Locking stifle in Weanling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fantacsix

I have a colt that was just fine a week ago, but now that I have weaned him his stifle has suddenly started to lock up. Can they grow out of this? Any help would be appreciated. This colt is show quality and I would love to show him.

There have been a few topics on this in the last little while.

I think the general opinion is that they often grow out of it.

I had a weanling partial lock for 2 months. We manually unlocked it (vet showed up how) and did leg exercises a few times a day. Then he fully locked for a little over 2 months (to the point we couldn't unlock him). I gave up and scheduled the surgery to fix the problem for the following week. Two days before the surgery he unlocked by himself to the vets shock. He was a bit stiff and sore for a while but is now fully unlocked (6 months later) and moves perfectly normal. I did however geld him so as not to worry about possibly passing this on. So it is possible to grow out of it even in extreme cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dynamic, well done to you!!

THAT is the only way to eradicate the problem and I do not care how good the horse is!!!

This is a hereditary, conformational, defect that would be passed on to the next generation.

It is very possible that your colt might grow out of this....there are great classes for geldings!!!

Sometimes Selenium may help, but only if the horse has a Selenium deficiency, sometimes supplements can help (and they also do absolutely NO harm and make the owner feel better...seriously!) but basically, this is an inborn problem.

He needs gentle, free, exercise- did you bring him up to wean him??

If so, he needs to go out, preferably with a quiet companion, or at the very least have a HUGE stall where he can walk around lots.

Good Luck.

Hi all. Today was my first experience with a locked up weanling (well horse in general). I was able to get a hold of a local mini breeder here to help me figure out how to unlock him; since the vet didn't answer her emergency number. I was able to get a hold of the vet and she'll be out later to check him over and see when we can geld him (he's 6 months old). My question is... what else can you do when they lock up? I was told him walk him out to help it unlock. But is there anything else to do?

Here is my little sweetie here
default_wub.png

Pepper.jpg

I have a colt that was just fine a week ago, but now that I have weaned him his stifle has suddenly started to lock up. Can they grow out of this? Any help would be appreciated. This colt is show quality and I would love to show him.

I had a mini stallion that I rescued that had both back stifles locked and I put him on VITA FLEX Vit. E and Selenium. I gave him a double dose for 5 days straight then went to the regular dose of 1 scoop (included in the bucket) daily and he has not had any locking problems at all. I keep him on 1/2 scoop daily and he is fine. You might want to try that. The soil and the feeds we get do not have enough Vit. E and Selenium to help supplement what our minis need. It took my boy 2 weeks to unlock but he was totally locked. Then 1 week later he was out running and playing with my other minis. No more locking stifle problems! When you have the combination of Vit. E and Selenium that seems to work better than just Selenium.

My boy, when I recued him, was standing on cement flooring, no mats and been there since he was 8 months old and when I got him he was 3 years old.

Hope this helps.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what does a locking stifle look like??

I have a weanling that has this issue as well. He is 5 mos old now and it has been locking periodically for about 3 mos. He is a big baby (mom and dad are both 32" and he is already 30"!!) He is growing fast so I am hoping he will grow out of it with time, for now he just spends his days running with his mom and my other gals (aka the aunts) I walk him as well just to get exercise to help build muscle in the hind legs.

Both of his berries have dropped and he has his appt with the vet on the 28th to get those removed!!! In the future if this is still an issue I will have the surgery done for him.

Cheers

Masako

Latest posts

Back