I decided to cut all mine off and donate it to locks for love. This is the 3rd time I have done this. I know it doesn't help them directly but its going to help someone else.

When they both got their wigs, they told me how much that meant to them to be able to feel better about themselves and not having to wear caps and scarfs all the time.

I'm just asking everyone that has long hair to consider cutting it and doing the same thing. Personally I hate myself in shorter hair but Its going to grow back and cancer patients need it. Seriously, its only hair. Besides, its time for a change, right?

What a friend you are indeed Marty. How long is your hair now that you cut it? My hair will never be long because it is soooooooooo thin.

Just want to ask if anyone knows if horse hair is ever donated for wigs? I keep saving it for jewelry but never get around to sending it to have anything made. If I were to cut some bridal paths that hair would likely be long enough for hair pieces or wigs. Just a thought.

It's a special thing to do.......My daughter did it when she was younger (before she colored her hair)...and it was HER idea.

There are requests from Locks of Love....One is they would like a minimum number of inches of hair length.... Marty, is it 6 inches? I don't remember. Two, unless things have changed, your hair can't have any hair dye in it.

A lot of hair salons will cut your hair for free when you tell them what you're doing. They will handle your cut hair differently too.

Bless you, Marty. And my thoughts and prayers go out to your friends fighting the awful "C".

My hair is very long and when it gets to my butt I cut a length off that can be donated to LOL. It takes a couple years but I've done it many times.

They do take gray, colored, or short hair but it is sold.

My rent-a-kid shaved her head when her hair started to fall out and donated her hair. She had gorgeous thick hair but you know, it will grow back and the important thing is the breast cancer is gone. She is 36.

Latest posts

Back