Locked stiffle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Both my vets are out of town till next week.

3 days ago, I woke up to my lil 8 month colt and he was locked solid. He lives in a big pasture and never stalled. I have seen him locked once before a couple of weeks ago, but I got him to unlock, this time I cant and now its been 3 days. What can I give him to help out?

Hes on 1st cutting hay

and 2 scoops of mini horse grain from Purina

and has a selenium block in front of him.

I give him 100lbs of Banimean eveyday for pain and massage his stiffle.

He is going thro a grouth spert too.

Is there anything else I can do till vets come back?

joint meds?

Thanks!

Also 1 more question, is this a conformation thing, or a grouth thing? Neither parents have stiffle issues, and he did grow just over 1 inch really quick. I have read in the past it can be both, but I really need facts and opinions please as he's never had a issue till just reciently and its kinda freakin me out.
default_sad.png

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a lot of horses go through growth spurts and never get locking stifle so I think it's genetic. I feel that it us so common in minis and Shetlands because people make all sorts of excuses about it and so it perpetuates. It's a condition that can come and go deoending on management so its easy to overlook in many cases.

As long as he can get to food and water he should be okay.

My mare couldn't seem to unlock either for several days, but she got by all right. I've heard cold weather can trigger it.

I would not do joint supplement. That has nothing to do with the problem, and some experts are saying that giving the supplement to youngsters can inhibit their own production of the joint material.

Good luck. I feel for you.

Unless it is due to an injury it is, I am sure, genetic and nothing to do with growth.

I wish I could tell you there is an easy answer but I am afraid there isn't.

You have tried backing him up??

This subject has been addressed many times on this forum. Do a search and I think you'll come up with lots of thoughts and ideas. Personally, I do think it is a genetic problem, which is seen a great deal in the breed, hence the reason we constantly see it discussed on this forum.

At this age it is more often a growth issue. Too high a protein can make the bones grow faster then the ligaments. Also, he just may be having a growth spurt. It could take him a while to come out of it. If you get it as an adult, then it could be considered hereditary. Just because the parents do not have it, does not mean that it is not in their background. I would not worry about it unless he continues to have it once he is fully grown.

I would be very disappointed if a growth spurt caused locking stifle in one of my horses. No one grows the youngsters up faster than we do--growth spurts are very common here and yet we have never had locking stifles.

Never.

Please have your vet check it to make sure its actually a locked stifle. I found out with a nine year old mare that sometimes even though it looks like classic case of locked stifle it can actually be an injury that will need anti-inflamatorys, pain killers, and therapy. I thought mine was locked...it was not not locked she just wasnt bending it because of inflamation and pain(which explained why she was biting at me when I would try to massage it for her). Again, please have your vet confirm to be sure it is not an injury.

I agree with Disney and others that this is a conformational/genetic issue. I agree, I dont think it's an emergency (not life threatening) but I would certainly call your vet to make an appt. I have never seen one where supplements or anything else helped as it's not due to lack of... I also have never had an issue with it during 'growth spurts' either.

Latest posts

Back